Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: B7 Retrofitting - MIG's Passat

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Current project status

7N0 radar is now in and working; I will do a write-up and share CAD models shortly

Upcoming or looking into

- Kessy retrofit
    - CC rear power sunshade
    - New front seats
    - Power boot opening.
    - Steering wheel (I have not made up my mind what one yet)
    - Installing my custom gateway under the drivers seat (Where the BT module was) and tap into the existing overhead buttons
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag
    Nice one Mig, look forward to the radar blog...

I remember seeing a good write-up on many things Passat including rear blind at CBX RNS510 & Accessories: Passat Everything (jimmy-cbx.blogspot.com) (you may have seen it).

Cheers
    R36 Wagon MY2010.5: Biscay Blue| Dynaudio and Nav| RVC| VW tow bar|
    Mod highlights:
    ECU and DSG Tune| 3AA CCM and 7N0 Gateway| 3D colour MFD| MIB2 retrofit and 7N0 RVC| Quad LED tail, brake and indicator rings| Zimmermann Sportbrake rotors, composite pads| TPMS High| 2Q0 Blind Spot and RCTA| B8 rearview mirror|

Ok, after driving with the 7N0 radar for a few months, I might as well do the write-up.

The newer 7N0 radar is used in the newer PQ-based Sharan, Passat NMS and a few others.

These radars can be found online for about $75AUD with the mounts now, 2K5907561B, 3Q0907561C can also be converted to the 7N0907572C

After the component protection fix became public, I was pretty keen on the upgrade.

Parts needed.

Passat with MED17 ECU, or emulator for the can signals needed
    ABS unit that supports ACC
    7N0907572C ACC module
    Custom mounts for the Passat
    1-1534229-1 connector
    u-Link NT (JTAG programmer)
    Harness (I just made it up, as it's only can lines, power and ground)

B7 Retrofitting - MIG's Passat-acc1-jpg

First up was flashing the software and applying the patch to the unit.

B7 Retrofitting - MIG's Passat-acc2-jpg

Then I made some custom mounts out of some aluminium and 5mm riv-nuts

B7 Retrofitting - MIG's Passat-acc3-jpg

Basic alignment was done via a laser level, matching the car's thrust angle, the towbar's middle, and the front grill's centre.

B7 Retrofitting - MIG's Passat-acc4-jpg

In my case, I had an error trigger each time the car used the Follow to stop feature; it would apply the handbrake and log an error to do with ACC acceleration. Shout out to the amazing Kamold for helping me with that one.

Flashing the ECU fixed the issue.

So, after a few months of using it, how is it?
    Well, as others say, the range is a bit shorter, but in practice, this does not make much difference; the unit has way better wide-angle tracking; for example, it accelerates again when the car in front moves out of your lane much quicker. The FTS feature is more refined in start-stop traffic, and you get a little too-close warning when you start tailgating.

This is also a much cheaper alternative to using a 3AA radar, as those radars are getting stupidly pricy on the used market.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon

Users Country Flag
    I'm really happy with the enhanced performance over previous gen, particularly with following cars through curves where the 2nd gen radar would quickly lose lock.
    The hardware is the same (Bosch MRREvo) as is used in the MQB cars like Mk7.5 Golf, B8 Passat etc. (was also used in other brands including Tesla).
    So it's got at least 10 years of software and hardware improvements over the previous generation.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    I love your DIY ADAS Calibration tools!!! Well done, love following this thread!!!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    I'm really happy with the enhanced performance over previous gen, particularly with following cars through curves where the 2nd gen radar would quickly lose lock.
    The hardware is the same (Bosch MRREvo) as is used in the MQB cars like Mk7.5 Golf, B8 Passat etc. (was also used in other brands including Tesla).
    So it's got at least 10 years of software and hardware improvements over the previous generation.
    100%, the unit is much more refined in every way, which makes getting stuck in traffic way more calm lol.

Interestingly, the TRW Autocruise family of radars the old unit was from, was announced in 2004 for the Phaeton, and even had follow-to-stop feature back then.

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    I love your DIY ADAS Calibration tools!!! Well done, love following this thread!!!
    Nearly have the full set now , handy tools to have. Lucky VW has not changed their ADAS boards and tools that much over the years, or even in some cases integrated auto-calibration in some of the newer modules eg (2Q0 side assist modules)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MIG View Post
    Rear climate control and heated seats are in, also installed the 230v invertor, with all this stuff added will probably need the 180A alternator next
    Attachment 55099
    Attachment 55100

In other news, I've completed the valve cover gasket replacement and PCV valve upgrade. While I had everything open, I took the opportunity to inspect the intake valves. Now I'm in the process of gathering the necessary equipment for a thorough walnut blasting

Video of the carbon buildup 2023 02 06 11 49 23 - YouTube

Attachment 55101
    Attachment 55102

Still got plenty more to do
    Hey MIG, regarding to the rear climate panel and the socket, may I know other than the two hardwares what else is needed for the installation? How does the rear panel communicate with the front one? I am trying to replicate this on my B6 R36.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by jerr View Post
    Hey MIG, regarding to the rear climate panel and the socket, may I know other than the two hardwares what else is needed for the installation? How does the rear panel communicate with the front one? I am trying to replicate this on my B6 R36.

Thanks in advance!
    The rear climate was a bit of a money hole. started with just the panels, then the trim did not fit the centre console, then there was no blanking plate for the inverter, so I ended up upgrading everything lol, all the parts were sourced from the Magotan, the Chinese Passat B7, that also had an extended wheelbase limo model.

Here are some sneak peeks of what is in the current pipeline.
    B7 Retrofitting - MIG's Passat-c97ea1aa-15b5-441d-a3a4-24286d4245a2-jpg
    B7 Retrofitting - MIG's Passat-img_0342-jpg

Hey MIG did you end up recording any videos at all? GW with the upgrades

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456