Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing rear dashcam in wagon - wiring help

Users Country Flag

DONT run along tops of doors as it has a curtain airbag along there I run mine down inside trim as shown in pic of the fuses by pulling door seals off and along floor under inside of sill trims. I lifted boot trim and slid cable under there Then where there is a door in rear side trim i used a wire to pull cable up to there then pulled rear taildoor seal off a bit ad pulled cable up to above the door and as I didnt mount it on the taildoor it just hung out from under seal to the camera which was on the metal piece I fitted over the rear plastic roof trim.

If you want it on the door you can remove the wiggle tube by pushing the end under the tube towards the other end and it should pop up and off. I has a little lump at one end and a clip at the other.

If it remember rightly the trim in top of taildoor gets pulled away from the glass first and swivels upward as u look at it with the door open I never took the one in roof out
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 13-06-2020 at 10:30 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Feeding the rear camera wire through the rear grommet finally got the better of me. Got some pull wires thru the channel, but pulling the cable back the end snapped off. Grrrrr. I wasn't comfortable removing the grommet from the carbody side (and my ability to reinstall it) which would have made the job doable.

Ordered a replacement - and admitted defeat and went and asked the local installer to just feed the cable thru for me. Cost me $35, and he said it was harder than they were expecting. They had to remove the waterproof channel and there is a narrow hard plastic opening on the vehicle body side. The ended up drilling a small hole in this hard plastic to get the cable through, so there was no way I was going to get it through buy using lead cables and pulling it. The install cost me less than another broken cable.

Once home - removed the roof console. Fed some yellowtongue through the roof to the console space, pulled some builders string back to the rear of the car, attached the camera cable to the strangling and pulled it forward feeding it to the camera via the trim plug at the base of the rear view mirror. Avoided any issues with interference with airbags. Excess cable was bundled up and secured inside the hatch frame.

Checked it was all working, replaced all the trim panels and I now had a clean install with the only wires visible being those from the front camera to the trim above. If I was really anal I'd look at feeding it up the rain sensor stalk as I have seen others do. I just need to pull both cables from the front camera, and wrap them together in black fleece tape for a cleaner look.

Thanks for the advice and comments everyone. Hopefully this is useful to someone else pulling their hair out trying to feed that cable thru that bloody waterproof channel.
    Installing rear dashcam in wagon  - wiring help-screen-shot-2020-06-18-6-42-53-pm-jpgInstalling rear dashcam in wagon  - wiring help-screen-shot-2020-06-18-6-43-53-pm-jpgInstalling rear dashcam in wagon  - wiring help-img_20200614_085705_resized_20200618_074147107-jpg
    Last edited by ohammond; 18-06-2020 at 07:48 PM.
    2016 Passat Alltrack 140 - Habanero
    2013 CC V6 4Motion
    2015 130TDI Highline Wagon 2012 103TDI MkVI Golf, 2009 3.0TDI Touareg, 2009 103TDI Tiguan, 2005 103TDI MkV Golf

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ohammond View Post
    Feeding the rear camera wire through the rear grommet finally got the better of me. Got some pull wires thru the channel, but pulling the cable back the end snapped off. Grrrrr. I wasn't comfortable removing the grommet from the carbody side (and my ability to reinstall it) which would have made the job doable.

Ordered a replacement - and admitted defeat and went and asked the local installer to just feed the cable thru for me. Cost me $35, and he said it was harder than they were expecting. They had to remove the waterproof channel and there is a narrow hard plastic opening on the vehicle body side. The ended up drilling a small hole in this hard plastic to get the cable through, so there was no way I was going to get it through buy using lead cables and pulling it. The install cost me less than another broken cable.

Once home - removed the roof console. Fed some yellowtongue through the roof to the console space, pulled some builders string back to the rear of the car, attached the camera cable to the strangling and pulled it forward feeding it to the camera via the trim plug at the base of the rear view mirror. Avoided any issues with interference with airbags. Excess cable was bundled up and secured inside the hatch frame.

Checked it was all working, replaced all the trim panels and I now had a clean install with the only wires visible being those from the front camera to the trim above. If I was really anal I'd look at feeding it up the rain sensor stalk as I have seen others do. I just need to pull both cables from the front camera, and wrap them together in black fleece tape for a cleaner look.

Thanks for the advice and comments everyone. Hopefully this is useful to someone else pulling their hair out trying to feed that cable thru that bloody waterproof channel.
    Installing rear dashcam in wagon  - wiring help-screen-shot-2020-06-18-6-42-53-pm-jpgInstalling rear dashcam in wagon  - wiring help-screen-shot-2020-06-18-6-43-53-pm-jpgInstalling rear dashcam in wagon  - wiring help-img_20200614_085705_resized_20200618_074147107-jpg
    I cheated and cut the power wire as it was a separate camera in the rear and fed a wire from the taildoor end into the wiggle tube and resoldered it when I got it through. I have 3 spare power cables so could afford to cut one up LOL

Good job though
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Thanks. I would have liked the self satisfaction of completing the install entirely by myself - but $35 is a damn sight less than local installers wanted to charge ($230-289).
    2013 CC V6 4Motion
    2015 130TDI Highline Wagon 2012 103TDI MkVI Golf, 2009 3.0TDI Touareg, 2009 103TDI Tiguan, 2005 103TDI MkV Golf

Replacing RNS 510 with RCD 330+

yeah that plastic bit is a major PIA to get out. I wasn't brave enough to drill a hole in it, when I was putting in my camera as I was afraid of water leakage. On the inner aspect is another grommet that you can pierce easily and then cover the wire with tape to try and maintain the water seal.

Keep an eye on the rear roof lining just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by sn809 View Post
    I wasn't brave enough to drill a hole in it, when I was putting in my camera as I was afraid of water leakage. On the inner aspect is another grommet that you can pierce easily and then cover the wire with tape to try and maintain the water seal.

Keep an eye on the rear roof lining just to be safe.
    Installer plugged it with silicon after he pulled the wire through to maintain its integrity. But yeah ill keep an eye on that rear corner when it rains to be sure.
    2013 CC V6 4Motion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12