Thread: B6 Wagon, fuel level never reads full.

Unhappy B6 Wagon, fuel level never reads full.

Hi, so always had this problem of fuel level never reading full. Even filled up to the brim but level never went up to full. So I had recently cleaned out the main tank and the pump and thought it might have improved but this didn't work out.

So used the vcds and did an instrument cluster check. The fuel level went up all the way then rested smack in the middle.
    Speed needle went to 101 instead of 100 but I had kind of known that any way.

Then I proceeded to max out the adaptation in 30 and changed level from 128 to max of 136, on saving it still only went close to max but not all the way, even when I filled up extra to the brim again. The range increased from 910 to 930 as well, meaning I need to be more wary of when it runs low.

Did a repeat instrument cluster check and it still went to the middle, not more.

No faults or errors seen on scan. So any one got any ideas what could be a solution to this problem, not a big issue just too much free time on my hands.

Users Country Flag
    As you would know, the (in tank) fuel pump has the fuel level sensor incorporated within the same assembly.
    My bet, faulty fuels level sensor (so best to replace the whole assembly).
    Had a similar issue with a Jetta many years ago...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Hmm. I had a look at getting a replacement fuel level sensor when I had cleaned out tge tank. The pump had fine black stuff/carbon/soot on it which I cleaned away and used a bit of contact cleaner on the sensor so thought it might do the trick.

Thanks for the input. I will look at getting a replacement sensor.

No sensors replacement videos and from memory the pump had very fine wiring inside, so I might just leave things as they are till the whole fuel pump needs changing, which might happen if I run out. Will keep topping up before it reaches the first red line so fingers crossed.

Users Country Flag
    Can you go ahead and do a needle sweep test via VCDS to rule it out being the cluster?

Yeah did that, its landing dot in the middle. Even after reducing max value via vcds. Thisbtime around needle going down a lot slowly as fuel is being used up