Thread: Key fob not unlocking doors

Users Country Flag

Key fob not unlocking doors

So a bit of a strange one and not an obvious answer.

When I press door unlock nothing happens. However, boot unlock and lock work. I thought, okay, fob battery seems fine, maybe button worn or broken. Used the emergency key to get in and car started fine.

Thought I'd get the spare key fob which has rarely been used, went out to the car and it did exactly the same thing!

Thus, fob battery isn't the issue, the unlock button isn't the problem either.

The fob started working again later.

The only other possibility is that it's some kind of warning that the car battery could be on the way out? I've been told the battery was due for replacement at my last service last year but with COVID it's been put off.

I've got it booked in for a new battery at the next service in the next few weeks.

Can anyone confirm my theory?

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    Probably correct
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Good to know - mine is doing similar thing and changing to a spare (very rarely used) fob didn't help either. I've charged up the battery for close to 8 hours but it didn't seem to do much. Another thing I noticed is that the key would only unlock the vehicle (if at all) from a very short distance away. Still I thought such a large DIN battery would surely last at least 5 years. Perhaps they don't make them like they used to ...
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going