Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 2L TDI Passat wagon starting issues. BMR eng

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Hi, it will fire on aero start with slight sniff, but it is something i'm not keen on using, it's at a mates workshop and he is suspecting same as me that it's ICU issue, i didn't have a adapter to check pressure in tandem and ensure it was holding 1 bar to injectors but when had pump dismantled check valves were operating ok under air pressure, but mate has adapter and was going to check as I suggested, i suspect it is ECU timing injectors with not enough time to get fuel to air ratio at 14.6 to 1 as turning it over can smell fuel even though it has some what unusual smell.

Users Country Flag
    If it's got an unusual smell are you sure that it hasn't had petrol put in the tank?

Hi yeah sure it has not had petrol in tank, and when i say unusual smell it is more like what I would say is un burnt diesel,which leads us to think it is getting diesel but the timing of how much and when electronically is what we suspect is most likely the issue as I said earlier the ratio would appear to be round 21.4 to 1 air fuel ratio, way to high and lean. MY07 do you have a vcds? Would be interested if u do to see ur output log on start up if u have BMR 125 KW 2L TDI in it. Cheers Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronka1 View Post
    Hi yeah sure it has not had petrol in tank, and when i say unusual smell it is more like what I would say is un burnt diesel,which leads us to think it is getting diesel but the timing of how much and when electronically is what we suspect is most likely the issue as I said earlier the ratio would appear to be round 21.4 to 1 air fuel ratio, way to high and lean. MY07 do you have a vcds? Would be interested if u do to see ur output log on start up if u have BMR 125 KW 2L TDI in it. Cheers Ron.
    Hey Ronka,
    So my 08 c6 with BMR engine is a little hard to start when cold and constantly has a very smelly exhaust odour but.. i have access to a vcds unit and can run whatever scan you need, I'm just not very familiar with it so just tell me what buttons to press and ill save the export and upload it here.

Regards,
    McGregor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you checked the battery??
    Also do you use a diesel additive??

Hi McGregor, thanks for the offer much appreciated, what i was more interested in was what the logs look like on start up,I'm not a expert with VCD'S myself but if u go into measuring blocks and add blocks to the log as car is started should then store that if i'm correct, i'm pretty sure we have eliminated it to ECU as everything else has been checked and ok.and some of the values showing in measuring blocks don't correspond to values VCDS shows when waving mouse over them and the values VCDS recommends.If u jump on Ross tech site or Google it will show u how to log a scan to the appropriate engine blocks. cheers thnx . Ron

Hi yep checked Battery replaced with new extreme and yes has always had Diesel additive and injector cleaner run thru it, most likely cause is ECU as run out of things to systematically check and some odd values shown up in ECU on VCDS scan, about to replace ECU with second handy and have it reprogrammed to this vin etc $150 + postage for reprogram + 330 second hand ecu, can buy reprogram equipment for bout 80 online but still have to swap EPROMS as that is where they store vin mobiliser info etc as I understand it. modern technology great while it's going bull **** when it isn't LOL Having a rest from it at the moment and catching up on other jobs I need done.

Oh well atleast you tried and got to learn a few new tricks. Good luck with it. Which battery did you get btw I am up for a change soon, thinking of Varta E44.

Ok so ive been trying to find a nice example of the slow to start and then crappy running and low and behold the damn thing is working. Interestingly enough though ive noticed that the glow plug light is staying on cor longer, normally on a cold morning it just flashes by quickly but last two days its been going for 2-3secs. So no example for you yet sorry.
    In my case im wondering how my temp sensors are going cos thats just weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi I put a Exide XDIN66MF with 42 month warranty,and rolls over easier now after doing timing reset and injector reset with dial gauge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast