Thread: 2013 Passat sports mode

2013 Passat sports mode

Hey y'all.

When I put my gear lever into sport mode it does not show S1, S2... As I cycle through the gears on the MFD whereas in normal drive mode it does.

Any ideas of this is normal or not?

If not what's there problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyk View Post
    Hey y'all.

When I put my gear lever into sport mode it does not show S1, S2... As I cycle through the gears on the MFD whereas in normal drive mode it does.

Any ideas of this is normal or not?

If not what's there problem?

I think there is the S mode & the "Tiptronic/manual" mode but I've never taken much notice of the gearing as much as the revs so I can't say for sure if it's normal or not but I'll have a look tonight. I think if you got to the "Tiptronic/manual" mode you'll get the the gears displayed as you changing them.
    Last edited by Old Navman; 23-04-2021 at 11:43 PM.
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

2013 Passat sports mode

Yes you are correct its the manual tiptronic mode. Its not like i look at it but the numbers don't come up like they do in normal drive.

In normal drive is on the top right of the MFD

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyk View Post
    Yes you are correct its the manual tiptronic mode. Its not like i look at it but the numbers don't come up like they do in normal drive. In normal drive is on the top right of the MFD
    In my car, which might have different instrument cluster to yours, gear information appears regardless of mode selected - D. S, or in Tiptronic. The gear selection is shown and appears in the same spot - RHS of the drive mode selection information. Mind you there might well be another setting which will show different information but I never bothered to check if such setting is possible as I only look at the display if there is a MIL on or I get an audible warning sound.

2013 Passat sports mode-20210423_220207s-jpg
    2006 VW Passat Sedan 3.2lt AXZ, FSI 4motion, another milestone - 350K ... and still going

Thanks yeah looks like a different MFD. 2013 Passat sports mode I'll try to take a photo also

Users Country Flag
    Not sure if it has the same set up, but on my 2011 Passat 125TDI when it's in Automatic Mode it should show the gear that the car is in. E.g. D1, D2, D3 etc.

When in Manual mode, it should display the gears the car is in as normal numbers, e.g. 1,2,3 etc.

One annoying thing is that when one scrolls through the MFD, it won't display the gear you are in. After a few moments the gear display returns. Frustrating when in manual mode.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Old Navman View Post
    In my car, which might have different instrument cluster to yours, gear information appears regardless of mode selected - D. S, or in Tiptronic. The gear selection is shown and appears in the same spot - RHS of the drive mode selection information. Mind you there might well be another setting which will show different information but I never bothered to check if such setting is possible as I only look at the display if there is a MIL on or I get an audible warning sound.
    This is the older red MFD that was fitted to B6 Passats before the facelift in 2009. After that, Passats got the white MFD. The red MFD would show all the possible gear lever positions along the bottom of the MFD, with the selector position highlighted. IIRC, In S and D modes, the selected ratio would be displayed in the bottom right corner. If the selector was in the manual position, or if the gearbox in manual override mode (by pressing one of the paddle shifters where fitted), the PRNDS display would be replaced with a 1-6 display, with the highlight showing the current gear position.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin51h View Post
    Not sure if it has the same set up, but on my 2011 Passat 125TDI when it's in Automatic Mode it should show the gear that the car is in. E.g. D1, D2, D3 etc.

When in Manual mode, it should display the gears the car is in as normal numbers, e.g. 1,2,3 etc.
    This. The White MFD-equipped Passats (and most other white-MFD equipped VWs) show the selector position in the top RH corner with the ratio number adjacent if in S or D mode. If the gear selector is in the manual position or in D or S but overridden via the steering wheel paddles, the letter disappears, leaving only a number displayed indicating the currently selected ratio.

I think this is an awesome feature and I don't know why more manufacturers don't do this (show the active gear ratio even when not in manual mode, and not just the gear lever position)