Thread: Cleaning Products

Cleaning Products

Hi all,

i've had the dub for just over a week now and have washed it once just using water and a sponge.

could anybody recommend product(s) for general cleaning, bug removal and heavy grease or grim removal?

i know some products can be abbrasive and i wanna make sure that i use quality cleaning gear.

thanks
    Francis
    '81 Sigma| Sports Steering Wheel| Rust
    '95 Excel| 2.25" Exhaust with Hot Dog muffler
    '09 GOLF GT TSI 1.4| Leather | Sunroof | Tints

Stop washing with a sponge (except the wheels). Get yourself a wool wash mit or a microfibre mit. Keep it clean, trapped impurities will scratch your paint.

I follow this routine:

Hose car, wait 5 mins.

Hose car again.

Wash with car shampoo in warm water if you have it (Armour All suds very well and is gentle enough not to strip wax, happier with it at $7.99 RRP a bottle than some $20 a bottle gear).

Rinse with hose with no nozlle on it to sheet water off.

Dry with Microfibre towel.

Clay car to remove stubborn impurities using clay bar kit (Megs, Mothers, etc - actually I prefer Bowens clay bar as its softer and use Meguiars Quick Detailer as a lubricant for it)

Wash again quickly and dry. Painted surfaces are now glassy and clean. You could stop...

I then add a sealant, apply with applicator pad by hand and buff off with MF cloth.

Then I go for a liquid wax over that and buff off the same.

Then I go for a beer.

Talking

brilliant! thanks kwicks!

i also need to treat the leather any suggestions there?

francis
    '81 Sigma| Sports Steering Wheel| Rust
    '95 Excel| 2.25" Exhaust with Hot Dog muffler
    '09 GOLF GT TSI 1.4| Leather | Sunroof | Tints

Try this site, all the info you will ever need

http://www.finalinspection.com.au/forums/index.php

^^^might be overkill, seems a bit new to the detailing ideal from OP.

Interior I've tried a few products, Meguiars leather protector liquid (greasy and can be patchy, easy to overapply), the foam on the other hand solves most of these issues. Still, its not really claning, just protecting. I find a mix of softly fabric softener and water (about 1:20) on a terry cloth works well for cleaning the leather before protecting it. But don't get it too wet! Probably only needs doing quarterly or less often than that even.

Quote Originally Posted by KWICKS View Post
    ^^^might be overkill, seems a bit new to the detailing ideal from OP.

DA has plenty of detailed instruction (with video) anyone can use
    Last edited by GeorgeG; 05-12-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Users Country Flag

Leather Cleaning

Have found the Johnson's Baby wipes are good for cleaning the leather. They are alcohol free and easy on the leather.

The general procedure is: Get the seats warm, squeeze out any excess liquid from the wipe and clean the leather using 1 wipe per seat (seats shouldn't be in direct sunlight because they get too hot and the cleaning isn't as effective...seat surface seems streaky). Once every couple of months use a Megs gold class leather conditioning wipe.

Have cleaned the seats this way once a fortnight (roughly) for the last 2 years and the leather still looks new.
    Graphite Blue TDI| DSG | Leather | Bi-Xenons | Custom LED inner tails | Black Forest TAI | OSIR Pod & New South Boost Gauge | Bluefin | Projector Fogs | RNS510 | Skoda Bluetooth | Eibach Pro kit Springs| Full LED interior|US GLI paddle shift MFSW|Carbon Vinyl wrapped trims|Colour Coded Votex Body Kit|

Users Country Flag
    i bought some Meguiars leather gel and applied it with a terry towel. it is easy to apply and work in to the surface.....and doesn't leave any streaks. only takes about 10 mins to do the whole car and then i leave it for a while with the doors shut. when i come back....mmmmm....new leather smell and feels soft!

2010 Reflex Silver MK6 Golf GTI
    Sunroof - MDI - Superchip - 19" VMR V710 - Kuhmo Ecsta SPT KU31 - VW Racing Panel Filter

This is my video on how to clean your car.

Featuring new AUDI S3 and MK4 GTI and Super Turbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yponMLIyFcI

For Bugs and tar: Autoglym active insect remover and intensive tar remover
    Wash: Anything that is PH neutral
    Clay kit: Dodo gentle grey
    Leather: Zanio Z10 or Autoglym leather cream

When you wash it use a microfiber mitt and 2 buckets. One has the clean water and the other the shampoo. What you do is dunk the mitt in the shampoo and wash a panel. Then dunk the mitt into the clean water and brush it lightly with your fingers. This gets the dirt out.

Then go back into the shampoo and repeat. When your done dry it with a waffle weave drying towel.

There is also heaps of info and opinions from various professionals on www.detailparadise.com.au/forums