Thread: Passat B6 Rear door control module on the fritz

Passat B6 Rear door control module on the fritz

Hi All,

Well, this is fun.

The car is reporting in OBD2 that it cannot see the rear right hand door control module (DCM).

I noticed a while back that the rear window decided to become possessed by a demon and decide to wind itself down randomly, while the driver's door couldn't put it back up again (I had to reach over and use the rear door's switch to put it back up).

Plus, the puddle light in the door stopped working......

Hmmm, I thought, not a big deal.

THEN, this morning, I remembered to check if the door itself, gets locked when the main remote locking is actuated. NOPE!!!!

BUGGER. Lucky the main alarm is activated when a door is opened, but I think with no control module, this is NOT going to happen without a door trigger going off. FUDGE!

Carista scan shows a "communication error between main DCM and rear right door DCM" which I assume means a broken wire or transmission path between the rear door and somewhere else?

So, looking inside the door jamb, I can see the boot is a little crimped on the inside, which I will have to peel back and see if the wires are intact, if not, then perhaps I can repair these and test.

Otherwise, has anyone else experienced this in their B6 or other models? Should I start with the door wiring boot, or look somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Users Country Flag
    Start with the wiring Get a multi meter and a couple of pins poke the pins into each wire on opposite side of the loom. Like outside the door and further inside and see which one is broken
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 28-01-2020 at 09:01 AM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Yep start with the wiring. Not unheard of.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    You have working puddle lights in the doors? Mine have never illuminated - were they discontinued on later Passats?
    Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC, RVC, BT 9w7, Tint and Factory Towbar.
    Atlantic Blue MY19.5 Golf GTI
    Options: Luxury Package and Sound & Style Package.

Users Country Flag
    Puddle lights can be easily retrofitted and coded in the door controllers
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by prn31 View Post
    You have working puddle lights in the doors? Mine have never illuminated - were they discontinued on later Passats?
    Check out my post thread here for details and how they look Courtesy door lamps in R36 2008 wagon?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk