Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitting second hand 2007 wagon tow bar

Users Country Flag

Fitting second hand 2007 wagon tow bar

Hi,As usual I've left everything to the last minute and I need to fit this tow bar kit for the holidays. I bought a second hand genuine tow bar kit as vw doesn't sell the kit anymore. I fitted up the wiring and module kit the other night with the help of a westfalia link I found in another thread. I haven't coded it yet so that will be another issue for me if I can't do it from a Launch scanner but the main thing I'm after is info on where to drill the holes to mount the bar? I haven't pulled the rear bumper off yet and it might be self explanatory when I do? Has anyone done this before?Thanks.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Passat my07 View Post
    Hi,As usual I've left everything to the last minute and I need to fit this tow bar kit for the holidays. I bought a second hand genuine tow bar kit as vw doesn't sell the kit anymore. I fitted up the wiring and module kit the other night with the help of a westfalia link I found in another thread. I haven't coded it yet so that will be another issue for me if I can't do it from a Launch scanner but the main thing I'm after is info on where to drill the holes to mount the bar? I haven't pulled the rear bumper off yet and it might be self explanatory when I do? Has anyone done this before?Thanks.
    According to the Wesfalia instructions the holes are already there arent they. Seemed to be when I was going to fit one. They would need parts put in to prevent crushing the rails otherwise
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    By the looks of the bolts they only go through one wall of the rails. It'd be very nice if the holes are there. I've only seen the westfalia wiring instructions (not the bar fitting instructions). The Aussie dealer tow bars are made by best bars in nz and they don't have instructions on their website.

Users Country Flag
    I have seen instructions somewhere but cant remember where unfortunately and there was nothing about drilling holes in them

Users Country Flag
    GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND "Fitting towbar to a B7 Passat"

Here you go

Passat B7 estate towbar fitting guide - UKPassats

You may have to join to see everything Im a member so can do so

Plenty of Youtubes on it as well
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 15-12-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Yep I have done a bit of searching but I haven't found anything relating to the Aussie dealer fitted bars.
    Some of the bars on YouTube do require drilling. One even mounted to the muffler hanger bolts. I'm sure once I drop the mufflers down and remove the heat shields I'll be able to work it out.

Users Country Flag
    Yep I have done a bit of searching but I haven't found anything relating to the Aussie dealer fitted bars.
    Some of the bars on YouTube do require drilling. One even mounted to the muffler hanger bolts. I'm sure once I drop the mufflers down and remove the heat shields I'll be able to work it out.
    Ok what brand is the towbar as there is no such thing as a genuine VW bar They are all bought in from places like Westfalia or HR or someone
    The Westfalia ones fit along the outer sides of the rails and require the muffler to be dropped and the instructions are in the link I provided Im sure there was a link on here a year or so ago with pictures

Read this thread and the links in it Saves me typing it all again

OEM Passat B7 sedan tow bar
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 16-12-2018 at 01:33 PM.

As above the bar is made by Best Bars N.Z.

Users Country Flag
    As above the bar is made by Best Bars N.Z.
    Oh right when it sitting on the ground as it would be mounted in the car does it have two plates about 60mm wide and about 500mm long that would go beside the chassis rails and have two holes in each Say in the specs on their website that drilling is not required
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 16-12-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Yes that's right. Looks like it slides inside the rails after throwing the bumper reo' away. Then it's bolted from the side. I looked at the instructions on the westfalia website and it looks to mount in a similar way.
    Thanks for looking it up. I didn't see the part where it said no drilling required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast