Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another RNS510 post...recommendations

Users Country Flag

Another RNS510 post...recommendations

Hi all

Long story, the Mrs has a 2006/07 Passat sedan and as of few weeks ago, the RNS510 just died (Tries to boot up but screen goes black after VW screen). The car had an earlier type satnav radio and the RNS with preloaded Aus maps/vid in motion was retrofitted in 2011 along with the camera (both genuine vw items) and has worked faultlessly till now. Have taken car to an autoelec who sent it away to be checked and apparently with newer firmware/maps, the unit powered back up. System then worked for the day but seemed to run a little slow on touchscreen and nav kept relocating back to Europe. Camera screen view appeared wider but no matter what settings I tried, it seemed out of focus. Next day the battery went flat so I took out the radio fuse, charged it up and took it back to autoelec. Battery drain obviously from the unit.

Now, reading through various forums including here, I mentioned the gateway issues associated with early Passats, firmware compatibility however all fell on deaf ears and his "contact" who checked the RNS also disagreed. They tried another RNS unit and same thing happened. After being fed up and without a car for 2 weeks, I then took it to someone else (VW workshop here in East Sydney) who originally installed the radio for me back in 2011. They also couldn't diagnose the issue nor remember what they did to get it going. They also tried another RNS by the looks of it as saw one of the mechs take a unit out of the car. All they told me was its got battery drain and suspect of the radio. I don't know how thorough they were or if anything was diagnosed (when I went today, they seemed to be checking battery with multimeter which is a bit odd on day 3) so out of desperation and hint of frustration, I took the car back as its been there for 3 days. I did ask them about the gateway and if they could check and was simply told no update found and wouldn't be the issue as it worked for the past 12 years.

I have reached out to kamold who has graciously given me some info however when I raised these to the workshops, ive just gotten blank stares. Now, I have no clue about vcds, gateways or anything technical about VW. I work on my own Evo but completely out of my element on this. Basically, what I'm asking is who the heck can I pay to just diagnose and fix the problem...workshop in Syd, member on here...anyone!. I'm not afraid to pay for the help, pay for a newer gateway etc or even another RNS/maps, whatever. Just don't wish to go aftermarket. The wife relies heavily on the camera and being a daily kid taxi, getting difficult leaving the car around workshops to no avail. Her nagging isn't helping.

Users Country Flag
    Well if Kamold doesnt know I doubt we would have any further advice. Usually if its showing its in Europe it has the Reichensburgh syndrome which i bet Kamold mentioned

rns510 reichensburgh syndrome - Google တွင် ရှာရန်
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    More and more RNS units are failing now, and you might be better off retrofitting again to a newer unit.

A good workshop should be able to run a scope on the CAN bus and see what module is not shutting down to isolate the problem; if you were in VIC, I would be more than happy to lend a hand.

It is pointing toward a gateway issue or some other module on the infotainment can bus not shutting down after the BCM calls for the car to go to sleep.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    it was odd Hillbilly, everything in English, local nav and address input worked but when car started up again, map aerial shows middle of Germany and wants me to input country every time. Then cant find recommended destination. Kamold does have an idea but problem is workshops aren't listening. Thanks MIG, looks like no good workshop in my area at least Agree, I'm still thinking that gateway thingo as RNS apparently has updated firmware (or so im told). I put fuse back in and radio working but nav somewhat haywire. Makes me think my unit had some sort of patch originally if that's even a thing, to work with my original gateway. Workshop said that's not possible but never remember them mentioning anything about the canbus gateway when it was originally installed.
    Last edited by matrox; 16-07-2022 at 09:32 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by matrox View Post
    it was odd Hillbilly, everything in English, local nav and address input worked but when car started up again, map aerial shows middle of Germany and wants me to input country every time. Then cant find recommended destination. Kamold does have an idea but problem is workshops aren't listening. Thanks MIG, looks like no good workshop in my area at least Agree, I'm still thinking that gateway thingo as RNS apparently has updated firmware (or so im told). I put fuse back in and radio working but nav somewhat haywire. Makes me think my unit had some sort of patch originally if that's even a thing, to work with my original gateway. Workshop said that's not possible but never remember them mentioning anything about the canbus gateway when it was originally installed.
    Is there any chance it's the GPS unit itself? Lost/broken positioning, so the RNS defaults to EU.

Otherwise, could it be a dodgy/corrupted memory module in one of the controllers? - I'm no auto tech expert, just thinking about computers in general.

Users Country Flag
    5238 is latest firmware and is available from the technical section on here

Firmware updates for RNS510 units in Australia/NZ
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 17-07-2022 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nermal View Post
    Is there any chance it's the GPS unit itself? Lost/broken positioning, so the RNS defaults to EU.

Otherwise, could it be a dodgy/corrupted memory module in one of the controllers? - I'm no auto tech expert, just thinking about computers in general.
    GPS issue literally just started but point taken. Think some setting is wrong somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    5238 is latest firmware and is available from the technical section on here

Firmware updates for RNS510 units in Australia/NZ
    Has latest firmware but think gateway communication issue. Think i'll just speak to Euro car electronics about suitable gateway etc and send the RNS unit up to Qld. But thanks

Users Country Flag
    Has latest firmware but think gateway communication issue. Think i'll just speak to Euro car electronics about suitable gateway etc and send the RNS unit up to Qld. But thanks
    Well as Euro charge $180 an hour and a RNS 510 can be bought for under $500 now I would be looking at something newer that can have its maps upgraded Something like this

Volkswagen Discovery Pro MIB 8 Inch LED Screen 5G0919606 OEM Genuine - Euro Car Performance & Electronics Upgrades

Look here lots of solutions rns510 | Gumtree Australia Free Local Classifieds for the RNS510
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 17-07-2022 at 06:31 PM.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Well as Euro charge $180 an hour and a RNS 510 can be bought for under $500 now I would be looking at something newer that can have its maps upgraded Something like this

Volkswagen Discovery Pro MIB 8 Inch LED Screen 5G0919606 OEM Genuine - Euro Car Performance & Electronics Upgrades
    That's an MIB screen only suitable for an MQB car. Not PQ. If installed in an MQB car still needs the MIB unit in the glovebox to run it.
    There is a suitable PQ unit Discover Media/Composition Media PQ.

To the OP I've already told you via PM that the gateway can be upgraded to newer software to support a gen3 radio.
    Last edited by kamold; 18-07-2022 at 07:48 AM.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast