Thread: Parcel Shelf Removal 2013 Passat Sedan

Users Country Flag

Parcel Shelf Removal 2013 Passat Sedan

My parking system, including reverse camera, isn't working. A mate scanned my ECU and got error code 1080340 Parking System Fault. There were no additional codes to indicate what was causing the fault. A search of various forums revealed a failure of the rear parking system buzzer (H15) can cause the whole system to be locked out. The buzzer is mounted under the parcel shelf on the right (first pic). It can only be accessed by removing the parcel shelf.

Step 1 in that process is to remove the side covers on the rear pillars. I've tried pulling these away from the pillars, but they don't want to let go. I reckon if I pull any harder something's going to break. They have "Airbag" written on them so I really don't want to damage them. I've shone a torch in there but it didn't reveal what type of clips are securing the covers.

I found some info on how to remove the parcel shelf on a B6, but it's completely different to mine. Can someone please advise the method for removing these covers on a B7?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parcel Shelf Removal 2013 Passat Sedan-buzzer-location-jpg   Parcel Shelf Removal 2013 Passat Sedan-side-cover-jpg  

Last edited by jack in oz; 02-01-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Open this scroll down its all there

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jgs...ew?usp=sharing
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks heaps for that. I'm sure that will come in handy. However my C-pillar trim seems to have a different clip arrangement to the one shown in your service manual (page 149). The orange clip on the right in the diagram isn't there. Whatever is holding the trim on is directly behind the small plastic badge with AIRBAG written on it (visible in the pic in the OP). I'm wondering if there's a screw behind that badge? I was pulling VERY hard on the trim and it didn't budge.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jack in oz View Post
    Thanks heaps for that. I'm sure that will come in handy. However my C-pillar trim seems to have a different clip arrangement to the one shown in your service manual (page 149). The orange clip on the right in the diagram isn't there. Whatever is holding the trim on is directly behind the small plastic badge with AIRBAG written on it (visible in the pic in the OP). I'm wondering if there's a screw behind that badge? I was pulling VERY hard on the trim and it didn't budge.
    More than likely and i had the same with the A pillar and when I tried to pull that airbag marked clip it broke as it has 4 prongs in behind and I levered it with a screwdriver and broke the two on one end off. I ended up holding it in with bluetack
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I found a 2015 edition of the same manual. There's a screw behind the airbag emblem.

Got it off. Here's how it's done:

1. Carefully pry off the plastic AIRBAG emblem. It's on tight. I placed a paint scraper against the trim to protect it and used a butter knife to pry the emblem off.
    2. Remove the T20 torx screw.
    3. Pull the top edge of the C-pillar trim away from the pillar, starting at the front edge. There are three clips that should release with a slight tug.
    Pull the trim up to release the bottom edge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parcel Shelf Removal 2013 Passat Sedan-c-pillar-trim-emblem-removed-jpg   Parcel Shelf Removal 2013 Passat Sedan-emblem-jpg  

Parcel Shelf Removal 2013 Passat Sedan-img_7373-jpg   Parcel Shelf Removal 2013 Passat Sedan-c-pillar-trim-jpg  

So I managed to get the parcel shelf out and remove the reverse buzzer. It was open circuit. It's meant to be 50 ohms. I plugged a 47 ohm resistor into the socket. Now my reversing camera and park assist 'radar' is working again. I can't believe VW would design the system that way.

For future readers, when reinstalling the C-pillar trim remove the 3 clips from the trim with a screwdriver and install them in the slots in the pillar as per this service bulletin:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parcel Shelf Removal 2013 Passat Sedan-screen-shot-2021-01-03-2-04-05-pm-jpg  
    Last edited by jack in oz; 03-01-2021 at 01:34 PM.