Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to apply touch-up paint

Users Country Flag

How to apply touch-up paint

Hi Guys,

I got a sizeable stone chip on the bonnet of my Polo, I am going to buy some touch-up paint from the dealer. What is the best way to apply it? Do I have to let it set? Any tips?

Thanks
    2020 VW Golf R

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
    Hi Guys,

I got a sizeable stone chip on the bonnet of my Polo, I am going to buy some touch-up paint from the dealer. What is the best way to apply it? Do I have to let it set? Any tips?

Thanks
    Never had to use it on my own car but on other peoples a toothpick works well and once wet sanded you generally can't tell the difference.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Wet sanded?
    2020 VW Golf R

Hey Allegiance, I noticed in your sig it says Deep Black, do you mean deep black pearl? If you do, I've tried buying touch up paint for my Jetta to touch up a few stone chips and a few slight dings, but was told that they unfortunately dont sell touch up paint for Deep Black Pearl.
    BLACK 2.0 FSI Jetta -
    Transforms - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgjFFxjkZlQ

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I already spoke to a dealer, who checked my VIN and had the correct paint in stock. It is the Deep Black Pearl though.... I suppose I will see on Saturday.
    2020 VW Golf R

well that sucks that they lied straight to my face.. o well..

either way, let us know you go!
    BLACK 2.0 FSI Jetta -
    Transforms - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgjFFxjkZlQ

Users Country Flag
    Yeah, you'll need a wet sand/polish... I had a stone chip, right above the bloody VW symbol. Got the touch up paint, it's the right colour... but so far, I have just clayed it, which meant it was flat, but you can still notice slightly when you look close. I did ask someone who knows about these things and they said to get it done professionally would be about $100 or so.

Users Country Flag
    Because the touch up paint will leave a higher point than the rest of your paint, hence you see it fairly easily. Using a toothpick allows you to apply only what's needed instead of a massive amount with a brush but there's still some further work required if you don't want someone to notice it.

Wet sanding is fairly easy, get some wet/dry from an automotive shop or go ask a panel shop for some, leave it in a bucket of water for a while to soak and using a block wrap the wet/dry around it and away you go remembering you want the touch up paint area to be flat with the other paint so the more you rub into the existing paint on the car the more work you will have to do with a rotary to correct it afterwards, so take it easy, go slow, keep checking it and keep dipping the wet/dry in water.

Afterwards you will need to go over it with a rotary or a random orbital polisher if you have lots of time to waste it will take a long time to get anything out if using an random orbital polisher. If you're not confident in doing this step take it to someone that is but if this processes is done correctly it's pretty hard to tell there was a stone chip there in the first place.

What is the go with the VW touch up paint bottles? Tried to order some and the parts department are saying that Volkswagen have placed a stop on selling them.
    Looks like i will have to try Dr Colorchip.

How to apply touch-up paint-touch-up-paint-jpg
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc R, Audi Q5
    Past VWs- T-Roc R-Line, Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper Dog View Post
    What is the go with the VW touch up paint bottles? Tried to order some and the parts department are saying that Volkswagen have placed a stop on selling them.
    Looks like i will have to try Dr Colorchip.

How to apply touch-up paint-touch-up-paint-jpg
    Just got mine in yesterday. Maybe call around to other dealers. Didn’t have any instructions included. Searching to see how easy it is to get done this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 MY18 R 7.5 Wolfsburg | Blue| Sunroof | Finally here! And it's goddam goood!
    2010 Mazda 6 | Luxury Sports | White : Sold
    2009 | 335i | Convertible | Grey : Sold
    2006 Jetta TSI DSG | Highline | Silver : Sold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast