Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyre Pressure Warning Light - Can't See Forest For The Trees!

Users Country Flag

Tyre Pressure Warning Light - Can't See Forest For The Trees!

Okay,

2009 VW Passat CC 2.0L TDI (CBBB engine).

The tyre pressure warning light (on speedo) has been on for a week now - starts flashing (amber) when key put in and car started, then after 30s or so it just stays put on the dash (amber).

Tyre pressures all fine (have checked) and have tried re-setting with switch on centre console to set on high and low pressure settings - makes no difference.

Have read a bit about this here and elsewhere, but I get a bit muddled with all the info on how to fix this "non-critical" but annoying problem...

So, used Foxwell scanner (don't have VCDS) and get:

"Tire Pressure - 01521 - Sensor for Tire Pressure - sporadic 004 - No signal/communication"

Now, not quite sure how tyre pressure is sensed on each wheel and what needs to be done - read about older style direct TPMS and newer style indirect TPMS (uses ABS sensors on each wheel to measure rotational speed - flat tyre rotates more than others). Is there a step-by-step process of elimination to follow in order to find the suspect part/s?

Hope someone can shed some clarity on this.

Thank you for any help/assistance.
    Last edited by Deep Blue; 07-11-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Your tyre pressure sensors have batteries in them. They are at the end of the useful life.
    You'll need to replace the sensors, the batteries are embedded in them.
    Passat has direct TPMS using sensors in the tyre stems, with the receiver integrated in the CCM behind the glovebox.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Fantastic Kamold! What a relief! I guess then one of them has failed - flat battery resulting in sporadic signal. Would make sense to replace all four?!

So, just buy 4 sensors on eBay then and install? Do you know what the part number is?

I assume it's an easy job? Just remove each wheel and replace each sensor? Is there a pic somewhere or a guide?
    Last edited by Deep Blue; 08-11-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Ah! Checked a parts website - c.$200 per sensor! Yikes! So, including spare wheel that's c.$1000!

Know a bit more now - looks like wheels off, tyres deflated and then break bead on tyre to get to sensor - inside wheel? Maybe more trouble and expense than it's worth?

Users Country Flag
    Presumably you could disable TPMS in VCDS until you get to replacing the sensors to make that light go away.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Have a Foxwell (not VCDS) - will need to check if I can disable.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
    Have a Foxwell (not VCDS) - will need to check if I can disable.
    I've never used Foxwell (have VCDS) but these instructions might lead you to the right place, essentially you're telling the car the option isn't installed.

This bits might not be quite correct depending on the model and software, but you get the idea.

TPMS off (light)
    19-CAN Gateway
    07-Coding
    Coding Helper ----> Scroll down and check/uncheck 1 box

TPMS off (message)
    46-Central Conv.
    07-Coding
    Coding Helper ----> Scroll down and check/uncheck 1 box
    Source: VWVortex.com - how to disable tpms in mk5?

One thing that is mentioned in that thread is turning on the passive version which works on the rotational speed of the weels and is what models without pressure sensors do. I was looking at turning it on in my Golf, but without the reset switch you would need to pull out VCDS (or similar) every time it needed resetting... but you have the button so that might be your better option. The passive system isn't as sensitive as having dedicated sensors, but it's something.

This was the instructions for turning on the indirect TPMS (for the Mk6 Golf at least which is likely similar if your car has the required bits) :
    How to: retrofit indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring in 5 minutes. (7K6)
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 09-11-2019 at 09:22 AM.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    You can get a whole set for $200. Check Ebay.
    They are 433MHz sensors.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Ah, eBay - 433Mhz. Might be worth my while then?

Regards removing the sensors and replacing with new, I assume it's plug-and-play from an electrical point-of-view as long as they're 433MHz?

I assume I have to deflate each tyre in turn then and somehow pry the tyre back on the wheel where the valve is to get at the sensor on the inside of the wheel? Thought this would need a tyre shop - I only have have fairly basic tools...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast