Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine swap options 125TDI Passat (BMR)

Users Country Flag

Engine swap options 125TDI Passat (BMR)

The oil pump balance shaft module needs replacing on our 2008 125TDI Passat. There was no other engine damage, but VW pricing for that part (03G 103 295 AK) is almost as much as the car's value! (fail VW...) - I can get the part from overseas for less than ~1/3 of the price, but it involves long wait times...

It seems this is an engineering fault and common problem on the BMR engines within 130,000-200,000 kms.. It's likely to be cheaper just to do an engine swap, but it's proving impossible to find a 2nd hand BMR engine with low kms.

So, does anyone know if there are compatible engine codes out there that would be suitable for a swap?

It looks like a CBBB engine is often listed alongside the BMR - would this be an option for an engine swap?

We have a replacement car (Tiguan) arriving in a couple of months, so open to ideas...
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits
    2022 Tiguan Allspace R-Line, Grey - Sunroof, Harmon Kardon

Users Country Flag
    You're going from a PD to a common rail there. So you'd need the ECU for a start, that would either need to be made immo off, or immo matched to your CCM.
    Then you'll need all the engine side wiring harness, and there may also be wiring changes needed back to the body (would need to carefully study the wiring diagrams of both.)
    If you're looking for an easy cheap swap I would guess this might not be it.
    That's without doing any checks on the wiring etc, just thoughts.
    If it's something you really want to do I'm sure it's possible but before buying anything I'd be spending some time checking over the wiring diagrams.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah, I'm thinking the car is essentially scap now.

It's really disappointing to buy a new VW, take great care of it, spending loads of cash each year on genuine parts/maintenance, just to have the engine die at only 160k...

The car is essentially "written off" because VW want over $6K (+$3K labour) for an oil pump shaft that failed due to poor engineering... oil pumps should outlast most engine components - TBH it makes me question the confidence I had (and would share) in VW engineering...

Anyhow, rant over... probably a lesson that VWs don't last and to replace them before they get too old. If you were cynical, you might think that they are designed that way to generate maximum profits...

Users Country Flag
    Bws swap it

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Bws swap it

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
    What's a BWS swap?

Users Country Flag
    R36 motor

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    R36 motor
    Oh, that would be cool. Probably more trouble/cost than it's worth on an old 125TDi I'm guessing.

Users Country Flag
    You can buy the balance shaft locally for $1800. This place says they have one in stock although id be calling and checking if that is accurate. Balance Shaft Module / Oil Pump for 2.0TDI - 03G103295AK – Boosted Autosports PTY LTD

VAGParts in Sydney can supply them but it says up to a 4 week lead time: Balance Shaft Module / Oil Pump for Volkswagen & Audi 2.0 TDI - 03G103
    – VAGPARTS Australia
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    You can buy the balance shaft locally for $1800. This place says they have one in stock although id be calling and checking if that is accurate. Balance Shaft Module / Oil Pump for 2.0TDI - 03G103295AK – Boosted Autosports PTY LTD

VAGParts in Sydney can supply them but it says up to a 4 week lead time: Balance Shaft Module / Oil Pump for Volkswagen & Audi 2.0 TDI - 03G103
    – VAGPARTS Australia
    Thanks Lucas_R =)

I tried contacting Boosted Friday, but haven't received a response (web and facebook, couldn't find a phone number). There are a couple of genuine options on eBay from Germany and Hungary too, shipping takes ~4 weeks (hopefully).

This may be an option. The part costs $1,800 (or ~$1,100 w/ shipping internationally), one dealer said $1,500 labour and another $3,000.

So $2,600 to $4,800 approx.. at $2,600 it's worth it, at $4,800 it's questionable (not sure what I'd get from the wreckers, but probably not much)..

While we're working this one out (could take weeks), we're down to 2 cars, so I'm looking for a replacement anyway. Test drove a 2nd hand Arteon today, more sedate than my R36 (same performance on paper), but much more comfortable/modern.
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits
    2022 Tiguan Allspace R-Line, Grey - Sunroof, Harmon Kardon

Users Country Flag

Seeing you are in Brisbane, id be giving Alba European a call. He has a very good reputation for all things VW/Audi.

He might have a contact for sourcing the part and can no doubt give you info and/or a quote on the installation side of things:
    Alba European - Home
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 11-04-2022 at 03:01 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast