Definitive Car

Thread: Removing foriegn paint specks off bodywork

Users Country Flag

Removing foriegn paint specks off bodywork

Hi guys.

I need some help.

One nice sunny day I had left my car parked in the driveway as normal. The neighbor beside me was working on his POS $700 camper. I left for work only to come back home in the evening to have the neighbor knock on my door to tell me that one of his $2 pressure pack spray paint cans exploded in the sun, spraying white specks of paint all over my SAAB. He tells me he washed the car after he noticed it happened. Unfortunately it was a half arsed job and theres still white paint specs everwhere.

Is there any safe way of removing these specks? I believe these particular cheap pressure packs are water based but not 100% certain. The car is metallic silver with clearcoat. It has also found its way onto black plastic bumper trims

Thanks for help guys
    2000 SAAB 9-5 Aero - Stage 2. 275hp 420Nm, Brew City Boost
    1986 SAAB 900 Turbo 16 S

Users Country Flag
    Try a clay bar Did it for me when overspray got all over a white Cruiser If uncomfortable doing it yourself take it to a car painter and make him pay for it.
    The guy who did it to mine paid for it to be done about $200 I believe Teach him to spray paint yellow 15m away from a row of parked cars.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 17-07-2014 at 03:40 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Clay bar as above would be my guess

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Cool. Thanks guys. Will get a clay bar tomorrow and have a go at removing the paint.

As for him paying, well...lets just say he has no interest in working and plays the system. Hes not there anymore anyway. But before he left he did pull out his cheap cut + polish and offered to have a go himself. I told him he already did enough. Suprised he didnt pull out the steel wool..
    2000 SAAB 9-5 Aero - Stage 2. 275hp 420Nm, Brew City Boost
    1986 SAAB 900 Turbo 16 S

second the clay bar.

At my workplace, we commonly spraypaint stuff at the workshop roller door. Theres only 2 people in the vicinity that give a damn about their cars (me and another guy who parks a long way away), and my car is not often parked there anyway, however even if ots only been parked there for 7-10 days in a 6 month period, it will have paint on it (I figured this out when I discovered claybars and so now give my cars a 'light' claying about every 6 months).

I have had a lot of success using claybars to remove overspray and other chemical fallout (welding fumes etc). I would mostly advise to do it sooner than later because the less time the paint is on there the softer it will be.

A lot of people poo poo anything you can buy at supercheap, but I have had perfectly adequate results with meguires brand clay bar kits. They seem good value for money.

I always do a polish/wax after claying or just wax if lazy.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T