Thread: 2012 Passat: Intermittent "Thud" in 1st/Reverse with RPM Drop

Users Country Flag

2012 Passat: Intermittent "Thud" in 1st/Reverse with RPM Drop

Hey guys!

First time in the forum, so first of all, hello!

Just picked up a 2012 Passat VR6 4Motion a few weeks ago (replacing a 2012 Diesel that was hit by a drunk driver).

I've noticed that sometimes when I am at a stop, on acceleration (whether heavy or light) that there is an occasional RPM drop accompanied with a thud sound from the vehicle. This lasts not even a fraction of a second, and then the clutch engages properly and it drives normally.

This has happened in both D and tiptronic drive modes. The RPMs seem to drop about 200-300 or so, there is no stalling.

It sounds to me (without being totally sure it is the gearbox) almost as if the clutch is snapping on then immediately disengaging, then proceed to correctly slow-engage and drive normally. When the thud occurs there is no lurching or noticeable drive increase to the wheels.

Once moving, the car appears to shift between gears normally, no surging or clunky changes, and no other noises of concern.

My previous Passat was the same model just the FWD 2.0 diesel, so I was not sure if perhaps this was normal/expected behaviour for a V6 AWD model.

I will be taking the car in for a transmission oil/filter change tomorrow, just in case it is a level issue or bad oil disrupting the solenoids.

Any suggestions would be amazing!

Users Country Flag

Surprised nobody answered this for you.
    The DSG needs a calibration to properly engage the clutch at launch. It's a process that requires the Ross Tech cable & VCDS software.
    Other possibility is that either the transmission fluid is overfilled or needs replacing.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk