Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED Headlights on B6?

Users Country Flag

LED Headlights on B6?

Has anyone with standard headlights on a B6 Passat upgraded to LED?
    If yes, what product did you buy and how much work was involved?
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag
    You would need to fit complete headlights to be legal and wont be cheap.. EG Tiguan ones from China can be $800 a side
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Hillbilly. That kills that idea!
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag
    Could you not just swap your standard halogen globes for a pair of those?

H4 9003 2000W 1200000LM LED Headlight Globes kit Conversion Bulbs High Low Beam | eBay
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Navman View Post
    Could you not just swap your standard halogen globes for a pair of those?

H4 9003 2000W 1200000LM LED Headlight Globes kit Conversion Bulbs High Low Beam | eBay
    Not legally you cant as the reflectors for LED are a lot different to whats fitted to the vehicle and they will flare like the sun , despite what the advertiser says

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Not legally you cant as the reflectors for LED are a lot different to whats fitted to the vehicle and they will flare like the sun , despite what the advertiser says
    That can only mean one thing - that I have been driving with my LED replacement bulbs illegally.

But perhaps it's not a clear cut as RACQ states: "Many (LED's) have mild blue colouring of the glass envelope, are marked as ADR compliant and are legal for road use." Besides many cars companies nowadays offer factory upgrades without the need for a projector/reflector replacement by fitting "ADR approved" globes.
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

Users Country Flag
    That can only mean one thing - that I have been driving with my LED replacement bulbs illegally.

But perhaps it's not a clear cut as RACQ states: "Many (LED's) have mild blue colouring of the glass envelope, are marked as ADR compliant and are legal for road use." Besides many cars companies nowadays offer factory upgrades without the need for a projector/reflector replacement by fitting "ADR approved" globes.
    Quite probably you have been like a lot of others and the idiots who fit 6000K bulbs and think they look pretty when in actual fact they have a lower light output than 4500k-5000k bulbs

Yes they are ADR approved for use in the CORRECT HOUSINGS. Not stuffed in a set of Halogen housings and look like the sun coming towards you

Giving Your Old Car LED Headlights Usually Isn't Worth It

From RACQ

LED headlights
    LED headlights

An increasing number of new vehicles are appearing with original equipment Light Emitting Diode (LED) headlights. These are acceptable under Australian Design Rule 46 and their claimed benefits include reduced power consumption that translates into fuel savings and emission reductions.
    Aftermarket LED headlights
    There are also aftermarket LED conversions available that use an LED bulb in the vehicle's original headlight assembly. We are not aware of these having been tested and certified as meeting the requirements of ADR46, and without this certification they are not acceptable for on-road use.
    Compliance issues

LEDs change colour slightly as they warm up, and the ability of such conversions to focus and direct their light output correctly.
    LED bulbs are constructed differently and give off light in a different way to conventional filament or gas discharge bulbs, so there is a concern that the headlight's output could be affected, causing glare to other road users.
    LED headlights also require a self-levelling system as defined in ADR 13.

Advice received from Queensland's Department of Transport and Main Roads is that due to differences in headlight design, these conversions would need to be certified for the particular application, rather than just as a blanket approval for the LED bulb.

We understand that some Queensland drivers have already been fined for using these unapproved conversions.

Users Country Flag
    Quite probably you have been like a lot of others and the idiots who fit 6000K bulbs and think they look pretty when in actual fact they have a lower light output than 4500k-5000k bulbs
    Not the case at all - I've measured the output before I fitted them. The thing with LED's is a bit like the speed limits - do you ever ONLY drive at signposted speed? There are literally thousands of drivers who fitted those LED's to their cars and while that fact doesn't make it legal I have never seen anybody pulled over just for "illegal LED's". True, that some idiots fit 100-120W output LED's in place of low beam (50W) halogens and they are the ones that blind you (on low beam) at night. I agree - they should definitely be fined for doing so.

Users Country Flag
    Not the case at all - I've measured the output before I fitted them. The thing with LED's is a bit like the speed limits - do you ever ONLY drive at signposted speed? There are literally thousands of drivers who fitted those LED's to their cars and while that fact doesn't make it legal I have never seen anybody pulled over just for "illegal LED's". True, that some idiots fit 100-120W output LED's in place of low beam (50W) halogens and they are the ones that blind you (on low beam) at night. I agree - they should definitely be fined for doing so.
    So in your mind if its only a "little bit illegal" its OK. Get caught for being the cause of another persons accident because of your flaring lights and you may have cause to rethink that.

Also by fitting illegal equipment your vehicle is technically unroadworthy, with associated possible insurance implications.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 04-02-2021 at 08:04 AM.

Users Country Flag

So in your mind if its only a "little bit illegal" its OK. Get caught for being the cause of another persons accident because of your flaring lights and you may have cause to rethink that.

Also by fitting illegal equipment your vehicle is technically unroadworthy, with associated possible insurance implications.

But when you're going 63km in 60km zone you're also breaking the law. I won't be convinced that you have never done that in your driving life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast