Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DQ500 retrofit

Users Country Flag

DQ500 retrofit

This has been an on again/off again project now for about a year.
    Knowing what I do now it would have been done and dusted long ago, but you only really learn by doing right?

First up I'll post the thank yous to those who have assisted me in this project -
    David from Pacortech and Alex from UGP
    Tuggeranong Transmission
    avwboy

Required parts for VR6 install:
    DQ500 from a PQ platform car - eg Transporter T5/T6, Tiguan including transfer case (TDI has the same 1-3 ratios as TSI, with longer 4th-7th. Final ratio difference is around 9% longer for TDI)
    Driveshafts left (5N0407763F) + right (5N0407764F)
    Starter motor 02E911023SX
    16 pin TCU connector 8P0971499A
    Pendulum mount 3C0199855M
    90 degree coolant pipes for trans cooler
    10 hole dual mass flywheel 03H105266E
    Flywheel bolts x10 N90665001
    DQ500 clutch cover
    Custom gearbox software
    Custom bowden cable mount
    Custom milled bell housing (not required for inline 4/5 engines)
    Custom adapter plates for bell housing (not required for inline 4/5 engines)

Once the research was done I sourced a Tiguan TSI gearbox from a wreck with 45k on it along with driveshafts and starter motor. Gearbox code NZT.
    The bell housing, adapter plates and shift adapter were supplied from a guy in Europe who unfortunately no longer supplies them.

DQ500 retrofit-20190822_102144-1-jpg
    modified bell housing with adapter plates attached to gearbox

DQ500 retrofit-20190702_130901-jpg
    Bell housing

DQ500 retrofit-20200910_145343-jpg
    gearset

DQ500 retrofit-20190730_115445-jpg
    Back of the bell housing

DQ500 retrofit-20190822_130246-jpg
    Timing chains - gearbox was out so perfect opportunity to renew chains and guides

DQ500 retrofit-20190711_133141-jpg
    Clutch basket with top cover removed

DQ500 retrofit-20190824_142430-jpg
    Modified shift linkage

DQ500 retrofit-20201202_153845-jpg
    New dualmass flywheel

After the initial attempt at install which you can read about in the Ross-tech thread here, this got put on the back burner while I pondered the future of the project. It was a big disappointment to myself and to Dave and UPG who had put a lot of time and effort into trying to get this working for me but it wasn't looking promising.
    After a few weeks of frantically searching world-wide for a solution, and taking out and inspecting the clutches, replacing the main solenoids etc I had to get my car back on the road so had to get the DQ250 back in the car (with some new clutches and another mechatronic).
    Fast forward 12 months...

Eventually the decision was made to try again, but this time in a test mule of avwboy's so that I wouldn't have my car off the road again whilst trying to work through the issues (a wise decision as it transpired).
    In the mule the symptoms were the same. Can't complete basic settings and fault indicates an obstruction on the K1 clutch.

I took the gearbox down to Tuggeranong Transmission who identified the source of all my woes - a rookie mistake in assembling the clutch basket.
    They also removed the custom bell housing and checked all the internals before reassembly - just to be sure.

DQ500 retrofit-20200805_201201-jpg
    Engine and gearbox ready for install #3 in the test mule

DQ500 retrofit-20210309_131122-jpg
    The source of all my woes

DQ500 retrofit-20210309_131128-jpg
    it sits in here on the inner clutches. It's keyed but you can still put it in out of alignment - check this!!!

DQ500 retrofit-20210309_131139-jpg
    Rotate it until it slots into place. Do this AFTER the clutch basket is dropped into the top of the gearbox. THEN assemble the rest and attach all the circlips and NEW top clutch cover.

The keyed thrust washer (not sure the correct terminology) pictured CAN be installed out of alignment, whilst still allowing the rest of the clutch basket to be fully assembled including all the circlips. However it results in the K1 clutch from not being able to engage.
    This needs to be checked with the rest of the basket seated in place in the gearbox, not on the bench. THEN assemble the remaining inner clutch components above it.

After having a good talk to the guys at Tuggeranong trans about the project and my mistake I was confident that the gearbox itself was ready to go. So I made the decision to go straight into my car, skipping yet another test fitting in the mule.

After a full day of work with avwboy (after already having done 2 complete installs in testing) the gearbox was again installed and the moment of truth arrived....basic settings in ODIS. This time it completed first go!
    Time for the first test drive! Now around 10pm...

Got out onto the road and slowly drove through the gears....shifts were smooth but there was something not right...the car was wobbling pretty substantially even at low speeds.
    Got back onto the hoist and after some poking and prodding discovered that the right driveshaft was...shafted.
    It looked like it was damaged in the crash. Looked ok externally but the inner CV was in bad shape. Some temporary repairs involving zip ties (now approaching midnight, avwboy is like Macgyver with problem solving) and the next test drive was much more successful - some minor oscillations around 60-80kmh but otherwise all good at highway speeds. I could actually drive the car back home with a DQ500!!!

A few hundred kms of testing and a few tweaks to the software and it is working really well. Silky smooth shifts and and even more capable cruising car. Highway speeds have the rpm dropped by about 450 with the 7th gear and consumption down about 1L/100kms.

Replaced the damaged driveshaft and as well as front wheel bearings (as one was getting a bit noisy and probably due now given the car has 160k on it) and the slight wobble is now gone and car drives like a dream!
    Last edited by kamold; 11-03-2021 at 06:35 PM.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Repin information from 20 pin DQ250 plug to 16 pin DQ500

DQ500 retrofit-pinouts-jpg
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Awesome work Julian!

I know who I will hit up for advice and help when it comes to the 2 x transplants I am planning in the future.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Unbelievable work! Has this been done many times worldwide?
    We need an index to your upgrades.

Yeah there are a few R36s (and R32s, and others) with DQ500 retrofits. They are all part of big power builds like HGP twin turbo setups etc.
    I don't have the powah, but I now have a good solid reliable base should I ever have the funds to go down that route...

There is a link my sig to my 'build' thread. One day when I have time (ie never) I will try and make a consolidated list with direct links.
    Last edited by kamold; 10-03-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Wow! Great to see what some time and perseverance can do.

7 speed is much better for cruising than the 6 speed plus the gear ratios would have been designed for a larger wheel/tyre combo which would I would have thought would cause edge to rise??

Anyway great project and sad to hear that all the parts are no longer available.

It would be a good upgrade for anyone looking to do stage 3/4/5 builds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Great work and perseverance indeed, now you just need the 600 plus HP for 3.5 to 100k!
    R36 Wagon MY2010.5: Biscay Blue| Dynaudio and Nav| RVC| VW tow bar|
    Mod highlights:
    ECU and DSG Tune| 3AA CCM and 7N0 Gateway| 3D colour MFD| MIB2 retrofit and 7N0 RVC| Quad LED tail, brake and indicator rings| Zimmermann Sportbrake rotors, composite pads| TPMS High| 2Q0 Blind Spot and RCTA| B8 rearview mirror|

Quote Originally Posted by MMR36 View Post
    Great work and perseverance indeed, now you just need the 600 plus HP for 3.5 to 100k!
    That's not going to happen.
    But if a supercharger fell into my engine bay I wouldn't kick it out

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    That's not going to happen.
    But if a supercharger fell into my engine bay I wouldn't kick it out

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Hah... well then that's not a No!
    R36 Wagon MY2010.5: Biscay Blue| Dynaudio and Nav| RVC| VW tow bar|
    Mod highlights:
    ECU and DSG Tune| 3AA CCM and 7N0 Gateway| 3D colour MFD| MIB2 retrofit and 7N0 RVC| Quad LED tail, brake and indicator rings| Zimmermann Sportbrake rotors, composite pads| TPMS High| 2Q0 Blind Spot and RCTA| B8 rearview mirror|

Users Country Flag

Amazing job.
    Where did you get your custom bell housing from?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast