Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alltrack operating temp

Alltrack operating temp

Hi guys

I am now the happy owner of a 2013 Alltrack

I was wondering how long these cars typically tame to get to operating temp. On the freeway the other day it was fine, however this morning I fired her up, idled for a few mins and took her for a short drive <5kms but prob 10 mins on the road and the temp gauge was still very low, almost hadn’t moved
    Is this normal - I’ve not had a tdi before so wasn’t sure if it is common for diesels to take longer?

Heating and all that was fine.

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    My TDI took about 5-10mins to get to normal temp of 90Deg. After I had the timing belt and water pump done I had a similar occurance Temp actually dropped while climbing a hill.
    Solution get it hot, when you park in the garage take the cover off the coolant reservoir listen for air coming up. Leave till next day and see if it happens. There is also a thermostat on top of the transmission that can cause that.

I bought one thinking I needed it and didnt so its in the cupboard Cost $50
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 03-05-2019 at 08:13 AM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I think it’s all good! Bit of noob! It was cold this morning I think she just needed a bit more time!

Check the digital readout in the MFD. On my my13 passat the digital oil temperature shows higher temperatures much faster than the analogue gauge.
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Question - what should the oil running temp be - what range should I expect?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc_Gusto View Post
    Question - what should the oil running temp be - what range should I expect?
    it's very dependent on the ambient temperature but up to 120c is normal, even higher if you are having a crack, long uphill or towing.

My recommendation is not to look at it. It's full synthetic oil and very tolerant of high temperatures.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Thanks

I was more interested if it was at the lower end. Yesterday it was around the 83 degree mark after 30 odd minutes in the freeway and the thermostat was prob around 70. Mind you it was cold out (8 degrees) and I hadn’t driven the car for over 2 weeks
    On the way home the thermostat sat at 90 and the oil temp 93-98

I think it’s all ok

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc_Gusto View Post
    Thanks

I was more interested if it was at the lower end. Yesterday it was around the 83 degree mark after 30 odd minutes in the freeway and the thermostat was prob around 70. Mind you it was cold out (8 degrees) and I hadn’t driven the car for over 2 weeks
    On the way home the thermostat sat at 90 and the oil temp 93-98
    I assume thermostat = water temperature?

Even at 8c it should be sitting on 90 after about 15 minutes as the thermostat should remain closed until NOT is reached. If the gauge is reading low then I'd suspect the thermostat is opening early or partially stuck open.
    NB: VW water temp gauges are designed to sit on 90. That reading actually means anywhere between ~80-~100
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Interesting thanks and yes meant the temp gauge

It was def oscillating lower than that yesterday but today was normal eg on 90

I’ll keep an eye on it

Ok

So it happened today, quite strange behaviour and probably one for the mechanic but I thought I’d pass it by you experts anyway!
    So outside air temp 13 degrees. ~30 mins drive time on freeway at 100km/p/h.
    Oil temp running at approx 85 degrees
    Temp gauge oscillating between 75 and 90. Literally would get up to 90 and then drop again?!?! Also noticed it dropped when I went down a hill!
    Anyway I normally deactivate the start / stop but when I reached an off ramp I decide to see whether turning the car on and off effected it. So activated start stop and when the car turned back on the temp gauge went to 90 as it should and stayed there?!!!?
    Oil temp digital read out still at 83-85
    Any ideas / clues based on what I’ve shared?!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast