Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Lakeside Breakfast Laps - Sat 14 Feb 2015

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by grandturismo View Post
    I couldn't agree more with that post Clay, these Happy Lap events are a fantastic way to learn how to drive on a track, so be very grateful and very respectful that you have this opportunity. There always seems to be some more experienced drivers at these events, so if you are a newbie or are keen to learn 'proper' lines follow one of these cars at a safe distance. Ask questions, don't be shy.

The 3-5 laps riding shotgun is a great idea for a newcomer. Safety is so important at Lakeside guys. Be considerate and do what you can to keep the great reputation the VW Watercooled group has with the staff at QR and Lakeside.

Relieved to hear the mishap was just some panel damage
    agreed! without vwwatercooled Happy Laps, below would probably never be achieved using da black Holf Ghay Taee Eee

Its worth entering the track last if you are new. Then you can go at your own pace and warm your tyres without faster cars up your rear. If your a faster car you also get to climb through the whole pack of cars which is fun too. Id be happy to take a newbie passenger just so they can at least learn the track before they jump in for themselves. Ive done defensive driving courses but I dont consider myself any kind of teacher.
    Last edited by TTS20; 15-02-2015 at 11:53 PM.
    2010 MY11 Volcano Red Audi TTS 12.2@111mph
    APR Stage 2+, BPS DSG Tune, Turbo XS downpipe, Autotech HPFP, GFB DV+
    DBA T3 Front Rotors, Brembo Rear Rotors, Remsa Brake Pads, Nitto Invo Tyres

Users Country Flag
    Wow looks like the fan got hit at this one. Maybe not too bad that I couldn't make it.

Regarding the strong possibility of the new driver rule having them ride shotgun with a HL vet I think that is a great idea. I'd say 3-5 laps is an ideal amount. Besides the first lap is generally very slow as we try to get everyone out on the track safely. I also think maybe an extended briefing would be a good idea for new drivers as well (e.g. emphasising not to push too hard and also to allow people to pass safely if they are following).

I remember my first HL at the beginning of 2012 I thought it was actually quite daunting, however taking it easy and following/watching peoples' lines helped. I do think a couple of laps riding shotgun would have been a good idea at the time too, anyways. The main issue I think comes down to people's ego. This is happy laps so letting people past should be a non-issue, even if a slower car is on your tail.

I'd be happy for someone to ride shotgun in mine, as long as you don't mind being in a frenchie (my engine is half German though! )
    Last edited by THE_EGG; 16-02-2015 at 02:50 AM.
    TRADED THE BEE'12 Sport Yellow/Black Citroen DS3 DSport THP155(155cv/153bhp) 6-spd manual w/ tech pack.

'18 BMW 125i M-Sport | Sunset Orange | Sunroof | ZF 8-spd auto

We miss you, Egg.

Here's a video. Cars start at 2:40 None of the accident though. When i got behind the Clio was when we started to come in
    Last edited by TTS20; 17-02-2015 at 07:45 AM.

Wow - so you were only out there for about 10 mins?

Unfortunate what's happened, guess there's always an element of risk when you do these things and perhaps some prior experience or some pointers would have gone a long way.

Looking forward to the next one!

Thanks TTS20 for putting that up, was cool to check out some footage of the day (if short).

Quote Originally Posted by thanos View Post
    Thanks TTS20 for putting that up, was cool to check out some footage of the day (if short).
    No prob, there's some other videos on my channel if you want to check out previous one and a few other things

Users Country Flag

clip from last Sat

smoother and proper lines = faster speed and easier on your tyres

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617