Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B8 Passat front assist camera retrofit

Users Country Flag

B8 Passat front assist camera retrofit

Hi All,

Just waiting on a few trim pieces to cover it all up properly but fully tested and working Lane Assist and Traffic Sign Recognition installed in my R36.

As usual I couldn't have completed this without the invaluable knowledge of golfi_vend from the Ross Tech forums.

Requirements:
    ODIS S
    VCP

Parts:
    B7 windscreen with camera and rain sensor mounts
    B8 Camera 3Q0980654
    Heater pad 3G0862505
    3D printed adapter mounts for the camera from Levwfreaks.eu
    Golf/B7/Tiguan etc auto dimming mirror 1K0857511E
    Wiring harness
    Trim pieces:
    3aa868437 9B9 satin black
    1T0858547 1QB satin black
    Calibration board

The camera mount that is glued to the windscreen needs a few small modifications to allow the newer 3Q0 camera to fit.
    The wiring for the auto dimming mirror and the rain/light sensor need to be extended as they move down below the camera on the new windscreen.
    Wiring harness connects to the extended CAN bus pins 7 and 17 at the gateway (need a gateway that supports extended CAN) as well as power and ground.

Coding etc:
    Steering rack at address 44 needs to have adaptation changed to add lane assist.
    Gateway needs to be coded to add new address A5 front assist.
    Front assist camera needs to be coded for correct traffic side, whether or not you have side assist radars, correct network type (PQ or MQB) etc.
    The camera also needs to have the B8 Passat Variant parameter set loaded to it with VCP.

Initially I wasn't able to perform any coding changes, parameterization etc on the camera because the camera reported that the engine was on (it wasn't).
    I worked around this by unplugging the terminal 30 voltage relay in the engine fuse compartment.

Once the camera is coded and has the right parameter set, you need to perform the static calibration routine using the calibration board and ODIS.
    I had to fudge the measurements on the wheel arches by adding 20mm or the calibration routine would fail reporting that the camera height was too low.

Once calibration was complete and all faults cleared the new Sign Assist and Lane Assist features appear in the MFD and can be enabled.
    Lane assist will now engage automatically at 65km/h and keep the car in the lane, with the usual 13 second dead man timer warning you to take control if you leave your hand off the wheel too long.

New windscreen in place with the Darth Vadar camera mount:

Calibration board

Last edited by kamold; 05-08-2018 at 08:26 AM.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Camera and heater mat

Trim pieces in place
    Last edited by kamold; 16-08-2018 at 05:29 PM.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Perfect! what distance from camera to calibration board and mounting height of calibration board?

1500mm front axles to wall.
    Middle black dots should be in line with the camera but I had to drop it down about 100mm
    Last edited by kamold; 06-08-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Users Country Flag
    This is awesome. I would love to do this to my Passat

Users Country Flag
    kamold congrats for the retrofit!

I had no idea about the extension of the job to fit B7 with this camera.

Users Country Flag
    That's an insane retrofit mate!! A big congrats to you. Are you gonna give us an idea on what this cost you!!! Your 36 must be the most valuable in the country!!
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Apart from the windscreen the camera is about $200, heater mat $50, 3d printed adapters $50 and wiring harness about $70. Trim pieces $60 and rear view mirror $50 from a wrecker.

On my B7 I already have the lane assist, do I just upgrade to the B8 Camera and heater mat?

If you already have lane assist you won't have anything to gain really other than a newer camera module.
    It may perform slightly better
    But if you did want to do it you'll need the 3d printed adapters as well as the heater mat.
    Quote Originally Posted by 909OGO View Post
    On my B7 I already have the lane assist, do I just upgrade to the B8 Camera and heater mat?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast