Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Total Car Diagnostics" - Any thoughts on their VAG-COM alternative?

Users Country Flag

"Total Car Diagnostics" - Any thoughts on their VAG-COM alternative?

Came across "Total Car Diagnostics" (based in Byron Bay of all places) - see totalcardiagnostics.com.

Need to change my rear rotors and brake pads on my 2009 Passat CC. Problem is retracting the EPB. Told that the aforementioned have a reasonably priced cable and matching laptop software that I can use to interrogate/clear any codes, but more importantly retract that damned EPB.

Any knowledge/thoughts?

Users Country Flag
    I have purchased their Ross-Tech replica (without knowing it was a replica) for $141 in 2015.

VAG-COM VCDS 14.10 Software + VAGCOM 14.10 USB Cable

I thought it was a legit product, until one day it was mentioned on this forum, and a forum member got really furious about it (buying fake stuff).
    Anyway, it is not, look at the installation procedure below:

=============
    Software Download:
    =============

IMPORTANT Notes before installing:

1) Install below software BEFORE plugging in cable into your computer.

2) You MUST be disconnected from internet/WIFI before launching the software. If you're connected to internet, then interface won't be found.

3) DO NOT update the software to latest version, else it will not work. Only works on current version.

4) Registration is not needed. It's already registered/licensed per your full name.

The cable works as far as I can tell. I would have not bought it if I knew it was fake. I'd hate to rip off the people at Ross-Tech who are doing all the R&D.

Genuine Ross-Tech cables are expensive though. You might be able to get help from someone who already has the cable in the forums. there is section for that.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexed View Post
    I have purchased their Ross-Tech replica (without knowing it was a replica) for $141 in 2015.

VAG-COM VCDS 14.10 Software + VAGCOM 14.10 USB Cable

I thought it was a legit product, until one day it was mentioned on this forum, and a forum member got really furious about it (buying fake stuff).
    Anyway, it is not, look at the installation procedure below:

=============
    Software Download:
    =============

IMPORTANT Notes before installing:

1) Install below software BEFORE plugging in cable into your computer.

2) You MUST be disconnected from internet/WIFI before launching the software. If you're connected to internet, then interface won't be found.

3) DO NOT update the software to latest version, else it will not work. Only works on current version.

4) Registration is not needed. It's already registered/licensed per your full name.

The cable works as far as I can tell. I would have not bought it if I knew it was fake. I'd hate to rip off the people at Ross-Tech who are doing all the R&D.

Genuine Ross-Tech cables are expensive though. You might be able to get help from someone who already has the cable in the forums. there is section for that.
    Yes, it looks like their website is loaded with cheap copies of various tools, which you can also get of the ebay.

Yeah i have them, don't get it if you are purely doing VW. They are basically a compliation of various other OBD scanner software, and not the best ones by any means. I use their stuff for some other euro/domestics that i don't work on daily, which is enough to get me by.

Anything VAG i only use VCDS and have a real version.
    Volks Handy
    Servicing - Repairs - Diagnostics - Mobile fault scanning/clearing - A/c work
    10 years experience working for Audi/VW/Skoda
    Now in Perth NOR, Western Australia.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Snail Style View Post
    Yeah i have them, don't get it if you are purely doing VW. They are basically a compliation of various other OBD scanner software, and not the best ones by any means. I use their stuff for some other euro/domestics that i don't work on daily, which is enough to get me by.

Anything VAG i only use VCDS and have a real version.

Okay, got it! Looks like four options then with rear brakes (only need it for activating (fully retracting) EPB to change rear rotors and pads):

1. Buy VAG-COM from Ross-Tech - need to save-up!
    2. Get the dealer to do it - need a second mortgage!
    3. Borrow or rent a VAG-COM somehow from somewhere.
    4. Put a 12V battery across the EPB terminals and hope for the best?
    Last edited by DeepBlue; 19-10-2016 at 03:40 PM.

Users Country Flag
    How about 4th option - just visit a local independent mechanic who will have the skills and tools but won't charge like a dealer.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    How about 4th option - just visit a local independent mechanic who will have the skills and tools but won't charge like a dealer.
    Sorry, was actually an independent VW mechanic - quoted $2,400 to do front and rear rotors and pads!

Users Country Flag
    If you're planning on doing the work yourself you could bail up one of your fellow enthusiasts to either lend you the cable or lend a hand. Mind you in this case it's a little more involved than a little coding work, but there's plenty of us around with a genuine cable (myself included). Just be aware for most of us we are not experts so you need to have done the research and have some idea of what needs to be done and where to do it. (links to the instructions are handy).

Check out this thread:
    VAG-COM scanning, who can help

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
    Sorry, was actually an independent VW mechanic - quoted $2,400 to do front and rear rotors and pads!
    Wow, that is really expensive... In April 2015, I purchased 4 ATE rotors and 4 ceramic pads, my mechanic installed them for me, and I paid $1300 for parts and installation. Are we talking about the same thing here?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Vexed View Post
    Wow, that is really expensive... In April 2015, I purchased 4 ATE rotors and 4 ceramic pads, my mechanic installed them for me, and I paid $1300 for parts and installation. Are we talking about the same thing here?
    ...or was there anything else in the quote?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast