Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: B7 Allterrain Vehicle - Camp Alltrack

B7 Allterrain Vehicle - Camp Alltrack

Well that's probably a bit adventurous for a title, but I'm planning to make our MY12 Alltrack a bit more off-road friendly for camping trips and the like.

Inspired by the original Camp Allroad Instagram account (I was going to buy an Allroad before deciding the Alltrack was more wallet friendly) I wanted to give the Alltrack a bit of a tougher look, without really going as far as a lift kit.

The plan was to fit some off road tyres like BF Goodrich AT. However given my Alltrack has the sport pack and runs a 18x7.5 wheel there's not a lot of choice that actually has any decent sidewall and off-road tread.

Here's a golf alltrack with he look I was going for

So I went trawling the last few months for a set of 16" steel wheels with 5x112 pattern to no avail. In the end I placed a bid not expecting to win on a set of CSA Essen wheels on eBay with the right BCD.

A few inspiration shots

So I'm asking for input, is this a stupid idea? What issues might I come up against?
    Why bother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest question really is what issues I might get into by fitting AT tyres.

My Passat has 225/45-18 95w
    On the second set of wheels (16x6.5) I'm looking at a BF Goodrich AT in 215/65/16 103s

That's makes a
    4% increase in diameter
    4.4% decrease in width
    4% increase in circumference
    38% higher sidewall

Is that going to be possible from a legal standpoint? Will it negatively affect anything mechanically on the 4motion system?

Last edited by Foxpuppet; 26-08-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Users Country Flag
    You should be able to compensate for any speedo errors with the appropriate diagnostic software.

It shouldn't affect the car mechanically, as long as you run the same size wheels and tyres all round.

TPMS might be a little upset, but you can temporarily code it out while you've got the offroad wheels on. The other thing to consider, regarding the above, is a spare. Will you just carry a can of goo?
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    You should be able to compensate for any speedo errors with the appropriate diagnostic software.

It shouldn't affect the car mechanically, as long as you run the same size wheels and tyres all round.

TPMS might be a little upset, but you can temporarily code it out while you've got the offroad wheels on. The other thing to consider, regarding the above, is a spare. Will you just carry a can of goo?
    That's good to hear, what diagnostic system would I need for the Basics?

I was thinking along the lines of the Allroad in the pic above. Roof rack system with spare on top possibly or just limp with standard spare. I think there is room to possibly expand the wheel well for the spare by removing some of the styrofoam surround.

Dropped into Local Bob Jane today. There's a deal for Yokohama with 4 for price of 3.

Told me the only option is The Geolander AT-S 215/60r16 @ $219 per fitted/balanced -$657 all up.

However they queried the legality of the wheel size. Asked what's on the placard.

It lists
    225/50/17 94v
    225/45/18 95w
    Spare
    215/55/16 97w

So is a 16" alloy going to be legal if it only
    Lists the spare at that size?

I was going to post pics but tapatalk is not letting me right now

Last edited by Foxpuppet; 07-09-2017 at 09:52 PM.

A call to my local dealer and then VW Australia and still can't get an upfront answer on wether a 16" wheel will be ok. Some Passat wagons run a 16" and there is not difference in brake size or anything similar that could possibly cause issue.

So went on to call RTA technical services and they couldn't see an issue. They said they focus mostly on upsizing wheels not down. Also mentioned it's down to the tyre shop to decide. But they did refer me to search a certifier and ask them.

Users Country Flag
    Look on the NSW RTA site under light vehicle mods It will list max increase there Its mostly no more than 25mm diameter I think
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    There's no issue with your tyre diameter. Well within allowed tolerances. Check out one of the on line calculators for yourself. The wheel on its own isn't a factor unless going wider.
    The 16" wheel in itself isn't an issue as long as it clears the brakes etc. I can't imagine it would foul them but a test fit would be wise.
    Looking for:- RS4 B7 Avant.
    Current:- Amarok V6 Sportline; Mazda CX-9 Azami AWD
    Previous - Mk 6 R manual; Mk 7 R manual; Passat 130 TDi Wagon. Mk 7.5 Wolfsburg Wagon.

Users Country Flag
    Here in Victoria its max of 15mm difference in rolling diameter from the largest/smallest tyre on the plackard

Rim diameter and sidewall dont matter its all about speedo error vicroads care about
    There are plenty of good online tyre calculator programs
    Just punch in the old tyre and new one it will give you the difference in rolling diameter
    I went from 225/45/18 to 235/35/19 and the difference was 12.7mm in rolling diameter so just made the 15mm cutoff
    Don't forget the tyre width also affects rolling diameter!
    The good calculator will also adjust for this

Good luck post picks when your done
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Look on the NSW RTA site under light vehicle mods It will list max increase there Its mostly no more than 25mm diameter I think
    Thanks for that. 25mmis the max increase in width for the wheel. It's a Rolling diameter I'm after and that lists an increase of no more than 7%

If anyone is interested here's the link

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...ifications.pdf

Last edited by Foxpuppet; 09-09-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast