Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of questions about bits for my R36

A couple of questions about bits for my R36

Hi Guys,

A few things I am interested in fixing up on the R36 wagon (2008 model)

1) LED Driving light bar and "nudge bar" bracket - looking at a simple single line LED driving light on a licence plate nudge bar bracket, as the Xenons don't do much on high beam and I have been doing a lot of country driving so some beefier lights would be helpful. Does anyone have any tips on cheapish but good LED bars, harnesses etc? I would like to use a blank switch position on the centre console for the LED on/off if possible, but cannot seem to find any online? Not many places to mount the override switch on the driver's side, so I would love to find a centre console switch option? Maybe a sun blind control switch could be used?

2) The overhead room/door entry light switch near the map lights is REALLY dodgy and barely switches on and stays on when I get in the car. Most days if I need to see in the cabin, I leave it ON and when I lock the car, the lights go out, but obviously, I need to override it off, when I get back in and start driving. Any source for a replacement switch / contact?

3) Roof lining is rapidly peeling off (no sunroof and wagon body) to the point where there is a sagging tunnel between the rear roof light and the front sunglass holder. I have tried a few linings companies and the ones who will try it, want $550 for the job? Any recommendations on local Sydney (Hills district) companies that do an OEM job replacing the roof lining? Is $550 too much?

4) I burnt through the inside shoulder on some Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (GREAT FREAKING TYRE) in only 25,000km and 1 year, possibly because I have an issue on the rear end camber. I rotated them in 6 months and had another alignment done at Bob Jane where I bought them, but they still only lasted 25K before rego failed them. I had to buy a new set of tyres before pink slip would pass, and as Umai Naa showed me on my previous tyres which were down to the canvas on the inner shoulder, this seems to be a problem on my car? Had to put a set of buy 3 get 4 Bridgestone RE-003s on it which seem sticky and work well, but I took the car back 2 weeks after the alignment as the rears looked "rally style" with a squat camber and they adjusted it to 1.2? which they said could possibly be improved a "bit" to closer to 1, but was still within recommended? Anyone else having this problem with inside shoulder scrubbing? Bridgestone reckon due to the age, "stuff sags" which causes the issue, but surely the wheels should sit vertical when you look at them from behind

5) and Finally, THESE FREAKING LED T10 parkers are DRIVING ME INSANE!!!! I have bog yellow incandescents in there at the moment as ALL models of "canbus" compatible T10 LED white globes to match the XENONs tend to DIE after 2-3 weeks. I have tried about 7 different models, with Aluminium bodies, multi LED designs, even the ones from the US that cost me $30 for two didn't last long. I am sick and tired of replacing the globes with spares and SERIOUSLY need someone to suggest some that are bright white and last AT LEAST 6 months before they fizzle and die and the orange globe warning comes up on the dash. I found some beautiful new LED filament ones once, which look great, but fail the canbus startup test as I forgot to check they had the ballast resistors in them. SOMEBODY HELP! Its becoming an LED T10 dumping ground in my garage and I can't help buying new crap ones that don't last!

Any tips or suggestions would be great for any of these issues.

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by Screwdriverone; 27-08-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Users Country Flag
    I run and sell illumo canbus T10 led's. comes with 2 year direct replacement warranty.

have a look at iilumo - Premium Automotive Lighting for a range of canbus LED's.

let me know what you are after and can sort you out.

Iv been running these in my car for well over a month now and no issues. and have sold to a few R36 owners also.

regarding your other issues...hope others can help.

ta

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriverone View Post
    Hi Guys,

A few things I am interested in fixing up on the R36 wagon (2008 model)

1) LED Driving light bar and "nudge bar" bracket - looking at a simple single line LED driving light on a licence plate nudge bar bracket, as the Xenons don't do much on high beam and I have been doing a lot of country driving so some beefier lights would be helpful. Does anyone have any tips on cheapish but good LED bars, harnesses etc? I would like to use a blank switch position on the centre console for the LED on/off if possible, but cannot seem to find any online? Not many places to mount the override switch on the driver's side, so I would love to find a centre console switch option? Maybe a sun blind control switch could be used?

2) The overhead room/door entry light switch near the map lights is REALLY dodgy and barely switches on and stays on when I get in the car. Most days if I need to see in the cabin, I leave it ON and when I lock the car, the lights go out, but obviously, I need to override it off, when I get back in and start driving. Any source for a replacement switch / contact?

3) Roof lining is rapidly peeling off (no sunroof and wagon body) to the point where there is a sagging tunnel between the rear roof light and the front sunglass holder. I have tried a few linings companies and the ones who will try it, want $550 for the job? Any recommendations on local Sydney (Hills district) companies that do an OEM job replacing the roof lining? Is $550 too much?

4) I burnt through the inside shoulder on some Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (GREAT FREAKING TYRE) in only 25,000km and 1 year, possibly because I have an issue on the rear end camber. I rotated them in 6 months and had another alignment done at Bob Jane where I bought them, but they still only lasted 25K before rego failed them. I had to buy a new set of tyres before pink slip would pass, and as Umai Naa showed me on my previous tyres which were down to the canvas on the inner shoulder, this seems to be a problem on my car? Had to put a set of buy 3 get 4 Bridgestone RE-003s on it which seem sticky and work well, but I took the car back 2 weeks after the alignment as the rears looked "rally style" with a squat camber and they adjusted it to 1.2? which they said could possibly be improved a "bit" to closer to 1, but was still within recommended? Anyone else having this problem with inside shoulder scrubbing? Bridgestone reckon due to the age, "stuff sags" which causes the issue, but surely the wheels should sit vertical when you look at them from behind

5) and Finally, THESE FREAKING LED T10 parkers are DRIVING ME INSANE!!!! I have bog yellow incandescents in there at the moment as ALL models of "canbus" compatible T10 LED white globes to match the XENONs tend to DIE after 2-3 weeks. I have tried about 7 different models, with Aluminium bodies, multi LED designs, even the ones from the US that cost me $30 for two didn't last long. I am sick and tired of replacing the globes with spares and SERIOUSLY need someone to suggest some that are bright white and last AT LEAST 6 months before they fizzle and die and the orange globe warning comes up on the dash. I found some beautiful new LED filament ones once, which look great, but fail the canbus startup test as I forgot to check they had the ballast resistors in them. SOMEBODY HELP! Its becoming an LED T10 dumping ground in my garage and I can't help buying new crap ones that don't last!

Any tips or suggestions would be great for any of these issues.

Cheers

Chris
    Hi Chris,

Can’t really help you with 1) and 2) but I will have a go with respect to questions 3 to 5.

3) I haven’t had any issues with sagging roof lining but I can recommend a trimmer based near my place in Galston and probably close to you – Brent Parker Motor Trimming. You can find him and some of his (custom) work on his Facebook page. He has done work for me, though not on my R36 – mind you I have a quote to replace the bolster trim and micro fibre insert on my driver’s seat that had been recovered in vinyl(!) and was quoted $550. The guy isn’t cheap and may well charge more than $550 to do your headlining but he does quality work. He is booked out a year ahead but does take on small jobs.

4) I had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3s that did 40K and am now on to a set of Sport 4s and 20K in have had no issues. I swap the tyres front to back and get a wheel alignment every 10K at Jax Tyres Castle Hill. Speak to Danny the owner regarding alignment issues. When I bought my R36 over four years ago they had Bridgestone RE050s that had worn badly on the inner side so I replaced them pronto. The Bridgestones I’ve had on other cars
    grip well in the dry (horrible in the wet) but wear quickly.

5) I had one of my parking lights go and had the warning light come on. I toyed with LEDs but read all this stuff about Canbus Error Free and got some Philips H7 Halogen 12V 55W bulbs from Blingwork instead. Sure they are yellowish, but they’ve been on the car a couple of years with no issues.

Cheers,
    Paul
    Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC, RVC, BT 9w7, Tint and Factory Towbar.
    Atlantic Blue MY19.5 Golf GTI
    Options: Luxury Package and Sound & Style Package.

Thanks Paul, I'll give the trimmer a look and keep the tyres under observation. I'm going to Super cheap today to see if they have some bluish white lamps that might suit as the LEDs are prettier but all rubbish quality.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    1) no experience with the LED bar. But I have sun blind control switch for my garage opener, not sure if it is on/off switch though.

4) need a proper wheel alignment, I even traveled to spinning wheels waterloo(now JAX) to had the proper alignment done in 2014. I am in Hills too.

5) I dont drive much at night so the eBay ones have been trouble free
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag
    Any luck re LED bar? Like to do same...

Users Country Flag
    I had my headliner replaced by Van from Sydneycarrooflinings.com.au for $500.
    Awesome guy did it in my carport and did a really great job. Have heard mixed reports about Repairbull.

LED parkers I had the same issues until I bought Supernova lights from Ben down in Melbourne. No issues now for years. They just work.

As for headlight output, refer to my upgrade post, the bowls in the back of the projectors get burnt out and light output goes down the toilet.
    If you want to go an LED light bar there was a guy who fitted one inside his grill which looked good.

Rear inner wear is common, the geometry is set up that way to a large extent, but if they are well aligned you should get much closer to even wear. My rears are due for replacement, but they are down to the wear indicators flat across the surface, not just on the inside.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

So the roof lining still needs doing, thanks Kamold for the tip, that’s a pretty good price!

The LED light bar was a doddle from eBay here 20 inch CREE LED Light Bar + 23" Bull Bar Number Plate Frame 4X4 +Wiring Kit Car | eBay

Comes with harness, switch, relay and Licence plate holder all for around $55 with a THREE YEAR WARRANTY!!! About $200 less than supercheap big red and it’s friggin awesome! aIll post some pictures later when I get the car out of the garage.

Similarly, these LED parkers from eBay are awesome and small and fit in all the T10 sockets inside and out, not blown one yet, hallelujah!!!! 10X AUXITO CANBUS Error Free T10 W5W 194 168 Wedge Interior LED Light Bulbs | eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also took the car back to the tyre shop 2 weeks after the new Bridgestone Re003 went on and told them it’s cambered out and they adjusted it to something like 1.5? And said that the car saga over time and it is in tolerance and blah blah blah. Seems to be better but a dark edge on the inner rears makes me worry a bit. Seems ok for now. Might get them done at an independent shop for ****s and giggles. Definitely not as good as the sport 4 Michelin’s, they were 30% better grip than the Bridgeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=Screwdriverone;1307117]So the roof lining still needs doing, thanks Kamold for the tip, that’s a pretty good price!

The LED light bar was a doddle from eBay here 20 inch CREE LED Light Bar + 23" Bull Bar Number Plate Frame 4X4 +Wiring Kit Car | eBay

Comes with harness, switch, relay and Licence plate holder all for around $55 with a THREE YEAR WARRANTY!!! About $200 less than supercheap big red and it’s friggin awesome! aIll post some pictures later when I get the car out of the garage.

Similarly, these LED parkers from eBay are awesome and small and fit in all the T10 sockets inside and out, not blown one yet, hallelujah!!!! 10X AUXITO CANBUS Error Free T10 W5W 194 168 Wedge Interior LED Light Bulbs | eBay

A couple of photos of the eBay Light bar fitted.
    I was surprised just how easy it was connecting things under the bonnet, with nice ground terminals on each side of the engine bay for the relay and switch to pull ground. also, piggybacking off the main feed in the fuse box to the relay. Light output is simply awesome compared to the OEM high beam Xenons. Its DAY TIME on country trips now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A couple of questions about bits for my R36-front-jpg   A couple of questions about bits for my R36-front-left-jpg  

A couple of questions about bits for my R36-front-right-jpg   A couple of questions about bits for my R36-fuse-box-jpg  

A couple of questions about bits for my R36-relay-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast