Thread: mk1 76 2 door

Users Country Flag

SOLD mk1 76 2 door

Hello all

I have made the difficult decision to sell my 1976 mk1 2 door

I've tried to give as much info as possible below, so this post is little long, but hopefully it covers it all.

The lowdown:

• 2 door 1976 Mk1 Golf LS (disregard the GLS badge)
    • Manual
    • Original paint; harbour blue
    • Original kilometres: approx. 115,000km
    • Located in Clayfield, Brisbane

I have owned the car for last 8+ years, and had grand plans. But I uncovered some proper rust in the passenger floor pan and fire wall which put things on hold. I have been meaning to get rust repaired properly, but with a new bub I can't justify the expense and need to space.

Despite the rust, I think this would still be a good project for someone with welding skills or prepared to repair properly.

Modifications:
    The car has a few light mods.

• 32/36 DGAV weber carburettor (rebuilt about 8000 km ago)
    • Coilover suspension (hot tuning)
    • 15x6 steel wheels (from a Yaris I think)
    • Refurbished dashboard with no cracks
    • Refurbished Mk3 rear drums
    • Cross-hair headlights
    • Upgraded, slightly bigger, radiator (only been in for about 1000km)

Other info:
    The car currently has standard Qld registration but will be sold without rego as it won't pass a safety inspection. I still use the car as a second car when the wife is using the mkV and it runs pretty well. The weber's water choke is bypassed so it takes a min or two to warm up. It sits pretty low and ride is firm.

The interior is overall really good, except headlining needs attention. I currently have the centre console out. Dash has been reconditioned and has no cracks. The front seats are from a four door and don't have the lever to flick them forward, however there is a work-around, with a chain at the back of the seats which you can pull up to flick them forward.

The car had a major brake overhaul in 2014 with mk3 drums fitted, brake booster rebuilt and new master cylinder. The car hasn't been driven much in last few months and brakes feel like they could do with a bleed.

The car does have a ding in the passenger corner of the front apron, just behind the bumper. See photos. There are also a few hail dings in the roof.

The car leaks water via the windshield into the passenger foot well, hence the rust. Front and rear window seals are currently missing the trim joint and also letting in water. During my ownership I done my best to keep the car dry and limit further rust, and the car has either been garaged or under a car cover.

The fuse box is a bit warped, probably due to moisture, which results in the occasional electrical gremlin. Most of the electrics are working OK, except wipers only have one speed and they don't park themselves, and fuel gauge is not working (might be sender rather than the fuse box).

I have a bunch of spares I have collected over the years which I can include in the sale or will consider selling separately. Local pickup definitely preferred. I will probably advertise these separately at some point. I haven't got photos of the spares at this stage.

Spares list:

• Mk1 1.6 engine with carb head and five speed 02o gearbox ($300)
    • Custom tuned length 4 into 1 extractors ($400)
    • Koni Sport (yellow) fronts and Classic (red) rears and Eibach springs for mk1 ($440)
    • GTi steering wheel ($250)
    • Full gasket kit including head gasket and stem seals ($50)
    • Brand new sump and sump gasket ($50)
    • Brand new, boxed mk1 drive shafts, LHS and RHS ($170 both)
    • 2 inch exhaust ($50)
    • Brand new front windshield seal ($50)
    • Spare rust-free left front quarter panel ($25)
    • Front sway bar ($50)
    • Spare rear bumper ($50)

Price:

• $4500 with all spares
    • $3500 for car only

Shoot me a PM or email choicebroant at hotmail dot com if interested.

Full album of photos here: mk1 - Album on Imgur

Last edited by funkamedic; 04-09-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Deposit taken. Once sale has been finalised I will post remaining parts for sale in the Parts for Sale section.

How did you go?
    Sold?

Sorry, been meaning to update: SOLD. Will get parts up soon.

Bugger. Hadn't checked the site in a while. Sure enough, something I want pops up in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by pwnd View Post
    Bugger. Hadn't checked the site in a while. Sure enough, something I want pops up in that time.
    i know the feeling. sorry mate : (