Thread: 01134 Alarm horn no signal

Users Country Flag

01134 Alarm horn no signal

My car has been throwing fault code 01134 alarm horn - no signal for around 4 years. I’ve just been ignoring it. Now the car battery is being drained flat in a week and I’m suspicious of parasitic drain from the alarm. I’ve read on Ross-Tech Wiki that the alarm horn contains a Ni-MH battery which can fail over time and cause this fault. The battery generally lasts about 10 years.
    No doubt VW want to sell a whole alarm unit, but I’ve also seen where some people cut open the alarm to replace the batteries. Does anyone have any experience of this or advice? Thanks.
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag
    The battery in my polo siren died. It leaked and corroded the circuit board. Electronics is one of my things. But I just binned it. Also too tight to buy another one. ��

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I'm pretty handy with electronics as well and I'd enjoy the challenge of fitting a new battery, although maybe not so much cutting open the unit then re-sealing it. I priced a new unit 1K0951605F at $455 from VW. I'm almost tempted to spend the money if I could be certain it would fix the problem. Can anyone confirm the battery in these units has a limited life?

Users Country Flag
    Last edited by JustCruisn; 14-07-2021 at 09:34 PM.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    I would buy a few scrapyard specials to try. Bound to find a good one sooner or later and save some money. Not sure just having bad battery is the problem. I reckon damage would have been done.

JustCruisn - AliExpress have very attractive pricing but I'm a little wary of the quality of Chinese copies.
    h100vw - good suggestion but used ones from wreckers might have batteries that are already at or near the end of their life.
    I'll wait to remove mine and check its part number which I'm sure will start with 3C0. I think the 1K0 ..... unit quoted by the dealer is a substitute part number from the Golf platform, probably because the 3C0 unit is no longer available.

UPDATE: I finally got an opportunity on a day without rain to remove the alarm horn. Here are some notes for anyone else who has to tackle this job. I read somewhere that the bracket is held to the body with rivets. So I drilled what I thought was the head of the ‘rivet’. This took quite some time.

01134 Alarm horn no signal-img_4750-jpg

Once I’d done this, I discovered that in fact there are two captive nuts attached to the car body. The alarm is held on by two bolts that have no hex or slot on the head. These bolts were held in place by a lot of blue thread sealant.

01134 Alarm horn no signal-img_4755-jpg

If I knew these were bolts before I started, I might have tried to cut a slot in the head of the bolt to unscrew it. Once the bracket is off the car, the alarm can be removed from the bracket.

01134 Alarm horn no signal-img_4754-jpg

I’d already decided to source another alarm, so it was a one minute job to cut it open with a Dremel tool.

01134 Alarm horn no signal-img_4756-jpg

Mine was as described by h100vw. The Ni-MH battery had leaked and corroded a lot of the circuit board.

01134 Alarm horn no signal-img_4757-jpg

01134 Alarm horn no signal-img_4758-jpg

The captive nuts will make it easy to reattach the bracket.
    Last edited by 3C4M Guy; 24-07-2021 at 10:26 PM.
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag
    There is some great info in this thread. I’ve had the same 01134 code for the last six months and the alarm siren has started going off randomly. It went off three times last night so it’s getting worse and the neighbours will probably want to kill me soon. Would this battery leakage issue be likely to cause my issue? Can I just disconnect the siren without causing issues? It’s also the higher spec alarm with the switch on the b pillar if this makes any difference.
    Thanks!

Users Country Flag
    Yeah just disconnect it. The battery inside will go flat soon and stop sounding.

Users Country Flag

Thanks. I’ll do that.