Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery replacement for B7 Passat V6.

Users Country Flag

Battery replacement for B7 Passat V6.

Hi all,

This morning my battery was slow to crank, so on the way home from work stopped off at Supercheap. Put in 2011 Passat V6 and it came back with a AGM battery. By this stage the clerk arrived and asked if I needed help. He explained the AGM battery was only for models with Start/Stop tech. Seeing I don`t I went with a normal battery. Lugged it back to the car and of course it would not turn over. Went back into store and paid the $10 for them to install. ( I was in work clothes and no tools.)
    Managed to jump the car and get it into the work bay. Next " where the F&^%$$$ is the battery?" The manual clearly states " depending on the engine it may be in the engine bay or luggage area." Very Helpful.
    After I finally located the battery the mechanic states "that is a AGM battery so I have to replace it with one." OK I say. He says "$400 but I haven`t got one in stock"

Quick call to VW service " Can get one tomorrow, including 1 hour coding $770."
    Wife rang Battery World. They have one in stock, come on down $399.

Battery World confirmed dead battery, but state battery huge for my car LH 95 AGM. Their computer says mine should be LH 60 AGM which does not fit in the battery holder. After long discussion went with Large Normal deep cycle battery for $300 which fitted holder. Very happy with Battery World, just needed a battery today.

My questions are: 1. Do I need an AGM battery seeing I do not have Start/Stop ?

2. Do I need to code the battery seeing I do not have above?

3. When trying to crank I got an airbag warning and now my ACCC and Lane guidance does not work. So I gather I will still have to visit a dealership to fix these error codes? I dont have access to a coder.

Many thanks in advance for advice.

Users Country Flag
    It's pretty important to match the battery with the charge controller in these cars, the reason why you got 7 years out of the original is because the charger has battery life management and can even test the internal resistance of the battery.

What is the CCA of the deep cycle you got?

You could try coding a similar battey in the controller and using a dummy serial number and see if it will accept the coding.

Are you in VIC? happy to give it a go with my VCDS cable.

Edit, on a side note never trust the data that non OEMs have on the B7 V6; The number of times people wanted to sell me wrong part on one has been unbelievable, from wrong rotor size to wiper blades lol
    Last edited by MIG; 23-04-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag
    If you don’t have stopstart you don’t have to use AGM or EFB battery and no coding is required. However the AGM batteries are used in cars that are heavy consumers, meaning a lot of electronics on board.
    If you go with no AGM batteries in these, the battery will have somehow shorter life than the original. You probably won’t have the airbag fault, but if you do, anyone with the VCDS cable or similar can reset those.

If there is a space for a larger battery, then maybe go with DIN75 std instead of DIN65AGM, you will save some money and have a chance that you get +4 years out of the battery.
    Last edited by Transporter; 24-04-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the above info guys.

I got 7 years out of the original AGM DIN95AGM, and would have gone the same but needed the battery that day due to work commitments. I ended up having to go the large normal as it was the only one that would fit in the holder.

I am in Brisbane so I guess I will have to go to a dealer to clear the faults and get my cruise control back.

Thanks again

Jeff

Users Country Flag
    Hi all,
    I found this topic interesting because I also have a 2011 V6 Passat. So I am guessing my battery will die soon considering it is 7 years old.

What I am wondering is how are you sure that the OEM battery is actually AGM for this car? I took photos on the battery and there is nothing labeled with AGM on it. I also took screenshots in VCDS and it is set to "Wet Battery" not AGM. So it is the original battery AGM or not? I tried to find spec for the part number which is on the battery "5K0 915 105 K" but was not able too.

Battery replacement for B7 Passat V6.-61-battery-regulator-4-png
    Battery replacement for B7 Passat V6.-dsc_0512-jpg
    Battery replacement for B7 Passat V6.-dsc_0506-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Here is a factory AGM battery in R36
    Factory AGM Battery in R36 - Album on Imgur
    Last edited by Passat R36; 03-05-2018 at 06:51 AM.
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag
    I know this might sound trivial to some, but a quick way to tell if the battery is a wet lead acid one (including EFB) or AGM is if it does have/have not a colour indicator. AGM batteries are not allowed to have colour indicators.

So the B7 V6 is definitely a wet battery, while the R36 is AGM as written on the battery.

DIN75 is closest size to the OEM battery. Use DIN65 (non AGM) if you want to save few dollars.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by 00100100 View Post
    Hi all,
    I found this topic interesting because I also have a 2011 V6 Passat. So I am guessing my battery will die soon considering it is 7 years old.

What I am wondering is how are you sure that the OEM battery is actually AGM for this car? I took photos on the battery and there is nothing labeled with AGM on it. I also took screenshots in VCDS and it is set to "Wet Battery" not AGM. So it is the original battery AGM or not? I tried to find spec for the part number which is on the battery "5K0 915 105 K" but was not able too.

Battery replacement for B7 Passat V6.-61-battery-regulator-4-png
    Battery replacement for B7 Passat V6.-dsc_0512-jpg
    Battery replacement for B7 Passat V6.-dsc_0506-jpg
    Without doubt that is not an AGM battery.

Users Country Flag
    The oem Varta battery in my 2011 B7 Passat TDI only last 5 years before crapping out so you done well to get 7 years out of yours IMO!

I think VW charged $450 for the AGM VW/Varta battery but then robbed us to charge $200 to install it fit it remove error codes etc..

Couldn't believe it, I definitely would have went to battery world, but I knew I had to get the battery coded and battery world had no idea about performing the registration process.

Users Country Flag

$200 to install and clear errors is costly, considering it is a 30 min job.

Anyways, I did my homework incase I have to replace my battery sometime this year. These batteries apply to the B7 Passat VR6 Highline with an original DIN 353x175x190 lead acid battery.

Prices as of 05.05.2018
    315x175x175
    DIN75L MF Century 730 CCA 135 RC $293 Supercheap DIN75MLF (typo in Supercheap website)
    MF77 Super-Charge 750 CCA 140 RC $215 Autobarn (25% discount)

OR
    315x175x190
    DIN75LH MF Century 910 CCA 180 RC $304 Supercheap DIN75LHMF Best value for money?
    MF77H Super-Charge 780 CCA 160 RC $219 Autobarn (25% discount)

OR
    353x175x175
    DIN85L MF Century 780 CCA 158 RC $322 Supercheap
    MF88 Super-Charge 810 CCA 150 RC $259 Autobarn (25% discount)

OR
    353x175x190
    DIN85LH MF Century 760 CCA 165 RC $354 Supercheap (Like for like replacement of OEM size & CCA)
    MF88H Super-Charge 900 CCA 160 RC $269 Autobarn (25% discount)

For CCA, Australia follow SAE standard, not IEC or DIN. SuperCharge is always slightly higher than Century, I am not sure if that was due to a difference between SAE and EN standards?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast