Thread: New MY09 R36 Wagon Owner

New MY09 R36 Wagon Owner

Hi All!

Last month I picked up a high km R36 wagon. I was originally being very picky (the usual: LF MY10.5, ~100k kms, biscay/white etc.) but came across quite a stunning black MY09 with 213xxx kms. Previous owner had leased from the dealership with the intent of doing shop runs and long trips for business. It had a pretty satisfying service history with the bulk of services after about 140k done at VW. Interior looked reasonable and it drove quite well. It was a steal so I couldn't say no.

New MY09 R36 Wagon Owner-r36-jpg

Jump forward a few weeks and there is some work to be done . I hope to start a thread on this to help others looking at buying something with >200k kms. First things first, after lifting up the rear seats I found a variety of assorted treats. Many of which were mouldy (thanks kids) and half a shopping bag of lolly/chocolate wrappers pushed into every crevice. After a good vacuum that was sorted, now I just need to hit the interior with my Autoglym kit today to try and get rid of the small scuffs and stains.

It was serviced before collection - but i'm not fully confident in the work done (oil looks a bit dark...). So I'm looking at visiting Euro Werke next month (any other options in the west are welcome) who have quoted $1350 for:
    • Oil + filter
    • Brake fluid
    • Cabin filter
    • Air filter
    • Spark plugs
    • Dsg oil + filter
    • Haldex oil change
    • Full inspection

So far the only other major thing that's been identified is the car clunks around when coming to a stop. The mechanic who did my Blue Slip suggested doing the suspension bushings. I'll probably end up doing something similar to this post.
    The other concern I have is around the trans/DSG - In 1st and 2nd in particular, the car is very "flaccid" it feels like it takes a lot of slack from the pedal before I get going, and when I do it just doesn't feel as tight as it should. Some posts suggest this is the transmission mounts, others suggest clutch issue with the DSG.

Finally, there is the head unit what a disaster. Yep, you guessed it - some cheap and nasty big screen android crap. Bluetooth doesn't work, neither do any of the provided AUX/cables hanging out. @Kamold I'll appear in your PM's at some point .

There's a few more things that need addressing, I'll post as I get to them
    Last edited by Chrispiano; 15-11-2020 at 08:58 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Welcome to the forum Chrispiano. Your R36 looks great! Looking forward to seeing more photos of it due course.

Things are a bit quiet on here, seems most people are doing the Facebook thing, which isn’t my cup of tea. There is plenty of information on both the B6 & B7 forum as well as older posts on the B4 & B5 forum before it was split. Not too many posters have their own “build” thread on here. Of course Kamold’s is the most comprehensive, also there is Jakeys, Brendan’s and I have one as well here:
    prn31's Biscay Blue MY10.5 R36 Wagon

The R36s are not without their problems – most documented on here. I’ve had my issues in the five years I’ve owned my MY10.5 but not with the timing chains or the DSG. I love mine and have no intention of moving it on– don’t know what I would replace it with anyway.

I’ve heard good things about Euro Werke but I take mine to Alfredo at Muller and Muller in Dural. He is very thorough.
    Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC with Front Assist, RVC, BT 9w7, Factory Tint and Factory Towbar
    Night Blue MY15.5 Golf GTI Performance
    Options: Black Vienna Leather, DAP II, Panoramic Sunroof and Voice Control (every box ticked.)

Hi prn31,

Bit late to respond (lazy) but I have to say thanks for recommending Muller and Muller. Alfredo has been great (been twice now) and I think his pricing is very competitive!

Hopefully I can get a bit more active with my posting - keep an eye out!

Cheers