Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to buy a Passat Alltrack MY13: loss of confidence in VAG cars

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hoyagg957 View Post
    sn809 and Hillbilly thanks for the clarification, so basically most cars right now that did not have their takata airbag done are going to be deregistered? Or are the parts no longer available only those of VAG cars?

If it's mostly VAG cars, It is their fault for not finding/making/planning enough parts to fix them. Well even if most brands have the issue, the fact that VAG buy them back for peanuts is still their fault.

Does anyone know about the 5 year warranty on gearboxes, if it applies to all passats up to mid 2013 or after that as well? Is it by year model or release date? Thanks
    Its not VW's fault about that air bags as multiple makes are affected as we have already said. How can any manufacturer make allowances for 1M plus faulty bags that they were SUPPLIED WITH. It isnt the makers fault that they cant get parts as the supplier went bankrupt and is no longer making that type of bag and there are no alternatives available. They are actually going beyond what it could be reasonably be expected for vehicles of that age.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    You might not be drivng it for long then as it seems those that dont get done will be deregistered after the end of the year
    Depends on the state, let's just say that I have it sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyagg957 View Post
    sn809 and Hillbilly thanks for the clarification, so basically most cars right now that did not have their takata airbag done are going to be deregistered? Or are the parts no longer available only those of VAG cars?

If it's mostly VAG cars, It is their fault for not finding/making/planning enough parts to fix them. Well even if most brands have the issue, the fact that VAG buy them back for peanuts is still their fault.

Does anyone know about the 5 year warranty on gearboxes, if it applies to all passats up to mid 2013 or after that as well? Is it by year model or release date? Thanks
    I agree with your comment, other manufacturers are doing the same thing but for the most part being reasonable.

Honda gave my mother 3k for her '97 Honda CRV, yet people with Audi A4 Quattro's are being offered $500.. Yeah that's fair.

Audi have handled it terribly, I do not understand why the reason "there is a shortage of airbags" when the US is getting Airbags made for their Audis, NZ had an Airbag recall years ago..

Even if I wasn't an old Audi nutter, I don't understand how legally they're allowed to do this. The valuations that Audi are making are a joke, not to mention how terrible it is for the environment to just crush and destroy millions of cars that would otherwise still be used.

It still feels like some form of scam with just writing off all the older cars, forcing people to buy newer plastic cars that fall to bits.. but that's just me

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    Depends on the state, let's just say that I have it sorted.

I agree with your comment, other manufacturers are doing the same thing but for the most part being reasonable.

Honda gave my mother 3k for her '97 Honda CRV, yet people with Audi A4 Quattro's are being offered $500.. Yeah that's fair.

Audi have handled it terribly, I do not understand why the reason "there is a shortage of airbags" when the US is getting Airbags made for their Audis, NZ had an Airbag recall years ago..

Even if I wasn't an old Audi nutter, I don't understand how legally they're allowed to do this. The valuations that Audi are making are a joke, not to mention how terrible it is for the environment to just crush and destroy millions of cars that would otherwise still be used.

It still feels like some form of scam with just writing off all the older cars, forcing people to buy newer plastic cars that fall to bits.. but that's just me
    I suppose one way is to register it in another state but that falls down after the time you have to register it in the state you live in.. I hope the Federal Govt makes all states deregister them
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I was going to update my steering wheel to the 12 button one with out cruise control but am holding off due to this. I don't want to end up with a crap airbag, but the main issue is all the other parts are very much usable and are going to waste, they should atleast offer Redbook value, I do agree 500 for any working Audi is just bonkers.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I suppose one way is to register it in another state but that falls down after the time you have to register it in the state you live in.. I hope the Federal Govt makes all states deregister them
    Yeah I mean I live in a state where they aren't doing this yet, or at least it's not announced.

I do hope they force VW/Audi to fix them or at least offer something decent or something that's worth considering.., if they force us to deregister them this will make it a mandatory recall, as it stands it's still a voluntary recall. So they shouldn't be able to actually deregister the car.. I mean this is logic which doesn't really apply in the real world..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12