Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B6 Projector Upgrade

Users Country Flag

B6 Projector Upgrade

So my headlights got so bad it was dangerous to drive at night.
    I'd already replaced the stock D1S with new genuine Philips Xtreme Vision so I knew it wasn't the bulbs.

After some research I discovered that the Valeo projectors inside the headlights are known for burning out at the back, causing light output to drop.

I bought a set of lightly damaged headlights from a wreck and some plastic welding tools to repair the broken tabs.

B6 Projector Upgrade-headlight-repair-tab-jpg

Bought a set of Aharon Optimus NT projectors for Right Hand Drive (also known as Left Hand Traffic) from Retrofit lab:

Aharon Optimus NT - Bi-xenon projectors Hella design

B6 Projector Upgrade-projectors-jpg

Cut the headlights open with a dremel in order to access the projector assemblies within:
    B6 Projector Upgrade-headlight-open-1-jpg

Needed new brackets to mount the new projectors as they are slightly fatter and deeper:
    B6 Projector Upgrade-brackets-jpg

Sealed up the headlights with plastic weld staples and Sikaflex 227:
    B6 Projector Upgrade-headlight-sealed-jpg

Original low beam:
    B6 Projector Upgrade-original-low-jpg

Upgraded low beam:
    B6 Projector Upgrade-upgraded-low-jpg

Cutoff:
    B6 Projector Upgrade-cutoff-low-jpg

Original High beam:
    B6 Projector Upgrade-original-high-jpg

Upgraded high beam:
    B6 Projector Upgrade-upgraded-high-jpg

B6 Projector Upgrade-high-beam-jpg

Inner shrouds:
    TAOCHIS Car Styling Shrouds Mask for 3.0 inch HELLA 3R G5 Koito Q5 Bi Xenon Projector Lens Retrofit Head Light Volkswagen Tiguan on AliExpress
    Brackets:
    TAOCHIS Adapter frame Head light for VW Volkswagen Magotan Adaptive Frontlighting System AFS Hella 3R G5 Projector lens-in Car Light Accessories from Automobiles & Motorcycles on AliExpress
    Last edited by kamold; 23-11-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

I bet that was a satisfying result. BTW check the time stamp on your edit 03:12 PM

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah super satisfied with the result. I really appreciate being able to see where I'm going in the dark...
    Not sure I understand the edit comment?
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Well done. Your ability to do upgrades never ceases to amaze me. I want to be around when you eventually sell your car!
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Never selling it. Just upgrading.
    Actually got it out in the dark tonight and it's sooooo much better.
    Looking forward to a proper night drive in the country now.

A little darker

B6 Projector Upgrade-20191123_203525-jpg
    Last edited by kamold; 29-11-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Shutters open for some high beaming
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B6 Projector Upgrade-20191123_203530-jpg  
    Last edited by kamold; 25-11-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Users Country Flag
    That’s a fantastic upgrade!
    Do the new lights come with the shutter motor? Mine is faulty on one light.

Quote Originally Posted by Passat my07 View Post
    That’s a fantastic upgrade!
    Do the new lights come with the shutter motor? Mine is faulty on one light.
    Yes the projectors have the shutter motors in them.

Users Country Flag

nice work - as always
    that is a huge difference there.
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast