Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opticoat V Ceramic Pro - VIC

Users Country Flag

Opticoat V Ceramic Pro - VIC

Hi all,

Researching paint protection for new (and first) VW.

Considering Opticoat or Ceramic Pro... anyone used both on different cars and have a preference? Does anyone know of important differences?

Also, many providers offer 'wheel, glass and interior' packages - are these worth getting?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Both of these coatings are quite a different to each other in composition. Opti-Coat is a ceramic polymer coating while Ceramic Pro, like many other coatings (C.Quartz, 22PLE, Modesta etc) is a glass based coating. Ceramic polymer coatings, such as Opti-Coat, are not prone to attack from acids and contaminants whereas glass based coatings are and will degrade over time due to their chemical make-up. Glass coatings contain silica, which helps enhance surface gloss, however, over time the silica in glass coatings leech out as well as any artificial gloss along with it. Keep in mind any application of Opticoat can only be carried out by a registered Opticoat dealer and includes at minimum a single stage of polishing and for new cars (less than 12 months old) a 7 year nation wide warranty.

Considering how dusty VW brake pads are, for the sake of your sanity have the wheels coated, it will make your life so much easier cleaning the copious amounts of brake dust off the wheels. Applying protection to the interior will prevent dirt from becoming embedded and minimise the need for deep cleaning, a quick wipe over with a damp cloth is usually enough. Also gives you a safeguard against accidental spillages and kid related mess. Coating the exterior of the windows improves visibility in wet weather.

Full disclosure: I am a detailer employed by Opticoat.
    08 Golf GTI - SOLD

good info there wolfy

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    Both of these coatings are quite a different to each other in composition. Opti-Coat is a ceramic polymer coating while Ceramic Pro, like many other coatings (C.Quartz, 22PLE, Modesta etc) is a glass based coating. Ceramic polymer coatings, such as Opti-Coat, are not prone to attack from acids and contaminants whereas glass based coatings are and will degrade over time due to their chemical make-up. Glass coatings contain silica, which helps enhance surface gloss, however, over time the silica in glass coatings leech out as well as any artificial gloss along with it. Keep in mind any application of Opticoat can only be carried out by a registered Opticoat dealer and includes at minimum a single stage of polishing and for new cars (less than 12 months old) a 7 year nation wide warranty.

Considering how dusty VW brake pads are, for the sake of your sanity have the wheels coated, it will make your life so much easier cleaning the copious amounts of brake dust off the wheels. Applying protection to the interior will prevent dirt from becoming embedded and minimise the need for deep cleaning, a quick wipe over with a damp cloth is usually enough. Also gives you a safeguard against accidental spillages and kid related mess. Coating the exterior of the windows improves visibility in wet weather.

Full disclosure: I am a detailer employed by Opticoat.
    Thank you Wolfgang, terrific info. I understand Google at my disposal, however was keen for a forum member's opinion. Community seems split on a single preference, however a greater number of people prefer Opticoat. Will most likely settle with this option. My understanding is Opticoat also has a similar 'shelf life' though?

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by vwnc View Post
    Thank you Wolfgang, terrific info. I understand Google at my disposal, however was keen for a forum member's opinion. Community seems split on a single preference, however a greater number of people prefer Opticoat. Will most likely settle with this option. My understanding is Opticoat also has a similar 'shelf life' though?

Cheers
    Are you referring to Opticoat Gloss Coat or Opticoat Pro?

Either way, you will have a hard time telling the difference in appearance between the different coatings available. How the car is prepared is the key.
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 19-02-2017 at 03:18 PM.
    08 Golf GTI - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    Are you referring to Opticoat Gloss Coat or Opticoat Pro?

Either way, you will have a hard time telling the difference in appearance between the different coatings available. How the car is prepared is the key.
    hi wolfgang, with regards to warranty, does the car have to go through periodic inspections??? and or re applications for the 7 year coating warranty. what does the warranty exactly "cover" ?

Quote Originally Posted by raygti View Post
    hi wolfgang, with regards to warranty, does the car have to go through periodic inspections??? and or re applications for the 7 year coating warranty. what does the warranty exactly "cover" ?
    I know its a lot of fine print but here you are

Opti-Coat Warranty Terms

Quote Originally Posted by vwnc View Post
    Hi all,

Researching paint protection for new (and first) VW.

Considering Opticoat or Ceramic Pro... anyone used both on different cars and have a preference? Does anyone know of important differences?

Also, many providers offer 'wheel, glass and interior' packages - are these worth getting?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
    Hi there- I知 in the same boat now. What did you end up going with? Thoughts after the passage of some time?

I知 planning to buy a new Indium Grey Tiguan shortly. I知 not particularly looking for a glossy finish, I知 really just after great protection as I will generally be parking outside on a quite busy road and often under a tree. I am also unlikely to wash/wax regularly to maintain the clean very well. Grateful for any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dptiggie View Post
    Hi there- I’m in the same boat now. What did you end up going with? Thoughts after the passage of some time?

I’m planning to buy a new Indium Grey Tiguan shortly. I’m not particularly looking for a glossy finish, I’m really just after great protection as I will generally be parking outside on a quite busy road and often under a tree. I am also unlikely to wash/wax regularly to maintain the clean very well. Grateful for any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Check the pomponazzi thread in this section eyes 24 had his grey tig done with pomp came up a treat he has posted picks about page 8 i think
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Quote Originally Posted by Kachingg View Post
    Check the pomponazzi thread in this section eyes 24 had his grey tig done with pomp came up a treat he has posted picks about page 8 i think
    Thanks. Saw that, agree the look is great.

I知 keen though to hear how that sort of protection (and others) has gone after the passage of time, from someone who stores the car like I will need to - out on a busy road with the birds, trees, grime and dust. Wondering how it holds up in those conditions. And wondering if it would only hold up over time if regularly cleaning and washing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast