Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: B7 Passat - Head Unit Upgrade

Hey Blergen, I looking to do the same upgrade and trying to decide on the head unit.

Just a couple of questions on the Alpine unit you went for, does it use the factory microphone? And does it sync with the clock in the dash?

Users Country Flag
    Howdy,

Interested in the 2022 view on this issue. My wife’s RNS510 is experiencing startup loop of doom, suggesting hardware issue apparently.

Have been trying to convince her to get CarPlay for a while.

Is the RCD330 the go? I see these are around $500 and with some programming can be adapted to the dynaudio and high line spec camera we have.

So other than the RCD330 itself, I presume I will need some kind of adapter for the camera too - does anyone know what to look for exactly?

As as for programming, will a “Carly+“ scanner do the trick or so I need to go the more expensive VCDS cable/software route?

Users Country Flag
    You have two options with the camera, one is to use an RGB to CVBS adaptor, for about $35 or get a new camera that has both native CVBS output and dynamic lines for about $150, but you will get a much better picture quality.

That Carly+ claims it can do coding, but it might be set to a preconfigured list, not the advanced settings VCDS can do.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag
    Ok $35 is not too bad. I saw the aerpro one for $315 and thought - well, yeah nah.

Of the more modern options - are there any that will simply fit in place of the OEM one?

So many options!!!!!

Have also been looking at non VW options - seems easy enough to fit an aftermarket unit that will interface with the dynaudio well enough these days.

Users Country Flag
    I’ve actually been recommended to bypass the 330 and go with composition media.

Apparently works better with dynaudio among other things.

Users Country Flag
    Composition Media or Discover Media (the nav version) are much better than RCD330.
    Factory amp support is in built. As is steering wheel controls, MFD support (for BAP displays), better audio quality, better software quality, rear mount USB, factory mic support.
    Obviously more expensive but like anything you get what you pay for.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Yeah that is where I’m heading. Got a price from a local place that wasn’t too bad.

I have discover in my Mk7 golf, I didn’t realise there was a version with passat style surround. Excellent.

Apparently I need to upgrade the rear camera (as I would for 330) but not sure if I will need to reprogram via VCDS or similar.

I’m going to assume yes?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MIG View Post
    You have two options with the camera, one is to use an RGB to CVBS adaptor, for about $35 or get a new camera that has both native CVBS output and dynamic lines for about $150, but you will get a much better picture quality.

That Carly+ claims it can do coding, but it might be set to a preconfigured list, not the advanced settings VCDS can do.
    Ok I’m obviously dud at googling, can you give me some pointers for the RGB to CVBS adaptor?

Looks like we will definitely go aftermarket headhunt - keeping the factory camera would be a bonus.

But also not that important - not too fussed if we need to fit a new camera to match the headunit - and possibly get a resolution upgrade at same time….!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Cplus View Post
    Ok I’m obviously dud at googling, can you give me some pointers for the RGB to CVBS adaptor?
    I was just going off the prices I saw on Aliexpress, I can not comment on the quality of them as I have not used them before.

The after-market CVBS camera are pretty easy to install, just remove the trim and run the cables in via the door sill trim.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MIG View Post
    I was just going off the prices I saw on Aliexpress, I can not comment on the quality of them as I have not used them before.

The after-market CVBS camera are pretty easy to install, just remove the trim and run the cables in via the door sill trim.
    Nice. Sounds like a way better idea to just use a $75 proprietary camera with whatever brand of head unit we go.

Can you retrofit it into the factory trim where the factory camera is - is that what you’re suggesting?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast