Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Jakeys R36

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeys View Post
    They're all basically the same, make sure the picture is correct and the price is correct (Around $130 or so) and you're golden.
    Thanks Jakeys got them on order, sitting tight for the first minor mod (part II).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Finally starting to be properly proud of how it looks now it's been professionally detailed and Opticoated and I've done most of the cosmetic work I wanted to. Just wish it had the proper stainless or blued steel tips and some spacers and this pic would be perfect. On the cards for next year!
    Candy White Volkswagen R36 Variant MY10.5
    Options: Auto Tailgate, Bluetooth, Moonroof, Reverse Cam, Sat Nav
    Modifications: HPA Race Haldex, RD Technik Stage 1 ECU/TCU, iPE Valvetronic Exhaust, EVO-MS Intake, and plenty more...

Sparkle sparkle!
    Modifications: HPA Race Haldex, RD Technik Stage 1 ECU/TCU, iPE Valvetronic Exhaust, EVO-MS Intake, and plenty more...

Jakeys your beast is exceptional!
    I see you're in good company also with AdamD's S3 Jakeys R36

Yes, Adam's S3 condition wise puts mine to shame! Still, thanks for the compliment.

Has been getting close to four years since I updated this thread, I'm more of a Facebook group guy these days than forums, but I have been back here lately looking for Arteon R discussions and some technical info on my car.

I still have this R36, it is still going really well. It has now done 165,000kms. Trying to think back what I have done since 2016, I don't really remember where I last updated this thread, so I might have missed some minor mods I might have done like DRL's, quad LED tails, the ECU and TCU tunes/crackle map, I dunno.

For the past year though a few minor cosmetic issues have cropped up that I have let slip, but am finally now addressing in one several thousand dollar swoop. In particular, the paint on my passenger door and front quarter is pretty disgusting, it turns out the original owner I bought the car from back in 2014 must have had some kind of accident that didn't damage the frame or anything but required a respray on those panels. It was probably polished up and new when he sold it so I couldn't tell, but those panels keep deteriorating and rather than just continue to polish it every year to hide the crap quality paint, I am just going to get them professionally resprayed. I'll get my brake calipers done at the same time as they are a bit faded as with most R36's.

On top of that, I'm replacing a tail light, puddle light and DRL for missing LED's, my reverse camera because I replaced the old RNS510 with an Android Auto compatible RCD330 that didn't like my camera, and both front seat bases to repair the typical R36 crushed bolster problem. Then a detail, and she will be mint condition again. I plan to own the car 2-3 more years, at which point I'll be buying that new Arteon R once they take their big initial depreciation hits.

I have to say, I did not expect to own this car for 10 years but it has been so excellent there has been nothing on the market so far that I felt was good enough to replace it. I was starting to think about compromising and grabbing a Golf R Mk. 8 when they come out, but then the Arteon R got announced, finally a car that I like enough to be happy replacing this one with.

Here's a photo at The Bend Motorsport Park last year, I am not pictured, and the guy bottom right is just a random event worker who liked the car.

Last edited by Jakeys; 03-07-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Paint and calipers now done, from a bit worse than this example on another car:

To this:

Note that the paint looks a bit brighter, I did ask them to redo them in Jazz Blue which is the correct finish for R32/R36 brakes and provided a paint code but they apparently without asking me researched them and thought that Jazz Blue was "A Polo colour" and instead did them in what I think is Deep Blue from the Mk5 R32 bodywork. So while they are not accurate to the original brakes, it is still an OEM VW colour and it's still quite close and probably looks a bit nicer anyway. So no complaints from me, other than I thought they should have asked before making that decision and I would have explained the colour choice.

Also, keen eyes will notice the stock retaining clips have been replaced with Mk6+ VWR retainers, I considered getting R36 decals applied over these before clear coating but in the end decided it would look better just plain blue, happy with that decision.
    Last edited by Jakeys; 21-07-2020 at 05:28 PM.

Nice brake “refresh”.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Some very nice beading after the recent decontamination of the five year old Opti-Coat Pro ceramic coated paint. I wasn't the biggest believer in these coatings at first as I felt they were just wearing off after a year or so and were no better than sealants. As it turns out, I just need to decontaminate the car a bit more regularly than I had been as it spends all its time outdoors and weekdays in an industrial/Defence precinct with lots of iron fallout. This has not been waxed, sealed etc. just the old coating so can't really argue with this result.

Big parts order came in today. Some trims that have snapped clips, new centre caps for the wheels as the paint is chipped on a few of mine, a new rear tail light to fix a very common dead indicator LED issue on Passats of this era, and new seat bases for both front seats to replace the bolsters that are always ruined on R36's because it's a bit of a stupid design by VW. I priced up a new grille as well as there is a little bit of finish delamination on the top the black slat of my grille, but it was over $900 and I'm not ready to commit that much to fix that problem just yet. I might keep an eye out for a better condition grille from a wreck. I'm trying to be sensible, I want the car to look awesome but it is a 165,000km daily driver, I have to draw the line somewhere!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast