Thread: 08 r36 Dynaudio with Sony Headunit - Muffled sounds on start

08 r36 Dynaudio with Sony Headunit - Muffled sounds on start

so, in my quest to make the car more palatable, i went out and got the OEM head unit swapped for a sony head unit

XAV-AX3005DB - Sony XAV-AX3005DB | 6.95" Touch Screen Apple CarPlay/Android Auto DAB Receiver with Bluetooth & USB | Frankies Auto Electrics

half way decent unit, nothing too fancy, name brand, Aus imported by Sony Aus, blah blah blah blah

put in by someone who does this and knows what he's doing, so not a DIY thing.

couldn't get the reverse camera to work, so had to stuff around and get an aftermarket one as i insisted on keeping the dynamic lines.

here comes the fun part. when i first start the car and the radio comes on (can't actually power off the unit completely), it sounds like the someone has put pillows over the speakers. all of the speakers. turn off the car and back on, and it all works properly. doesn't matter what it was left on, same result if it's regular radio, DAB, apply carplay, USB. the muffled sound is the same even when i switch from one source to another

the headunit has been swapped and it's still the same.

installer suggested that might be the amp, but i call BS as there was nothing wrong with the amp before i swapped headunits.

so, i'm wondering if anyone has similar issues and might have found a way to fix it?

Users Country Flag
    OEM amps work best with OEM head units.
    I presume the installer used a Line Out Converter to change the speaker level outputs from the head unit to line level balanced outputs that the amp expects?
    The amplifier is connected to the infotainment bus and expects CAN commands from the head unit. Those no longer exist.
    Best solution is use an OEM head unit that supports the amplifier via it's coding configuration, or replace the amp with something which is compatible with the head unit.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

any idea what the OEM amp's output is?