Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jakeys R36

Users Country Flag

Jakeys R36

Hiya guys,

So I've come as I'm very seriously considering an R36 at the moment, specifically an MY10.5 white wagon. Strongly prefer RNS510 (Although I read it can be retrofitted pretty easily, just another expense to tack on) and the more other options the merrier and sub 100,000kms. There are a few on the market, one in particular that I want to fly over to look at in two weeks if it hasn't sold by then as it fits my criteria pretty well and looks alright.

So I've used the search feature and it looks like I need to make sure the big 60-65,000km mark service has been done properly, and to make sure it shifts smoothly and quickly when cold and hot. I also know the driver's seat bolster can fail but I can always get that fixed. What other markers should I be looking for in these cars?

As a bonus, if the owner of the car is a member here or if anyone has inspected it, that too would be very helpful indeed! It's been on the market for a bit now, hopefully there's not some glaring issue I'm gonna fly over and run into.

Thanks!

Jake

Users Country Flag
    I remember seeing the Ad of this one a few months ago when I was hunting the R36. It's gone from carsales after being listed a while and then it's back on carsales again recently.

As a MY10.5, not too much to worry about. Check the gear shift when testing, especially the Reverse gear, normally it should be quiet and smooth.
    Last edited by Passat R36; 30-07-2014 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typo
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Passat R36 View Post
    I remember seeing the Ad of this one a few months ago when I was hunting the R36. It's gone from carsales after being listed a while and then it's back on carsales again recently.

As an MY10.5, not too much to worry about. Check the gear shift when testing, especially the Reverse gear, normally it should be quiet and smooth.
    Alright, thanks. Am I to assume there were some decent mechanical revisions between the initial '08 release and the final model? I read about a DSG revision for the MY10 I think, but haven't found that again.

Mainly it's the fact all the bugs would hopefully be ironed out and also the white cluster, no silly blue screens on the climate (Bit OCD of me) and iPod MDI.

Also, wouldn't happen to remember what price it was listed at earlier this year? I first saw it mid June, and it was at 37k.
    Last edited by Jakeys; 30-07-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Users Country Flag
    sorry mate, no memory for the price back then. good luck. R36 is great.
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag
    They were mechanically relatively unchanged from release until they canned them. A few small revisions here and there, but nothing major. Same engine code all the way through, too. For the trainspotters, this is a pretty big deal!

Usually a pretty good car. Only ever come across a couple that have had issues mechanically.

Look out for timing chain rattle on cold start-up (at the gearbox-end of the engine). If it does, it's usually a chain tensioner on the way out. They fixed this with a revised tensioner.

Also look out for a rough idle or flat spots under acceleration. Could be either carbon build-up, a dead coil pack, or a dead injector. A scan tool will highlight the last two.

As said, the DSG should be smooth at all times. Clunking into 1st from 2nd as you come to a stop is a sign of a dying Mechatronics unit.

Rear wheels should be chatter-free when performing full-lock low-speed turns. If not, the Haldex coupling needs attention.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Very helpful mate, thank you. Well, let's hope she sits around for a couple more weeks and I can fly over to Vic and have a crack at buying one.

Users Country Flag
    That one was originally advertised for about 3k more. It's a little rough. Lots of wear on the drivers seat. I passed on it.

Users Country Flag
    dsg on the newer models say my09+ is going to be less likely to have mechatronic issues.

Quote Originally Posted by b j p View Post
    That one was originally advertised for about 3k more. It's a little rough. Lots of wear on the drivers seat. I passed on it.
    Could you give me a bit more info on the wear, reasons it was rough? I'm actually flying out Saturday to pick it up. I got him to send me more photos, I saw the bolster is showing signs of wear but it's passed all the third party mechanical/finance/accident checks I've thrown at him, and we agreed on a price that I can say I'm pretty pleased with. Visually it seemed to be in good nick to me from the photos.
    Last edited by Jakeys; 13-08-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Well, the car is now in my possession. Having seen and driven it in person, I found it to be in excellent condition. There is very minor rash on one of the wheels and a scratch underneath the front bar (Not visible standing up) and I noticed the lumbar support doesn't seem to do anything on the driver's seat, but otherwise it appears to be perfect. Driver's seat has basically no wear, bolster looked worn as usual in the photos but appears to have already been repaired. Very impressed for the negotiated price. Everyone's opinions vary but as a very picky buyer/owner, I don't find it to be rough at all. With a detail and fixing the lumbar problem, it will be an extremely good car. Wheels are being replaced anyway. (Phaeton Omanyt 19x9's if I can find them.)

I will put a ride thread up at some point, but thank you all for your advice.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast