Definitive Car

Thread: Help Please - Towbar Torque Specs Golf Mk5 - VGA 803 921 G504

Help Please - Towbar Torque Specs Golf Mk5 - VGA 803 921 G504

Hi. I have a VW OEM towbar (VGA 803 921 G504 ) for my Mk5 Golf.

What is the torque nm to fasten this towbar please? It uses M12 hex bolts, but I'm not after torque specs for M12 8.8 hex bolts (which can run very high). Bolt length I have 40mm and 25mm to choose from. 25mm bolts reach to nut limit (with spring washer and flat washer bolt side) but don't extend further.

The towbar is fastened in four places. From Bunnings i got 8.8 high tensile M12 Hex Bolts, 12mm 8.8 high tensile washers (pinnacle brand) and zenith brand zinc plated spring washes - also from bunnings (don't appear high tensile).

I have searched online for the torque specs of tht 4 M12 Hex bolts, but find too many different torque specs for different towbars & M10 hex bolts. to this one.

I don't want to over or under torsion the bolts/washers/spring washers, nuts, bar and golf frame. Thank you

Users Country Flag
    General method was to tighten them with a rattle gun where possible, to a couple of ugga-duggas.

Everywhere else, as tight as you could get them with a 3/8 ratchet.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

thanks Umai. I have torqued them to 90nm. I read different places don't use the zinc spring washers, but just flat high tensile ones. i have both. Just hate to have something happen with a loaded trailer....such as spring washers cracking, nuts/bolts loosing.

Users Country Flag
    Spring washers is what they use in the kits.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

if 90nm is good with this part on this car. then i'll put the rest back together. surprised i could not locate anything for this towbar online re: torque settings.

I wonder if you have any tips on towing electrics? I made a post, but no bites yet. I have read the threads on this, but advice is all over the place. cheers
    Last edited by Bushranger; 13-03-2018 at 06:50 PM.