Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advise in buying R36

Advise in buying R36

Hi there, I’m currently looking to buy an r36 wagon as a family car.

We currently have a Subaru Forester XTL which I love but is a bit small for our growing family. The rear facing baby seat pushes the passenger so far up its like sitting on a cheap seat air flight.

Anyway, I have previously had a few VW/Audi but all much older than an r36.
    I have spoken to my dedicated vw Audi mechanic which I trust and he has mentioned that the timing chain service is an issue and expensive.

I have found a few low kms ones around that I can afford. Some in better condition than others, but price reflects this.

Just wanted to see if there is anything I need to keep an eye on.

Tried a search but didn’t come up with much.

Cheers in advance.
    Micah

Quote Originally Posted by MICAH View Post
    Hi there, I’m currently looking to buy an r36 wagon as a family car.

We currently have a Subaru Forester XTL which I love but is a bit small for our growing family. The rear facing baby seat pushes the passenger so far up its like sitting on a cheap seat air flight.

Anyway, I have previously had a few VW/Audi but all much older than an r36.
    I have spoken to my dedicated vw Audi mechanic which I trust and he has mentioned that the timing chain service is an issue and expensive.

I have found a few low kms ones around that I can afford. Some in better condition than others, but price reflects this.

Just wanted to see if there is anything I need to keep an eye on.

Tried a search but didn’t come up with much.

Cheers in advance.
    Micah
    When you find a shortlist to check out, have someone who really knows DSG gearboxes check them out with you or give you a list of things to look out for.

Users Country Flag
    The timing chain issue is usually a problem with the chain tensioner, which basically a spring that keeps the chain taught whilst waiting for the oil pressure to come up. It is characterized by a rattling sound on startup. If this persists for more than a few seconds then the tensioner will probably need to be replaced. If it continues after that then eventually the chain and guides would need replacement which is bigger job.

Obviously ensure the service is up to date with no skipped services, particularly the DSG and Haldex services every 60k.

Seat side bolsters are usually crushed, particularly the driver's side. This is not really avoidable due to the design of the seat. You can replace the seat foam with original (I did this) or have it repaired by a motor trimmer.

Check that the AC blows cool air within a few mins and that the flap motors can adjust air up and down.

On a drive confirm the front wheels don't easily break traction (could indicate the Haldex is not functioning- usually the pump. Or could just be bad tyres )

Otherwise just the usual for a car inspection, get a full autoscan to check for any fault codes.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Speaking to repair people over time, there seemed to be a period in the early-to-middle years of R36 production where the timing chains were not up to the job and stretched. This didn't seem to happen with the earlier Golf R32 VR6 engines or the later R36s.

Having experienced a very expensive repair that required replacement of both timing chains, main tensioner and adjuster solenoids, I would err towards buying a used R36 that had already had this repair work done. The replacement parts were improved and had revised part numbers. Workshop receipts that proved the timing chain repair had been done would attract me to that particular car. Maybe it wouldn't matter with the later R36s.
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag
    I had an MY10 R36 which had the timing chain /tensioner noise and was only 80,000 km old.
    I didn't want to deal with it so I sold it

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmura View Post
    I had an MY10 R36 which had the timing chain /tensioner noise and was only 80,000 km old.
    I didn't want to deal with it so I sold it

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    Tensioner is about $80.
    Takes 10mins to replace.
    If that doesn't fix the issue then the chain and guides may need doing.

Selling the car may be a little extreme without looking into it first?

Since I had mine replaced there has been no rattle (about 6 month now).
    Last edited by kamold; 04-12-2017 at 07:26 AM.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Tensioner is about $80.
    Takes 10mins to replace.
    If that doesn't fix the issue then the chain and guides may need doing.

Selling the car may be a little extreme without looking into it first?

Since I had mine replaced there has been no rattle (about 6 month now).
    Wow. Really?
    My understanding was the front bar has to come off, gearbox, chain cover...
    ?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Only to replace the chain and guides...

The tensioner itself just needs the airbox to come out.
    Clamp the oil hose, unscrew the tensioner from the block.
    Prime the new tensioner with oil, install it.
    Start car and rev for a minute to get oil pressure back up.
    Done.

You'll want to test fit your baby seat. We've got a B6, assuming internal dimensions are similar amongst the models, and our rear facing seat will touch the seats if they are far back enough. It's my wifes daily, she's short so not an issue and we move the front passenger forward enough that it doesn't touch. When I drive though I need to move the RF seat slightly to get my chair back enough.

Just food for thought.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Only to replace the chain and guides...

The tensioner itself just needs the airbox to come out.
    Clamp the oil hose, unscrew the tensioner from the block.
    Prime the new tensioner with oil, install it.
    Start car and rev for a minute to get oil pressure back up.
    Done.
    So how can you tell if its just the tensioner, or the guides making the racket? (I have the same engine in our MY12 CC and it's now passed 80,000km. No noise yet.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast