Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New R36 Owner

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Soooo long time since I've updated here.

I now have a Supersprint Catback exhaust which sounds good overall.

Had the oil changed as you'd expect and a general checkup.
    Replaced the PCV Diaphragm, the old one wasn't torn but it was very old and fell apart in my hands.
    Rocker cover gasket was replaced here too
    VW Diagnosed issue as HPFP
    This was later suggested to be the Vaccum Pump
    I then later (as per VW's advice) found that the issue was the timing chain noise
    Timing is OK and I'm OK to drive this for now, but will consider doing this soon.

Front hubs (and bearings) were replaced (Threads were stuffed from someone running non-hub centric spacers)..
    All

Replaced Coilpacks (5 of 6), one of these is GLUED into the car. I'm yet to get this out without damaging the wiring..
    This stopped the random intermittent misfires on dead cold start, no errors were reported but it is definitely better.

Replaced all brake lines with ECS Braided lines and a brake flush (Bendix Super Dot 4) while I was in NSW at a mates Garage.

Coolant Change - Done
    * Also changed the coolant tank, that annoying heater core flange and gasket.

Potentially changing Coolant Temp sensor
    *Wasn't needed

Mk6R/Gti wheel Swap (waiting for a good deal to be honest)
    * Had a deal for this fall through, not too fussed at all I've come to like the R36 wheel over time.

Blue BBS Center Caps
    * Settled for Red stickers to cover fake Audi center caps, they look OK

Finding a used Dynaudio setup to swap in
    * Ended up getting some 6.5 speaker adapters and will get some speakers at some point, not in a rush.

Reverse camera
    * On The Way (taken almost 2 months in the mail)

New shocks and potentially lowered springs (Thinking Bilsteins) which I found a pair of fronts on Facebook brand new for sale cheap but it's not a good time right now for this.
    * Got a set of used Koni Yellows that arrived today and H&R Lowering Springs (25mm drop)
    * Getting new dust boots, bump stops and strut tops as well

To Do;
    Finish suspension - parts on the way and install this
    Timing Chain Stuff - Have put through for a quote on this, still looking to source OEM/Quality parts. Am going to just replace the sprockets, despite it adding a big cost to the parts now it's small in relation to the labour costs.
    Find a plastic under tray (I hate these, but it's useful to have)
    Replace that last coilpack
    Speakers + Sub

Users Country Flag
    Hey mate, if you are looking at doing Dynaudio retrofit still, I have the R36 Dynaudio amp at home, I have been meaning to sell it but haven't gotten around to it yet. Any interest? I bought it for my car and briefly fitted it with the stock speakers, but I ended up doing an RCD330 infotainment swap which doesn't support the Dynaudio amp properly as it doesn't have the same VCDS adaptions, so I went back to stock amp. It is plug and play for MY08-09 but VW changed the amp plug for MY10, I have the adapter for that. (Which is extremely rare, FYI.)
    Candy White Volkswagen R36 Variant MY10.5
    Options: Auto Tailgate, Bluetooth, Moonroof, Reverse Cam, Sat Nav
    Modifications: HPA Race Haldex, RD Technik Stage 1 ECU/TCU, iPE Valvetronic Exhaust, EVO-MS Intake, and plenty more...

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeys View Post
    Hey mate, if you are looking at doing Dynaudio retrofit still, I have the R36 Dynaudio amp at home, I have been meaning to sell it but haven't gotten around to it yet. Any interest? I bought it for my car and briefly fitted it with the stock speakers, but I ended up doing an RCD330 infotainment swap which doesn't support the Dynaudio amp properly as it doesn't have the same VCDS adaptions, so I went back to stock amp. It is plug and play for MY08-09 but VW changed the amp plug for MY10, I have the adapter for that. (Which is extremely rare, FYI.)
    It pains me to say this but..

I don't have a stock head unit, so it would therefore wouldn't work at all if I'm correct?

How much are you after anyway, incase it would work / I know someone who may be interested.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    It pains me to say this but..

I don't have a stock head unit, so it would therefore wouldn't work at all if I'm correct?

How much are you after anyway, incase it would work / I know someone who may be interested.
    I'm not sure to be honest! In theory it would if the stock one does, but I don't really know. I was chasing $250.
    Candy White Volkswagen R36 Variant MY10.5
    Options: Auto Tailgate, Bluetooth, Moonroof, Reverse Cam, Sat Nav
    Modifications: HPA Race Haldex, RD Technik Stage 1 ECU/TCU, iPE Valvetronic Exhaust, EVO-MS Intake, and plenty more...

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeys View Post
    I'm not sure to be honest! In theory it would if the stock one does, but I don't really know. I was chasing $250.
    I'll have to pass, as much as I hate to say it. It'd require me to re-wire it from what I have found.

Anyway big update for now.

Finally got my 3sub12 and Helix G-One installed, I don't really push it at all but it's a nice smooth subtle bass.

The bigger aspect of this is my suspension!

Replaced;
    · Used Koni Yellow Shocks
    Front: 8741 1488 SPORT
    Rear: 8040 1352 SPORT
    · Used H&R Lowering Springs
    Part Number: 29162
    · Lemforder Strut Mounts – Original mounts were still fine, I still have these
    · Suspension Strut Bearings – Passenger side fell apart in my hands, these were also thicker then the original
    · Rear Shock mount (these honestly looked fine previously, however they did come with new bolts which were too short so had to use the originals

Car sits insanely low now, I can't say that I feel that it's super convenient for a daily drive but I'll see how I go. I can always put the stock springs back into it to raise the front up and keep the Koni Yellows as they should be short enough being R36 springs (as opposed to B6 Passat which sits 20mm higher). It does ride a LOT better overall.

New R36 Owner-20200726_211547-jpg

New R36 Owner-116235192_207167727381432_507797537042156850_n-jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12