Definitive Car

Thread: Sagging bonnet lining easy fix

Users Country Flag

Sagging bonnet lining easy fix

I tried searching for this issue on here but didn’t find anything. The bonnet lining on my Mk 6 GTI sags because the tabs don’t got into the slots very well anymore and it’s annoying to see this each time I open the bonnet. Somewhere on the net I found some pics of a cool fix so I did something similar myself. It involved cutting some relatively hard plastic (I used an empty engine oil container) into a certain shape to act as clips to hold those tabs. So far so good, even when the engine bay is warm. See pictures for an idea of what I did and the shape/dimensions of the clips. I could have done them a little neater but they do the trick and are relatively unobtrusive.
    Sagging bonnet lining easy fix-2020-04-10-09-56-22-jpgSagging bonnet lining easy fix-2020-04-10-09-53-13-jpgSagging bonnet lining easy fix-2020-04-10-10-08-30-jpgSagging bonnet lining easy fix-2020-04-10-14-43-59-jpgSagging bonnet lining easy fix-2020-04-10-10-08-51-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Good thinking - it does the job. I ended up removing the one in my Mk6 GTI as it was just so saggy and floppy it was embarrassing. I think once they start getting wet/moist they loose their stiffness and start sagging.

The one of the firewall ends up doing the same thing after a while - i ended up replacing that one.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Good thinking - it does the job. I ended up removing the one in my Mk6 GTI as it was just so saggy and floppy it was embarrassing. I think once they start getting wet/moist they loose their stiffness and start sagging.

The one of the firewall ends up doing the same thing after a while - i ended up replacing that one.
    Cheers mate. I thought about removing it but it's not terrible yet. Haven't noticed any issue with the one on the firewall yet, thankfully.

Users Country Flag

Thanks to: Jaffs for the idea from: https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f22/sagging-bonnet-lining-easy-fix-129949.html

Here is my video of this FIX, hope will help anyone with the same issues with the car bonnet insulation falling off.