Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent Assistance Required

Users Country Flag

Urgent Assistance Required

Hoping someone can help with some advice?!

2009 VW Passat CC 2.0TDI (CBBB engine)

My partner went to pick-up some shopping, and on the way home she decided to put fuel in the vehicle. Cut a long story short - she accidentally put Shell V Power in the tank (31 L thereof) instead of diesel! Around 300m down the road from the service station after fuelling-up she stopped the car at the side of the road as the engine was noisy/rumbling. The car is parked in that spot on the road now and I confirmed via the service station purchase receipt and smell from the tank with the fuel cap removed, that petrol (Shell V Power) is now mixed with the diesel in the car's fuel tank. She did try and start the car and it wouldn't start, so petrol has obviously gone through the fuel delivery line and injectors.

I picked her up in another vehicle and the car is now parked on the side of the road until I decide what to do (it's a Sunday which doesn't help).

Now, I know that you can access the fuel tank easily in this car (diesel fuel pump hatch under back seat - have pulled it out before). Any thoughts/ideas on what I can/should do, or should I just organise an RACV tow on Monday to a VW mechanic and leave it with them? Any idea roughly on how long/how much to sort it out if the mechanic does the work?

Thanking you in advance!

Users Country Flag
    Get it towed (do not start the car), get the fuel tank and fuel lines drained and flushed and you might be lucky that is hasnt done any damage to your fuel pump/injectors etc. This (putting wrong fuel in the car) happens quite regularly so your mechanic should know what to do.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Lucas_R - car was driven from service station around the corner (about 300m).

VW mechanic doesn't have a spot to do it today, but said he can do it tomorrow - I need to organise a tow truck. He said they'll drain the tank and lines, put in a new fuel filter ($45) and flush the injectors with a flushing compound - said it should be okay, does them regularly?! Said it will be two hours labour all up. So, roughly expecting $350 - $400.

Found a mob called "Wrong Fuel Rescue" (national company founded in 2015 in Perth). They do this apparently 24/7? Fully-equipped vehicles to remove the worng fuel and flush at home or on the roadside? Anyone have experience with them?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
    Thanks Lucas_R - car was driven from service station around the corner (about 300m).

VW mechanic doesn't have a spot to do it today, but said he can do it tomorrow - I need to organise a tow truck. He said they'll drain the tank and lines, put in a new fuel filter ($45) and flush the injectors with a flushing compound - said it should be okay, does them regularly?! Said it will be two hours labour all up. So, roughly expecting $350 - $400.

Found a mob called "Wrong Fuel Rescue" (national company founded in 2015 in Perth). They do this apparently 24/7? Fully-equipped vehicles to remove the worng fuel and flush at home or on the roadside? Anyone have experience with them?
    It happens more often that you would expect. No experience with Wrong Fuel Rescue, but seeing your mechanic can do it tomorrow, you may as well stick with him. Sounds like he knows what needs to be done.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Ended up going with Wrong Fuel Rescue because it was going to be an issue getting it done by the mechanic. Anyway, very impressed - the guy who attended was quite young, but very knowledgeable, and his vehicle was fully, and impressively equipped - he told me he does 4 to 5 cars every single day. They allow an hour, but he was done in 35 minutes - very efficient. They use a vacuum pump and draw fuel out at the fuel tank (through filler line) and also at the fuel filter. He told me there was no need to change the fuel filter and said the TDI engine was never an issue (he's done many of them). Told me the cars that were more likely to have longer-term trouble were petrol-fuelled with diesel in them (happens regularly even though nozzles don't fit), and especially bi-turbos. Anyway, has been running perfectly (full tank of diesel). Said the worst cars he had to work on were a Ferrari and a V12 Bentley. Will report back if any problems!

Users Country Flag
    Good news. Happy motoring.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Okay, a week later and no issues at all - running very smoothly. Will be doing an oil change soon (due) and trusting all is good. Came across a stat that over 150,000 people put the wrong fuel in their car every year in the UK - that's an average of 411 every single day!

Quite a few weeks later and all is still good!!! Probably just cleaned the injectors!

I have a few vehicles and I notice that the oil in the Passat CC TDI gets blacker and dirtier a fair bit quicker than the diesel Land Rovers. Just an observation - will do an oil change tomorrow.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
    Quite a few weeks later and all is still good!!! Probably just cleaned the injectors!

I have a few vehicles and I notice that the oil in the Passat CC TDI gets blacker and dirtier a fair bit quicker than the diesel Land Rovers. Just an observation - will do an oil change tomorrow.
    Good to hear no further issues with your car. Yes the oil in modern diesels gets dark very quickly doesnt it. Its the oil absorbing the carbon and soot deposits etc in a modern diesel engine. I change the oil in my TDI every 6 months (approx 7,000-8,000kms) to keep it fresh - they say its fine for 15,000+km's, but not in my opinion. Your Land Rovers (depending on their age) may well be different, as they may not have DPF's and may also have larger oil capacities compared to your Passat, meaning it will take longer on the Land Rovers for the oil to turn dark.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Yeah, that makes sense. Might change the oil change interval then down to 8,000km! Yes, no DPFs on the LRs, and they take 7.2L of oil, so a fair bit more than the CC - they also use two separate oil filters - a cartridge style pleated paper oil filter and a centrifugal (spinner) oil filter, so the oil gets cleaned up pretty well!

Quick one for you if I can: I'm doing an oil change tomorrow on the Passat, but I don't seem to have a new oil sump plug (with the integrated washer). Is it critical to use a new sump plug in your experience (have always used a new one previously)? Just a bit of a pain going out to get one on a Saturday.
    Last edited by Deep Blue; 15-07-2022 at 08:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast