Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fender rolling

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I'll take a pic soon. I'm currently cutting the rears, but the fronts were rolled nicely.

Wink

to roll your guards using a proper guard roller will save you from cracking your paint, warping your guards and doing any unnecessary damage to your paint and guards in general.

you should have a heat gun to heat your paint up when you do this, use a proper g-roller when you do and heat the paint up then start rolling. then adjust and do the same steps again, and continue there until you have the rolled effect you want.

IF you have done it correctly you could almost pinch it properly and have not cracked any paint what so ever. If you haven't you will find flaking paint and cracks (is advised you sand it off and repaint it with same colour touchup paint by paintbrush or black paint if not visible on outter body)

(i've done enough, and yes have experience with it.... trust me! do it right!)

most wheel places will do it for $30-80ea guard these days, make sure they use a heat gun and not rushed but!

hope that sheds more light, and top effort who made their own!
    What’s behind you doesn’t matter..

Thanks for that Pierre. Where did you get your fender roller? I recently gave VG Auto/KC Tools a visit and they actually have a fender roller there for $140!

in the past have also worked at a wheel/tyre place ehehe..

your best bet is to get it done somewhere as you will find yours laying around for god knows how long once you've used it! i sold mine ages ago! shouldnt of, however i didnt end up using it for ages too!

Users Country Flag
    You could do the arch well and just repaint it... thats not the difficult part. I'd go all out if I were you and make some serious spread on those arches, rather than have to worry about flaking paint and in the end you'll just be onsetting more work for yourself in the long run anyway.

Do it once, and do it right, I'd go all the way with the arches...
    Last edited by Golf Houso; 07-12-2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Drunk...

Users Country Flag
    01 Golf GTI
    95 Golf Cab
    67 Type3 Fastback (Kermit)
    62 Type3 Square

The method I ended up using wasn't much better than that... I wouldn't do it to a newer car though.

People do use that method, and well. it works.. at least you get a constant radius happening! ha!

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

one of my friends does guard rolling, if anyone is interested let me know. (with a guard roller) about $30-50 per arch i think he charges..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123