Thread: How restrictive is the standard R36 exhaust?

How restrictive is the standard R36 exhaust?

Trying to decide whether to go full custom, catback only, or to just replace the rear mufflers.

If there is nil performance gain to be had, then I will likely go with replacing the rear mufflers only. Do not want to go overboard at this stage, as I am considering a turbo kit sometime in the future.
    '18 MY18.5 MK3.5 Octavia vRS245
    Previous - 2015 MY16 MK7 R, 2010 MY10 R36 DSG, 2010 MK6 Golf GTI DSG // APR Stage 2, 2006 MK5 Jetta TFSI DSG // Revo Stage 2, 2006 MK5 Golf GTI Manual

Users Country Flag
    It's the noise. Performance-wise you're not going to get much of anything unless you also do headers all the way back, and a tune.
    Even that will still only give you something like 15-20kw I'd imagine.
    Forced induction sure go to town the only limit there is $$
    I have just a Supersprint cat-back and the VR6 sound is just so damn addictive.
    If you were to go full custom I'd recommend going valved for the control.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    It's the noise. Performance-wise you're not going to get much of anything unless you also do headers all the way back, and a tune.
    Even that will still only give you something like 15-20kw I'd imagine.
    Forced induction sure go to town the only limit there is $$
    I have just a Supersprint cat-back and the VR6 sound is just so damn addictive.
    If you were to go full custom I'd recommend going valved for the control.
    How does the supersprint fit? I've read that on many listings that it's only for LHD vehicles or only guaranteed for a LHD fit. I've been tempted before, but it's also very pricey.

Users Country Flag
    New it's really expensive.
    Can't comment on lhd/rhd versions although my suspicion would be they are the same. Probably.
    I got mine second hand and still wasn't cheap but it sounds great without being obnoxious.
    Get a quote on a custom system from someone who is willing to work with you on tuning it to your tastes
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Got a custom catback system with replacement mufflers fitted at Castle Hill Exhaust.

Service was alright, but it did not seem like they were too interested in discussing different options for my setup; just simple quote for the job and that's it. So far, it sounds ok, not amazing like other setups I have heard online, but ok. I'll see how things settle over the coming weeks. I got what I paid for, so can't complain really.

At idle/low rpm, sounds great. However, upon hard acceleration there is definitely more drone over stock. I wish it were a bit louder on full throttle and I could go ahead and remove the centre resonator but fear that this will introduce even more drone. It's hard to describe, but it sounds like some frequencies have been cancelled out over the stock setup, but that could just be the drone drowning some of this out.

It was cheap and got the sound increase that I was looking for, but if a secondhand SuperSprint ever pops up, then I'll be all over it!
    '18 MY18.5 MK3.5 Octavia vRS245
    Previous - 2015 MY16 MK7 R, 2010 MY10 R36 DSG, 2010 MK6 Golf GTI DSG // APR Stage 2, 2006 MK5 Jetta TFSI DSG // Revo Stage 2, 2006 MK5 Golf GTI Manual