Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing rear dashcam in wagon - wiring help

Users Country Flag

Installing rear dashcam in wagon - wiring help

Hey guys,

just wondering if anyone can give me some tips/advice on wiring up the rear dash cam in a B7 wagon. Specifically how best to run the wires from the front to the tailgate.

Have done the front - although ive temporarily clipped the power wire down the windshield side - I need to replace the A pillar trim and run it down inside behind the airbag.

Removing the trim looks straightforward enough, although I'm not so sure about putting it back on

Thanks in advance
    2016 Passat Alltrack 140 - Habanero
    2013 CC V6 4Motion
    2015 130TDI Highline Wagon 2012 103TDI MkVI Golf, 2009 3.0TDI Touareg, 2009 103TDI Tiguan, 2005 103TDI MkV Golf

Users Country Flag
    I did mine by running the cable along the floor under the door sill trims and pulled it through the rear side trim into the rear quarter. I then put it up the boot seal and at that time i had a small loop to the camera on the taildoor.
    If you want to you can slip trim off the inner top of the roof lining and by wedging off one end of the clip on the flexi cable into the taildoor it will release and you can then pull the top piece of trim off the taildoor It just pulls away from the glass edge. If you remove the roof ling trim you can pull tha cable right up to there behind rear quarter trim

Poke a wire from that end and tape up your cable and gently pull it through to the taildoor. I used some vasilene on the plug to get it to slide better and you sort of have to wiggle it through and help it in places as its fairly tight in there. Hide extra cable in rear quarter

Attached is the link for the workshop manual for the interior trims of a B7 Passat I also have the rest for car as well

Interior Passat.pdf - Google Drive
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 11-06-2020 at 07:34 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I hope its a keeper meaning you have tested it well. You should really get 2 dashcams to keep things simple. Use the rear 12 volt socket to power it.
    There is a guide on youtube to fix a rearcam. You could use the head unit section as well. Use that to guide you plus the excellent info provided above.
    As always when dealing with air bags disconnect the battery terminals and insert key into the car to try and start it to get rid of any stored current a few times-As per a sparky on the tube.
    Good luck and take pictures as you go along.

Interesting that the manual says to disconnect battery with ignition on when working on the airbag and reconnect power with ignition on, I think that is a dangerous way to do things, anyone care to share their thoughts?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sn809 View Post
    I hope its a keeper meaning you have tested it well. You should really get 2 dashcams to keep things simple. Use the rear 12 volt socket to power it.
    There is a guide on youtube to fix a rearcam. You could use the head unit section as well. Use that to guide you plus the excellent info provided above.
    As always when dealing with air bags disconnect the battery terminals and insert key into the car to try and start it to get rid of any stored current a few times-As per a sparky on the tube.
    Good luck and take pictures as you go along.
    There is no need to disconnect the battery as you are not disturbing the airbags connections. Have done several different cars and hasnt been a problem. All you are doing is feeding a cable up the A pillar and pulling it up behind the rolled up bag which is in clips.
    I never use the rear 12 volt and thereby have a connector sticking out to get bumped and damaged in the luggage area.
    In my present car I have 2 separate cameras and ran a twin flex cable from the fusebox to the rear and terminated an earth in the rear quarter and ran the camera cable as my post above. All you can see is 75mm of cable to each camera

Why get two cameras at more expense. Mine happened as I got them at different times and were before 2ch cameras arrived.

Not all Youtube videos tell the full story either nor do they show best practice. One even showed stuffing wires down the side of fuses. Jeeeeeez

Here is how I installed them in my B7 wagon I did the rear one like that as it was easier Just bent up an old bit of colourbond flashing and slid it over the rear roof trim. Saved the hassle of getting into the taildoor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Installing rear dashcam in wagon  - wiring help-20170301_135543-jpg   Installing rear dashcam in wagon  - wiring help-20180619_104949[1]-jpg  

Last edited by Hillbilly; 12-06-2020 at 09:44 AM.

I suppose you could also remove the rear panel and access the connection from inside other than that, I really like the rear install you have done.

I was always thinking about it attaching to the boot glass slightly lower and having to keep a larger free wire to let the boot open and close or put it just above the wiper motor. Issue is during rain the passat rear gets a very dirty. Your way could also be done but probably need to get a bigger wiper. Could you please tell me what you have used for the velcro portion attached to the panel and post a pic from the outside the car of the dashcam thanks.

Users Country Flag
    I suppose you could also remove the rear panel and access the connection from inside other than that, I really like the rear install you have done.

I was always thinking about it attaching to the boot glass slightly lower and having to keep a larger free wire to let the boot open and close or put it just above the wiper motor. Issue is during rain the passat rear gets a very dirty. Your way could also be done but probably need to get a bigger wiper. Could you please tell me what you have used for the velcro portion attached to the panel and post a pic from the outside the car of the dashcam thanks.
    Lucky you I sold the car last year but found these pics on an old HDD DONT put it down the bottom and the wiper is high enough as is
    It isnt Velcro it 3M Dual Lock tape and is the high temp version Used the metal as it wont stick to the plastic liner, it also allows you to align the camera easily.. The fuses are in spare slots as they have power to the top of them However you cant buy the ones I used so you will need to buy some Addafuses (1Full size & 1 Mini) and just put the top one in. One is permanent power an other is ACC power and go to a Power Magic which is wrapped in the bubble wrap to give parking mode. The pics were taken before I fitted the metal as camera kept falling off the plastic A 2 ch setup would be even neater as that is a DR450 with a separate GPS module

I ran power wires to rear quarter and attached a ciggy socket and just plugged the camera cable into that If using a 2Ch you just run its cable right through
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Installing rear dashcam in wagon  - wiring help-passat-rear-cam-jpg   Installing rear dashcam in wagon  - wiring help-20180216_110027[1]-jpg  

Installing rear dashcam in wagon  - wiring help-fuses1-jpg   Installing rear dashcam in wagon  - wiring help-img_0117-jpg  

Installing rear dashcam in wagon  - wiring help-fuses4-jpg  
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 13-06-2020 at 08:34 AM.

Ok, and thanks for making the effort to get the pics. Still waiting on delivery of rear camera, I had done a PLA 3D print to attach it at the bottom but will eventually print something to attach to the liner as above taking inspiration :O

Users Country Flag
    Ok, and thanks for making the effort to get the pics. Still waiting on delivery of rear camera, I had done a PLA 3D print to attach it at the bottom but will eventually print something to attach to the liner as above taking inspiration :O
    Wiper doesnt go right to the bottom and the higher you get it the better All you need is a piece of colorbond the same colour as your trim and
    Bend it like a u and slide it over the trim from the front Carefully smoothing edges and corners so as not to cut the roof trim

I think my bit may still be here

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Have installed the front nice and clean. Wires across the top, down the A Pillar behind the airbag. Fusetaps for the ACC and Batt leads, and mounted a nice earth. Have bundled up the excess cable and 12V adapter and placed it in the drivers side pull down glove box. PMP is double sided velcro on the inside of the fuse panel trim for easy access.

Will tackle the rear tomorrow. Have removed the main trim off the tailgate.

Current stumbling blocks
    - removing the upper trim from tailgate (afraid of breaking anything but looking at youtube clips of iguanas and golfs you need to pull the sides in forcefully first, then the upper edge). It feels like 2 clips on each side - and 3 or 4 along the edge.

- removing the rearmost roof trim (the plastic trim at the rear of the car beyond the rooflining). Im assuming I need to get this out so I can run wire from through the tailgate wiring tubes into the roof cavity. Ive prised it gently, but nothing seems to budge at this point. Trying to avoid removing the tailgate wiring tube on the carbody as it would be a bastard to reinsert properly.

and then hopefully its just a matter of either running it along the top of the door trims to the front camera, or using some yellow tongue cable puller from the rear to the sunglasses cubby.
    Last edited by ohammond; 13-06-2020 at 08:56 PM.
    2016 Passat Alltrack 140 - Habanero
    2013 CC V6 4Motion
    2015 130TDI Highline Wagon 2012 103TDI MkVI Golf, 2009 3.0TDI Touareg, 2009 103TDI Tiguan, 2005 103TDI MkV Golf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast