Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 2L TDI Passat wagon starting issues. BMR eng

Users Country Flag

2008 2L TDI Passat wagon starting issues. BMR eng

Hi all need help, or my X's is gunna kill me haha, Initially car died and X flattened battery whilst tryn to restart, jumpd it of my Golf checked codes on Vag steering angle sensor, Rpm crank sensor, abs sensor, which i suspected tripped to low voltage some of them, cleared codes and got it fired up,rest of codes cleared as she drove 100m serviced it following weekend usual 12 mnth filters oil change she is 2nd owner 261kms on clock i regularly service vehicle, she said was still slugish to start in week up to service on occasions,and has been intermittent like that for while apparently. Replaced 3 yr old varta battery with exide extreme, ran scan again on service intermittent implausible RPM crank sensor and climate control sensor coming up on Vag, replaced climate control sensor and Rpm crank sensor cleaned intake and EGR of sludge and carbon re assembled no start at all, removed rpm sensor checked reluctor for metal som minor bits cleaned reluctor with degreaser and rag removed metal particles tested sensor output whilst cranking with multi meter seemed ok,put it back together still no go, removed sensor replaced new one with old one and dismantled fuel intank lift pum checked 9 psi 2.25L per min flow dismantled starter motor cleaned commutator checked brushes greased etc crank speed is 160 Rpm and Rpm sensor code not coming upafter clearing so must of been metal on reluctor which is not gear type but drum type reluctor, have ran Vag pump purge of fuel system yet no fault code in enginenow, only sterring sensor but suspect that will clear when driven, on crank now will hesitantly fire but not run, almost sounds like timing is out but can not be as not touched anything there, Any clues appreciated and may put smile on X's face Thanks

Users Country Flag
    Cranking speed needs to be at least 280rpm.

If the battery is good, I'd be looking at replacing the starter motor. It's a common wear item on these.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanx for the response, checked again today with vag and think it may still be Rpm crank sensor, as what i did notice when i had new and old rpm sensor was new one was slightly different in shape slightly squarer but when checked part no on new box says replaces pt no 03C6906433B and original is a 036906433A so wondering if there may b some difference and if the new one is even faulty,

The night mare continues, have replaced starter with new one cranking fine now but will still wont run, kinda fires, no engine fault codes coming up now, have checked ECU connections yesterday and cleaned them with contact cleaner, still getting 00778- steering angle sensor (G85) 005- no or incorrect basic setting/ adaptation in address 03 ABS brakes, and address44 steering assist same code 00778- steering angle sensor (G85) 000- -, suspect these would clear if driven to reset values? Some new codes have appeared since cleaning ECU connections with battery disconnected, these are address 09 cent electrics subsystem 3 component fehler lin-slave01 02071 local databus 004-no signal communication, 00153 windshield wiper motor driver side (v216) 004- no signal communication,address 52 door elect passenger 00933 electric window motor passenger side(v148 ) 005- no or incorrect basic setting/adaption. surely none of these would stop engine from starting? have checked all hoses fuses, think i like to go back to my 78 golf diesel 1.4 with out all this crap fuel glow plug compression and away u would go whats happened to the world?? Any one got any more clues for this needle in a hay stack? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Ronka1; 23-08-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Users Country Flag
    None of those codes appear to be relevant to the problem.

Remove the rocker cover, and do a resistance test on the injectors. Carefully remove each connector, and test for resistance between any terminal on the injector, and the metal body of the injector itself. If you're getting an open circuit on at least one, it won't fire. If it's only one that is dead, leave it disconnected, refit the rocker cover, and it should start and run, albeit down a cylinder.

If that's how it plays out, the remedy is 4 new injectors and a replacement injector harness.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Thanks Umai appreciate the feed back will check this arvo as on hols, if i can call this a hol, the injectors were replaced in 2013 on this car in 2013 under VW recall, but will take ur advice on board and check for resistance on injectors, didn't think other codes would be the start issue but happy to learn,as running out of things to check haha, some info on net saying steering locks on B6 were issue and would not allow start thru immobiliser any thoughts on that or lets go one step at a time, as i said im from era of fuel compression and off we go. Thnx again cheers Ron.

Users Country Flag
    If it's an electric steering lock fault, it'll mention it on the dash, however as it's an immobilizer fault, it'll still start and run for a few seconds.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Have checked all 4 injectors for continuity, and all 4 reading infinity so no short to injector body, checked all wiring from injector connectors to multi pin round connector for resistance and visually and all ok, so spose next check is tandem pump and sposed to be some relays under dash drivers side?

Checked Tandem pump out today, complete dismantle clean check both one way valves working correctly to maintain min 1 bar pressure to injectors, pumping ok on bench test, although was unable to do pressure test, as looked like a M12 coarse thread and didn't have an adapter to attach to pressure gauge to pump, as they supposed to pump 14.5 bar at 4000rpm, obviously lot less at crank speed, checked cam valve timing and found lining flywheel TDC mark up thru inspection window on bell housing that ex cam was retarded inlet advanced go figure would also explain hard cranking past yrs since it went in for injector recall re pined and adj them back to where they should be, turning over easier now. Run out of things to check so not that familiar with VCDS system logs, but did notice after having look at mass air flow and injection volume that instead of having 14.6 to 1 air/fuel ratio i'm up at 21.4 to 1 so to lean to fire at that ratio i suspect, so leads me to ECU values are not correct. Not sure if they can be changed with VCDS? And not keen on messn with that area, so will get a friend who's up with ECU mapping to check it out. hopefully that is the issue as no other engine codes being thrown anymore, unless anyone has any other ideas?

Users Country Flag

Will it run on aerostart? That'll at least confirm it's a fuel issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast