Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No idea why this is happening.

Users Country Flag

No idea why this is happening.

I’ve had my MY10 R36 for four years and absolutely love it. About once every 3-4 months a curious thing happens when I am driving on one particular section of road on my way home. It happens on this 5km stretch of road, and only in the one direction. From memory I have experienced this in other places, but I would say 99% of the time it is on this stretch of road.

I live about 30km from work, and the way home consists of the following terrain:
    - 5 km of flat city driving. Stop/start up to 50km/h, followed by
    - 3 km of uphill winding road to an altitude of about 300m, maximum of 70km/h, followed by
    - 2 km of slightly steeper downhill winding road, maximum of 80km/h, followed by
    - 20 km of mostly smaller hills and winding roads back to home

When I am driving up the 3 km uphill section, and when I apply the accelerator after rounding a corner, the engine dies for a second causing the car to slow down as if I had applied the brakes, before power resumes and it speeds up. It never happens in the first section of the hill, always in the top section. Sometimes it does it a couple of times in quick succession, say over 3-4 seconds, and sometimes again on following corners. It very occasionally happens going down the other side, I guess because I am just coasting down and not using the accelerator much. I have noticed it happen a few times right at the bottom when I have stepped on the gas. It doesn’t happen again for the remainder of the journey home.

I drive to work on the same route, but it has never happened in that direction.

It never happens on the open road at 100km/h (and faster when overtaking!) or under hard acceleration. Just completed a round trip of about 600 km on open roads with no issues.

I always use 98 octane fuel and stick to the service schedule with the local VW dealer.

Had about 30k on the clock when I got it, and has about 75k on the clock now.

I have no idea why this happens, and would be very interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
    2010 Passat R36 - Icelandic Grey / BT / MDI / Power Tailgate / RVC / Cargo Management System / 19" Lugano Wheels

2005 35th Anniversary 350Z - Ultra Yellow / Stillen True Dual Exhaust / Motordyne MREV 2 and Plenum Spacer

Users Country Flag
    Any error codes?
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag
    Im wondering if you are (without realizing) pressing the throttle pedal while your foot is still partly on the brake - which on these cars cuts the power to the engine temporarily.

I used to do this occasionally in my Golf GTI and it drove me bonkers. Easy enough to do in a situation where you are going up a hill where you are on and off the brake and throttle all the time.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Passat R36 View Post
    Any error codes?
    Workshop have not advised me of any, but I will ask them specifically at the next service.
    2010 Passat R36 - Icelandic Grey / BT / MDI / Power Tailgate / RVC / Cargo Management System / 19" Lugano Wheels

2005 35th Anniversary 350Z - Ultra Yellow / Stillen True Dual Exhaust / Motordyne MREV 2 and Plenum Spacer

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Im wondering if you are (without realizing) pressing the throttle pedal while your foot is still partly on the brake - which on these cars cuts the power to the engine temporarily.

I used to do this occasionally in my Golf GTI and it drove me bonkers. Easy enough to do in a situation where you are going up a hill where you are on and off the brake and throttle all the time.
    interesting possibility. When it happens next I will check it out.

As as I said it only happens in that small stretch of road, and I drive lots of hills elsewhere.

While I hardly ever let the fuel tank get below half full, I did wonder if this is a fuel supply issue created by a long uphill drive and twisty turns. Again odd that it happens mainly in one stretch of road.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Netrover View Post
    interesting possibility. When it happens next I will check it out.

As as I said it only happens in that small stretch of road, and I drive lots of hills elsewhere.

While I hardly ever let the fuel tank get below half full, I did wonder if this is a fuel supply issue created by a long uphill drive and twisty turns. Again odd that it happens mainly in one stretch of road.
    If the tank was quite low then it could certainly be a possibility, but anything more than say 1/3 of a tank then i cant imagine it would be an issue.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Also refer to this thread as it might be the same/similar issue: Low fuel pressure and misfire?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    If the tank was quite low then it could certainly be a possibility, but anything more than say 1/3 of a tank then i cant imagine it would be an issue.
    Thanks for the reference. I will pass this on to the workshop next service.

(deleted)

Users Country Flag

One thought is clutches

Scenario Going up hill take foot off going into corner, car slows due to uphill.

Go around corner no throttle Car thinks you are slowing and has gearbox ready to change down again. However you hit the loud pedal and woops, gearbox has to change to other clutch to change up which take a small bit of time.
    Just a thought
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast