Thread: Sanding tools?

Users Country Flag

Sanding tools?

Well guys i'm basically fed up with hand sanding my whole car...wondering what electric or air tools i could buy to get the job done faster and for it to still look fantastic?

belt, orbital? and what grit paper to use.

Cheers guys
    Last edited by thestu; 05-11-2008 at 11:51 AM.

How much do you want to spend? and how much sanding are you doing/what purpose is it for (ie respray, defect removal, detailing etc?)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMS_Dan View Post
    How much do you want to spend? and how much sanding are you doing/what purpose is it for (ie respray, defect removal, detailing etc?)
    um up to about $70...i don't really wanna spend to much and having an air tool would be good.

i wanna prep it for final paint job, so feather edging and all. but i want to be able to put different discs or size paper on there so i can disc off bog as well

Users Country Flag
    Orbital sanders rock! You will almost certainly spend several times the origanl outlay of the sander on sanding pads but they are definately a head above conventional sanding. You'll also get a more consistent finish with an orbital but it takes a bit of practice to get it right, but it does remove alot of the initial hard work of sanding.

Users Country Flag
    For that budget just buy the cheapest 1/3 sheet orbital sander you can from Bunnings and run it 'till it dies. Then buy another one.

Use 80 grit freecut for shaping bog and removing paint. Work your way up to 320 free cut and spray your primer surfacer over that. Wet sand the primer by hand starting with 800 wet & dry. Working up to 1200 wet & dry.

FYI Freecut is the white sandpaper, it doesn't clog up like the normal stuff you'd use on furniture. Wet and dry is dark grey and is as you'd expect waterproof.

Unless you already have a massive compressor I wouldn't bother with the air tools. If you do a random orbital sander is pretty versatile. You can also use air sanders for wet sanding. (Electric sanders don't like being dipped in the bucket of water much.)

Happy sanding!

Pete
    79 MK1 Golf Wreck to Race / 79 MK1 Golf The Red Thread / 76 MK1 Golf Kamei Race Car
    7? MK1 Caddy
    79 B1 Passat Dasher Project
    12 Amarok

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf Houso View Post
    Orbital sanders rock! You will almost certainly spend several times the origanl outlay of the sander on sanding pads but they are definately a head above conventional sanding. You'll also get a more consistent finish with an orbital but it takes a bit of practice to get it right, but it does remove a lot of the initial hard work of sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jones View Post
    For that budget just buy the cheapest 1/3 sheet orbital sander you can from Bunnings and run it 'till it dies. Then buy another one.

Use 80 grit freecut for shaping bog and removing paint. Work your way up to 320 free cut and spray your primer surfacer over that. Wet sand the primer by hand starting with 800 wet & dry. Working up to 1200 wet & dry.

FYI Freecut is the white sandpaper, it doesn't clog up like the normal stuff you'd use on furniture. Wet and dry is dark grey and is as you'd expect waterproof.

Unless you already have a massive compressor I wouldn't bother with the air tools. If you do a random orbital sander is pretty versatile. You can also use air sanders for wet sanding. (Electric sanders don't like being dipped in the bucket of water much.)

Happy sanding!

Pete
    ok so you mean like a rectangle shaped electric sander and it goes in random orbit? i don't wanna go buy the wrong thing... i was initialy thinking on of the ones that spins in circles? but a random orbital sander is better yes?

Users Country Flag
    Get the one with the "triangular" shaped head so you can get into nooks and crannies as well as use it to sand an edge, much easier to get into places with.

Users Country Flag
    Ozito tools FTW!

And a twelve month warranty means that if you manage to burn it out you get a new one

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Sander

As the boy's have said, an "orbital" will remove the material at a faster rate, saving you time ...

I purchased one of these several months ago, not cheap by any means but i have no air in the workshop. Bonus with this machine is you can use the larger 6 mm orbit to remove more material than the smaller 3 mm orbit.

http://www.metabo.com.au/Product-cat...c90cd5b.0.html

For the budget, you prob wont get any better than the 1/3 sheet sander as Pete has mentioned. unless you can find a rotary orbital second hand.

Basically sanding sucks, faster you get it done, the faster you can get onto the good ****z...
    Lots of MK 1 Scirocco's...

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor car ??

Cheers,
    Grant...

Yeah i was going to suggest the Festool rotex. I have one them. They are awesome!! It has the bonus of being a forced rotation, random orbital and a polisher. It will sand a car SO FAST!

Slightly above budget at $800 though lol