Definitive Car

Thread: Removing diff oil odor!

Removing diff oil odor!

Hey all,

While using my VW Caddy the other week to transport parts around, an open diff managed to tip over, spilling the contents of rich smelling oil all over the cargo area of the Caddy.

I immediately cleaned up the mess when I got home. Followed by a degrease, multiple pressure cleans on the Matt and a combination of odor eliminaters.

However, a few weeks on, I'm still greeted by the punch of diff oil every time I enter the car! I'm getting desperate and need to find a way to rid it!!!

Has anyone got tips or tricks to remove tough odors? I'm guessing the oil is still minutly sticking to the surfaces, should I look at taking it to someone who can give it a heavy duty steam clean?

Let me know what you've got, I'm desperate!

Drew.
    2011 TDI Caddy- AirRex x AccuAir setup.

Users Country Flag
    A cheap thing to try would be to use some "kitty litter". Put some in a large container with a good open area and then leave it there for a while. But first remove and replace anything that you can, although only replace it after all the vapours have been removed from everything else, otherwise all you will be doing is contaminating the new clean bits once again.

The problem is that while you have had the spill in the cargo area, the vapours will have made their way into anything that will absorb them like the seats (covers and foam lining), roof lining, trims, carpets, any leather, the ventilation system, air conditioning unit, pollen filter, etc. It can be quite difficult to get the smell out.
    --

Users Country Flag

Just airing it out will help too. If you park in a garage, leave the windows all the way down overnight. Even leave the tailgate open if it won't drain your battery.
    If you don't have a garage, just leave them open as much as possible through the day, while doing your rounds or parked at work etc