Definitive Car

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pomponazzi 880xx paint protection

Users Country Flag

Pomponazzi 880xx paint protection

Does anyone have experience with this product?
    I am considering getting this done when my new car arrives same cost as the ripoff dealers were trying to sting me😒
    The looks are fantastic esp on a bright colour(i am getting tornado red)
    Seems to be better than opticoat pro which i was previously leaning towards thicker coating 8 to 20 microns vs 3ish for opticoat

Users Country Flag
    Hey Kachingg, there's a detailer on the southside of Brisbane that offers this coating, it does seem to get favourable reviews:

Pomponazzi Crystal Coating review
    BMW Z4 (2019)
    Audi TT quattro (2015), s-line in Nano Grey - sold

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Scratchy

I am in Melbourne eastern suburbs and have 2 detailers picked out for the 880xx,i read the same review you did also the fact that they coat the whole car, windows ,windscreen,mags,and the black cladding i will have on my alltrack sealed the deal will wait till i get a firm delivery date then book in 4 weeks out
    I looked at a you tube vid with a korean guy hitting the paintwork of a coated car with the but end of a plastic ciggy lighter quite hard and many times then just wiping the marks off with a microfiber towel really vry imressed
    and to think the dealer was offering me his crappy protection coating and interior protection for 2k... same price as the 880xx

Funny story i was at a customers on wednesday who details/coats for toyota had a chat he said pfft 2k come to me i will do it for $350!!!
    What a mark up anybody reading pls dont use dealer rubbish also its the glass coat from motorcare he said only lasts 2 years and shines but does not really protect against anything like bird poo and sap ect

Users Country Flag
    yeah I must say I am tempted to get it done myself here, it does look quite promising.
    The dealers are so aggressive with their push on their crappy paint protection, I had the Audi dealer tell me that I should really get it - the car was already 18 months old with some swirls in the paint. Why would I want to put a protection layer over the top of that? It needs a bit of correction first and I don't believe they do that beforehand.
    BMW Z4 (2019)

I am sure that the dealers do not do any paint correction at all just spray and wipe.....

While with a new car it usually takes 6 or so hrs of paint correction before they will start coating your car!

Tho i think scratchy that it might cost a bit more for a car that has been driven a bit as more correction work will need to be done
    your detailer will prob want a good look before he gives you a firm price, but you are a man who is into his car as much as i am its a vry worthwhile investment 5 to 7 years of good protection and great looks mmm those great looks...
    It looks even better to me than freshly waxed cars so if you can handle/justify the cost yeah

Users Country Flag
    $2k!!! That's expensive for the application of a silica coating that's not overly different to the rest that are available, including the Motorcare coating. Keep in mind that silica coatings are not chemical resistant like the ceramic polymer Opti-Coat. Not sure which Opti-Coat dealer you spoke to, but Opti-Coat can be applied to wheels and glass (even the interior). Coating the black plastic coating is pointless, there isn't a coating available that has any durability on plastic. You could have your paint, glass and wheels coated in Opti-Coat Pro or a Silica coating that will be just as good as Pomponazzi for a lot less than what you have been quoted
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 28-05-2017 at 07:15 PM.
    08 Golf GTI - SOLD

Hey Wolfgang

Yup $2k is a lot thats what the dealers were going to charge me so i have it in my budget for 2k
    I know opticoat is less expensive and a good product if i had the usual colour i.e the boring ones white/grey/black/silver and shades thereof i would go opticoat but from my research the pomponazzi gives a superior look to bright paint like my tornado red. I have looked extensively at lots of photos on line and read reviews even went down to see pomponazzi coated cars today
    looked at opticoat cars on last wednesday i cant say about long term wear tho everything i have seen seems to be about equal with proper care,tho both places were trumpeting their product and rubbishing the other one.... (oh for a unbiased review and long term test)
    But as i was saying for a bright paint like mine pomponazzi makes the paintwork pop more where i found opticoat duller still nice but not as wow factor as the pomponazzi also to the touch again just a subjective my feel only test the pomponazzi coat was slicker feeling(to touch opticoat was smooth like a baby bum but pomponazzi was real slick no friction a noticeable to me difference ) and looked deeper not the thickness of the coating who can tell by eye microns? but just looking into the paintwork i found opticoat was like a mirror vry nice but looking into pomponazzi was like looking into the paint cant explain it fully but looked deeper as i said esp on bright paintwork
    with the normal dull colours there was not that much diff tbh
    So with that said i am going for pomponazzi for my car if i had other paint would maybe be a diff story but thats the way i have chosen to go

Users Country Flag
    great stuff, interested to see the photos when it's done + your thoughts on the whole process
    BMW Z4 (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kachingg View Post
    Thanks Scratchy

I am in Melbourne eastern suburbs and have 2 detailers picked out for the 880xx,i read the same review you did also the fact that they coat the whole car, windows ,windscreen,mags,and the black cladding i will have on my alltrack sealed the deal will wait till i get a firm delivery date then book in 4 weeks out
    I have seen a complaint where a windscreen was coated to allow the water to be shed while driving and because the water went away so quickly the auto wipers did not work. I guess the area over the sensor needs to be masked off if it is done.

Ha thanks Ozsko

I had not thought of that will have a chat when i book it in
    Seems to be a case of it working to well

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast