Thread: Cost of replacing the timing belt

Users Country Flag

Cost of replacing the timing belt

Hi,

I have a 2011 v6 4motion passat which my mechanic tells me needs to have the timing belt/chain replaced. He has quoted me between $4k and $5k to do the replacement stating he needs to drop the gearbox, etc., to access the timing belt.

I love the car but considering it is probably only worth $10-13k I was wondering whether it was worth replacing the timing belt considering the cost. I am also wondering whether the estimated cost of repair is reasonably accurate.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Users Country Flag
    Firstly, let me say - I don't know how much it should cost to do this job. However, for me it would be more important to know if the car really requires chain replacement. I mean what is it doing or not doing that it needs changing? Is there an excessive chain noise or is the chain so bad that it's affecting normal engine function. IF your car has a chain then these are pretty tough, my car has now done nearly 315k km and still running on the original chain. Yes, it's a bit noisy but I hope it'll get me to 500k km before I need to replace it.

Have a look at those posts:

Slight clunking on R36 (Timing chain?)

R36 Timing Chain Parts List and Suggestions
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Cool Thanks Old Navman

Quote Originally Posted by Old Navman View Post
    Firstly, let me say - I don't know how much it should cost to do this job. However, for me it would be more important to know if the car really requires chain replacement. I mean what is it doing or not doing that it needs changing? Is there an excessive chain noise or is the chain so bad that it's affecting normal engine function. IF your car has a chain then these are pretty tough, my car has now done nearly 315k km and still running on the original chain. Yes, it's a bit noisy but I hope it'll get me to 500k km before I need to replace it.

Have a look at those posts:

Slight clunking on R36 (Timing chain?)

R36 Timing Chain Parts List and Suggestions
    My mechanic during the last service used a stethoscope to listen to the motor after noticing a rattle on starting. I personally did not notice it and I think I am very aware of changes in my Passat. However, since the service the engine has a small miss particularly when cold. When running warm the car is as unflappable as always in my opinion. I travelled through country VIC over the weekend on country roads and freeways. The car cruised beautifully without any noises or issues.

I have sent the questions to my mechanic who is still on holidays until 21/1/2021. I just don't want the car to stop because the timing chain breaks causing the need for an engine rebuild.

Thanks.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by macdemac View Post
    My mechanic during the last service used a stethoscope to listen to the motor after noticing a rattle on starting. I personally did not notice it and I think I am very aware of changes in my Passat. However, since the service the engine has a small miss particularly when cold. When running warm the car is as unflappable as always in my opinion. I travelled through country VIC over the weekend on country roads and freeways. The car cruised beautifully without any noises or issues.

I have sent the questions to my mechanic who is still on holidays until 21/1/2021. I just don't want the car to stop because the timing chain breaks causing the need for an engine rebuild.

Thanks.
    Car missing when cold sounds to me electrical - coil or spark plug. In my opinion if it was the chain it would be happening all the time where you say, in fact, the car drives beautifully when cruising. What sort of engine oil do you use (5W30, 10-15W40/50?) - if you car has done high km's (like mine) I use slightly thicker oil which "takes care" of most of the engine noises including chain noises.

Still, best would be to go to a mechanic who has a software (such as VCDS) which can interface with your VW system and report any faults live or stored. I haven't checked chain condition in my car thus far but mu understanding is that VCDS, amongst others, can report on that.
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

Users Country Flag
    macdemac, I have a few comments which I hope you will find helpful.

1. The V6 engine definitely has a chain, not a belt.
    2. Timing chain problems due to stretching is a known issue with this engine.
    3. Both my timing chains needed replacing along with the main tensioner and sprockets at just 65,000 km and I can assure you that $4-5K is a very reasonable cost. The method used by my repairer (a dealer) was to remove the whole front of the car and bring the engine out to the front, then crack it in half to get to the chains which are on the DSG side of the engine.
    4. My car also needed the camshaft adjusters replaced.
    5. From what I’ve heard, timing chain problems mainly affect the early years of the B6 production run. 2006, 2007, 2008 are badly affected. Not sure when but somewhere along the way, VW identified the problem and fixed it so that cars made around 2010 and 2011 were not affected by this issue at all as they were built with improved parts. So I’m surprised that a timing chain problem has been diagnosed in a 2011 car. I’d be getting a second opinion.
    6. The other reason I’d be getting a second opinion is that my car threw DTC code 00022 for camshaft and crankshaft correlation. Your car has not displayed the check engine light and the mechanic has reached this diagnosis on the basis of listening to a rattle with a stethoscope.
    7. If you go searching you will find threads on this topic.
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag
    Not to denigrate anything 3C4M Guy has said - with 315K km and on original chain I must really count myself one of the luckiest 2006 B6 Passat owners around.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Old Navman View Post
    Not to denigrate anything 3C4M Guy has said - with 315K km and on original chain I must really count myself one of the luckiest 2006 B6 Passat owners around.
    I agree! You got a good one.