Definitive Car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get that ultra gloss professional finish?

Users Country Flag

How to get that ultra gloss professional finish?

Hi guys

Im in need of some general detailing/ correct washing method advice

I recently bought a black car, which is an R36 passat so quite hard paint.

When i bought it was shady so i couldnt see any swirl marks, but it seems as though every time i was it very fine "cobwebs" (not swirls) become more an more prominent. Im not talking buffing swirls, and i wipe in long straight lines so i dont know how it's happening. They are more like if cob webbs were to fall on the car rather than swirls. In the shade its looking immaculate but in the sun you can see it pretty easily.

Since i bought this car i moved from your standard amoral products to top of the line or should i say expensive generally available Maguiars products. Premium shampoo and sponges etc. Always with a foam pre rinse prior to washing as well. But again i dont know if im making it worse or im just noticing the swirls more.

I did alot of research into Maguiars swirlx then i went to buy it, i found its not generally available in Australia. Only scratchx is, which i think will be too abrasive. Not wanting to wait i end up buying Maguiars ultra polish for dark cars and their ultimate liquid wax. Prior to applying these i clay bared. I could not see alot of difference after using the polish, only after applying the wax could i see a difference, and this was minimal, i think i removed only about 30% of what i wanted. I done this all by hand which im happy to do. I have a orbital polisher but wasn't willing to risk any more damage.

Other then the light cobwebs , i have one chemical stain from bird p' / tree sap. Same as before i only managed to get a little bit of this out

Im happy to pay for premium products and DA polishers etc, but only if they work. Can anyone recommend anything that will help my situation to get the paint to that ultra shine professional finish?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Im trying to upload an image, but its never worked for me, below is a link to my google drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o...w?usp=drivesdk

if it worked you can see when its in the shade, its like glass, but when its in the sun its a different story

you can just make it out if you look above the front door handle.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o...w?usp=drivesdk
    Last edited by ZR36; 06-07-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Buy yourself a DA polisher. The Rockwell available from Supercheap is exactly that - Supercheap but will do the job way better than polishing by hand. If you get one on sale they are only $80.00.

Or get a more expensive unit if you want. Either way machine polishing will make a world of difference.

Both Ultimate polish and wax will work well and although not the best products available, now that you have them you may as well use them.

Don't forget you will need pads too. The pad that comes with the Rockwell is ok for spreading wax but rubbish for polishing.

Waxit, Zas, Carecarproducts and the chemical Guys all have online stores and can sell you anything you need.

If using the Rockwell I would buy a 5 inch backing plate and use 5.5inch Lake Country CCS pads. That's the combination I use on my Caddy.

Check out Car Detailing Forum & Community Australia - Detail Paradise for a wealth of information.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Is this the recommended tool from SCA ?
    http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...00-Watt/135285
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

No that's a rotary and not really recommend for a novice.

This is the Dual Action polisher I was referring to
    Rockwell ShopSeries Car Polisher - Multi-Function, 180mm, 600 Watt - Supercheap Auto

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Horace01; 07-07-2017 at 06:30 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    It sounds like the car had a glaze on it when you purchased it, the more you wash the car, the more the fillers are getting washed out. Pretty standard practice when selling a car.

If you are wanting to correct your paint properly, you can start out with DAS6 (or similar). This kit will get the finish you are after and it 100% safe. You won't leave buffer trails or burn any edges...

Car Care Products /
    Car Care Products /
    Car Accessories /
    Buffing Machines

/ RO Polisher DAS6 Kit Plus

Only this method will remove the defects you describe. Buying off the shelf products/polishes will "mask" defects instead of removing them. They are full of fillers.

Wash the car thoroughly, with all purpose cleaner or dish soap (pre-correction only)
    Decontaminate the paint (clay bar)
    Use the DA polisher to remove defects - you will use a lot of the cutting compound to remove the defects. The next stages are enhancing the finish
    Finish with a good sealant or wax (or glass coating if you are feeling game)
    | 2016 VW Golf R 7 | DSG | Pure White | Leather | Sunroof | Driver Assist | JB4 |
    | 2003 VW Golf SE | Auto | Silver | Sunroof |
    | 2010 VW Golf R 6 | Manual | Leather | ACC | 19s | Black Pack | GIAC Stage 2+ |

Users Country Flag

How to get that ultra gloss professional finish?

^ i second what CraigR is saying. Each time you wash it the fillers (which help smooth out the paint and hide swirls) from its last coat of polish/wax are being washed off and therefore the swirls are becoming more and more prominent. Its highly likely that the previous owner polished / waxed the car prior to selling it to make it look better.

I live in Newcastle and have detailed many many cars in my life (i used to be a detailer) and it sounds like your car needs a good multi stage buff to remove the swirls (needs a good quality polish to cut back that hard VW paint) and then a few layers of sealant to make that paintwork shine. I use Menzerna polishes and the DAS 6 Pro polisher which i buy from Car Care Products.

I would be happy to detail the exterior for you if you want and get it looking its absolute best, but you would need to leave the car with me for a full day and of course we would need to work out a price for my labour and products used.

Below is a pic of my Lexus which i just purchased about a month ago. Paintwork was pretty horrible on this when i got it (full of swirls and lots of scratches etc). After about 15hrs of polishing it now looks like this:

Last edited by Lucas_R; 26-07-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

That looks great .. detailing is not for the faint hearted and that's 15 hours of hard labour. IS F looking good !

The burnouts aren't bad either
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    Detailing just requires patience and good technique. If you have neither, I'd pay someone to do it for you. All you have to do is wash the car correctly, using 2 or 3 buckets and a good quality wash mitt. Drying the car is where a lot of the damage is done, so a microfibre drying towel and a spray wax would be a good way to start.

He is a ute I detailed for summernats earlier on in the year. Years of car wash cafe's, but all corrected with a dual action polisher, albeit with rupes bigfoot polishers and HD compounds, but the DAS6 will definitely get the job done.

How to get that ultra gloss professional finish?-img_7365-jpg How to get that ultra gloss professional finish?-img_7370-jpg
    How to get that ultra gloss professional finish?-img_7459-jpg How to get that ultra gloss professional finish?-1-jpg
    | 2016 VW Golf R 7 | DSG | Pure White | Leather | Sunroof | Driver Assist | JB4 |
    | 2003 VW Golf SE | Auto | Silver | Sunroof |
    | 2010 VW Golf R 6 | Manual | Leather | ACC | 19s | Black Pack | GIAC Stage 2+ |

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
    That looks great .. detailing is not for the faint hearted and that's 15 hours of hard labour. IS F looking good !

The burnouts aren't bad either
    Thanks Tuan. Yes lots of time was spent getting the paint looking like that (crappy iphone pics sorry). The car looks fantastic in the sun now.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigR View Post
    Detailing just requires patience and good technique. If you have neither, I'd pay someone to do it for you. All you have to do is wash the car correctly, using 2 or 3 buckets and a good quality wash mitt. Drying the car is where a lot of the damage is done, so a microfibre drying towel and a spray wax would be a good way to start.

He is a ute I detailed for summernats earlier on in the year. Years of car wash cafe's, but all corrected with a dual action polisher, albeit with rupes bigfoot polishers and HD compounds, but the DAS6 will definitely get the job done.
    Excellent result on that ute - paint looks amazing. I always take the "after" shots but always forget to take the "before" shots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast